Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

failing with my second band

I used to have a 4cc band and got nearly to a normal weight. Then i had a pouch dilation and had to have a revision and they put in a 14cc band. The thing is huge. I have gained back 20 pounds and am out of all of my nice new clothes (again) and still haven't had reliable restriction. I know i need yet another fill; i've lost track of how many cc's i have but i think i am at 14. I asked why they used such a huge band on me and they said that there was a possibility of scar tissue so they needed a big one. Meanwhile, i get more depressed as my weight will not budge. Can anyone help?

Well...... it does sound like a problem of not enough restriction and that you will get there eventually. Your job in the meantime is to try not to gain. Easier said than done, but we have probably ALL lost weight without a band at some point in our lives.

I'm glad I had a 4cc band. It seemed to me that I had great restriction at every single stage, there was no "waiting for the sweet spot" at all. The restriction I had at each stage was perfect for me. I dont know why its been surpassed and isnt used anymore.

I have an 11 cc band, and I am at 11 cc. I still don't feel any restrictions. I was banded almost two years ago, and I have only lost about 23 pounds. I had lost about 28, but I have put some back on.

It is very frustrating because my doctor keeps expecting me to make all of the right choices. I keep trying to explain that if I could have done that, I wouldn't have needed the band. I am supposed to be getting some help from it, but I don't.

In the beginning I did really well even though I had no restriction, but like anything else, it's hard to maintain restricting your food intake, when you don't get full. I have had a couple of times where a smaller amount of food filled me, but it is a rarity.

I have finally stopped going in for fills, even though they tell me they can put more than the 11 cc's. I feel like I need to get back on track before I go back in so I can at least say I have tried.

I keep thinking there is something they could speculate about why I am not feeling any restriction, but they just tell me everyone is different. Meanwhile, I keep paying every time I go in for fill with no results. I have to pay my doctor, plus the hosipital, so it's over 100 per visit.

Sorry, just needed to vent. It's so frustrating to only be 20 less than when I started two years ago. I thought I would have lost at least 50 pounds by now.

I have an 11 cc band, and I am at 11 cc. I still don't feel any restrictions. I was banded almost two years ago, and I have only lost about 23 pounds. I had lost about 28, but I have put some back on.

It is very frustrating because my doctor keeps expecting me to make all of the right choices. I keep trying to explain that if I could have done that, I wouldn't have needed the band. I am supposed to be getting some help from it, but I don't.

In the beginning I did really well even though I had no restriction, but like anything else, it's hard to maintain restricting your food intake, when you don't get full. I have had a couple of times where a smaller amount of food filled me, but it is a rarity.

I have finally stopped going in for fills, even though they tell me they can put more than the 11 cc's. I feel like I need to get back on track before I go back in so I can at least say I have tried.

I keep thinking there is something they could speculate about why I am not feeling any restriction, but they just tell me everyone is different. Meanwhile, I keep paying every time I go in for fill with no results. I have to pay my doctor, plus the hosipital, so it's over 100 per visit.

Sorry, just needed to vent. It's so frustrating to only be 20 less than when I started two years ago. I thought I would have lost at least 50 pounds by now.

If you don't have any restriction, the band isn't working for you to help and you are in no better position than what you were in prior to banding. If making perfect choices all the time without restriction would work for you then you wouldn't have needed the band in the first place.

If you don't have restriction, why are you waiting to get back on track before getting a fill? When you have restriction and actually feel full . . . making the right choices becomes sooo much easier. You do need to take responsibility for making good choices such as Proteins first, avoid ice cream, etc. However, it is really important to allow the band to help you.

By not going in to get more fills when you don't have restriction, you are making a decision to not allow the band to do what it is intended to do. Fills are expensive, but necessary if you want to make this journey a success. Most people who do not succeed with the band stop using aftercare and support services . . . you don't want to fall into this category.

If it is important to you, and you wouldn't be posting if it wasn't important, take the next step and schedule an appointment. I wish you the best of luck in reaching restriction.

eyespy: not everyone is able to achieve that sweet spot. I have a 4cc band and have had zero to 3cc in it (3cc was too tight and had to have some taken out) and never had the sweet spot sensation. I had the worst of both worlds - hunger, not being satisfied but physically being unable to eat, reflux, heartburn and pain. Then I was at 2cc and got very stuck requiring a trip to the ER and overnight stay. All fill was removed. That was December. I have not gained any weight. I have lost 75lbs. but only 15 since I got the band in Sept. 2008. I follow all the rules, eat healthy foods, low fat, sugar free, whole grain, Protein - the whole bit. So, the band does not work the same way for everyone. While I do feel some restriction in the sense that I cannot eat as much food at one sitting as I did pre-band, in no way has this band EVER caused my hunger to go away and that was the main reason I got it. I am doing all of this on my own, so to speak. And being hungry a lot. Rarely satisfied (unless I eat more food than I should).

If you don't have any restriction, the band isn't working for you to help and you are in no better position than what you were in prior to banding. If making perfect choices all the time without restriction would work for you then you wouldn't have needed the band in the first place.

If you don't have restriction, why are you waiting to get back on track before getting a fill? When you have restriction and actually feel full . . . making the right choices becomes sooo much easier. You do need to take responsibility for making good choices such as Proteins first, avoid ice cream, etc. However, it is really important to allow the band to help you.

By not going in to get more fills when you don't have restriction, you are making a decision to not allow the band to do what it is intended to do. Fills are expensive, but necessary if you want to make this journey a success. Most people who do not succeed with the band stop using aftercare and support services . . . you don't want to fall into this category.

If it is important to you, and you wouldn't be posting if it wasn't important, take the next step and schedule an appointment. I wish you the best of luck in reaching restriction.

By the way, HeatherO, your baby is adorable. Big first birthday coming up! :(

I agree that I do need to go back in for another fill, but I have been going in every six weeks for two years. I did not mean to imply I am never going back, but I need an emotional break, and a financial one. I agree that I am basically trying to do this all on my own without any assistance from the band. I keep trying to explain this when I go in for a fill, but they don't get it. Yes I know I need to eat less and avoid certain foods, but if I could have done that correctly, I wouldn't have needed the band. That's what I told them. I wish they had more answers for me or at least thoughts about why this isn't working.

I agree that I do need to go back in for another fill, but I have been going in every six weeks for two years. I did not mean to imply I am never going back, but I need an emotional break, and a financial one. I agree that I am basically trying to do this all on my own without any assistance from the band. I keep trying to explain this when I go in for a fill, but they don't get it. Yes I know I need to eat less and avoid certain foods, but if I could have done that correctly, I wouldn't have needed the band. That's what I told them. I wish they had more answers for me or at least thoughts about why this isn't working.

Have you ever felt restriction? If you have been going every six weeks for two years and never felt it I would wonder if you have a leak. Do they extract the Fluid when you get a fill to measure the volume?

By the way, HeatherO, your baby is adorable. Big first birthday coming up! :smile:

Thanks :0) Her birthday will be here before I know it. I have to start making plans. :thumbup:

Yes, they take Fluid out every time and there is no leak. The same amount of Fluid comes out each time. On one occasion, I was too tight that I couldn't keep anything down, so they had to take some out. I thought the time after that would be the one. Only have I had a couple of times where I got the fullness sensation, and that was just slightly smaller than a normal size portion, but it was only for that meal and the next time I ate it was the same as usual.

I keep thinking that maybe I am missing something, but when I hear people describe how they feel when they eat, I know I am not experiencing what they are.

I know the band is there doing something because there are definitely foods that I have trouble with and certain times of the day that make it hard to eat. I just don't feel full. (and I mean a phsyical fullness not an emotional one.)

Is this just a terminology thing? The whole 'full' thing?

I never feel full, but I do feel 'not hungry' so when I do feel hungry I eat something and then I don't feel hungry....don't feel full either. Don't need to feel full, not hungry is where I like to be.

I have lost 40kg (88lbs) since Aug '09 with good food, no exercise other than walking and by feeling 'not hungry'.

I used to have a 4cc band and got nearly to a normal weight. Then i had a pouch dilation and had to have a revision and they put in a 14cc band. The thing is huge. I have gained back 20 pounds and am out of all of my nice new clothes (again) and still haven't had reliable restriction. I know i need yet another fill; i've lost track of how many cc's i have but i think i am at 14. I asked why they used such a huge band on me and they said that there was a possibility of scar tissue so they needed a big one. Meanwhile, i get more depressed as my weight will not budge. Can anyone help?

Hope the new band is working out better by now.

I have financial questions - did they charge again to put the second band in? Any fees?

I'm looking at a 2nd one and they want another $3500 after I've already paid $15000!

Gloria

If that's all they charge you you'll be getting off cheaply. I needed to buy a new band, pay for the operating room, anesthesia, the only thing they threw in was the removal of the old one.

It is going better now. I have over 12cc's in my 14cc band ( i thought at first it was 10 cc, but it is a 14cc band) and I can barely eat anything. So I'm back down to 163 again and size 10's are loose. I will keep going...

Hi all- I just wanted to share my experience. I was banded in 2006 and lost over 50 lbs. For the most part I was very happy except for the occasional "stuck" foods. Then when I reached my lowest (not quite goal) I started having horrible reflux. I had my band replaced a little over a year ago and I have gained all of my weight back!!:smile: The first band was a 4cc now I have a 10cc and I have not found any restriction. I am soooo discouraged because I was never able to loose weight prior to my (first) band and now I feel like this second band just doesn't want to work! I go in for yet another fill soon and I plan to talk to the doc about another type of surgery- maybe vertical sleeve? I know the band or any other surgery isn't perfect, but to have gained all of my weight back is so disappointing and depressing!! :scared2: