Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The many faces of Sleep Apnea

I am taking delivery of my CPAP tomorrow. I was thinkg how wonderful I am going to look with my mask on. Then it hit me, i thougth it would be funny to start a thread of pictures with our CPAP's. I would be the first to post but dont have mine yet. So show us your sexy sleep apnea poses!!

ts?t=17848082580029551420&pid=23296&ppid=9 This is how I feel I look with it on but I don't have or dare have an actual picture. This is the actual mask I have to wear. flexifit-hc407-nasal-mask-cpap-bipap.gif

So as you an see the two pics are very similar. Anyway I do sleep better and have a very tolerant husband which helps a lot! Good luck with yours Nancy.:blushing:

I do sleep testing for a living and always tell my patients: You are so much sexier to your significant other with your mask on. It's not very sexy listening to you snort, snore, gasp choke, and moan. Or to wonder if your next apnea will be the last breath you never take!

I don't have a significant other, but the cats don't seem to mind it. I look very silly, but I sleep very well. My only problem right now is that I had a skin cancer removed so my left cheek is flat and my mask leaks. I have to get my face filled so I can sleep. Amazing what a difference sleep makes in your life.

I live alone and have nobody to take my picture but this one is real close:

darth-vader.gif

My pets never complained about my snoring. That is because my dogs snore louder than me.

Well it came last night! Like a little kid with a new toy I couldnt wait to go to bed. Uh, yea. I lasted 5 hours then it came off. I did sleep, and slept good. The machine is set at 13, kinda over powering while on my side. Give me some time today and I will post pics.

It took me only one night to get used to mine. Its a full face mask ( cause I tend to sleep with my mouth open) but I sleep so good with it that now I sleep all night and it doesnt bother me at all. My husband doesnt even mind. He just didnt want something horrible to happen to me. So he loves the mask. :frown: Mine is set on 12 and I have been using it for 8 months. When I first put it one before I ramp, I dont even notice how strong it is. Alot of times I dont even need to ramp. Im just used to it. Good luck with yours.:frown:

It took me weeks to get used to mine and four different masks. My machine is set 6-14. It adjusts according to the resistance, so it's usually around 6-8 when I check it.

I am single so i dont really care how i look in.. But I have never really slept with it on :wink2:

Now that I have lost weight my apnea is cured! I sold my cpap at a garage sale!

Now that I have lost weight my apnea is cured! I sold my cpap at a garage sale!

did you have another sleep study? or do you just feel that you are sleeping better?

did you have another sleep study? or do you just feel that you are sleeping better?

Before I had my machine I would sit straight up in bed and suck in a huge breath of air.(it scared the crap out of my husband) now I don't even snore. I don't have insurance anymore so I didn't do another study but I feel much better now. I actually sleep better now than I did with the cpap.

I started out with a mask that just covered my nose, but I can't hardly breathe through my nose, and usually end up with my mouth open. So... I switched to a full face mask. Some nights I can only wear it for 4-5 hours, but I still can't tell the difference yet. I try, but I have a hard time sleeping with it. Better now that I can open my mouth, but it just feels strange to me and I wake up perodically during the night.

Oh, and the ironic thing was that I originally had the LAP-BAND® to get rid of my apnea. After I'd had my surgery and lost about 40 lbs, I was still exhausted. They did all types of blood tests to make sure I was getting all of my nutrients. Since I had a history of sleep apnea (untreated) my doc suggested I go back in for another study. I thought it was useless since my hubby had been bragging that he was sleeping so much better b/c I had quit snoring. Apparently I still had the apnea even after weight loss. I was seriously bummed! I almost refused the mask b/c I felt like I was being punished for being fat and was losing weight, but somedays I have so little energy, it's horrible.

Apnea isn't really just a fat thing. It runs in my family, only a few of whom are obese. My sister is pretty big and doesn't have it. I got it and, like I said, genetic defect. I'll always have it. Took four different masks to get mine a good fit. If you don't like your mask, try another one. They also have a strap to hold your mouth shut. I couldn't stand the full face mask at all, or the just nasal one. Every time I moved it lost it's seal. My best friend uses a gel mask. I use an air cushion mask so I don't have something clamped so tight to my head.

I took a while to get used to it. Still don't love it, but everyone around me likes that I am not crabby and tired all the time.