Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid diet

I didn't really delineate between "meals" while on liquids, except to try to have a savory type flavor (chicken broth).

during liquids I had:

Water

crystal light (not pre-mixed)

broth - low sodium

J-ello - sugar-free

sugar free Popsicles

Protein shake

I see alot of people have listed things like Gatorade, and other high-calorie drinks - while these may taste a little better they are detrimental to your actual weightloss because they don't allow you to "detox" from the processed sugars.

good luck!

I actually think you need SOME calories, lol, and that even Gatorade is fine. This is not a time for worrying about weight loss but a time for your body to get over surgery and for your stomach to heal allowing those stitches to really anchor your band. All the things dcox listed are great and sip on lots of Water. It really passes fast. About the time you start getting really hungry and sick of liquids it will be time to move on to mushies. I should add that there is a clear liquid protien drink called Isopure, you can get them at GNC. I really felt better drinking an Isopure and some Propel/and-or/Gatorade daily, just knowing my body was still getting some of the nutrients it needed to help with a speedy recovery. It is reassuring to hear how others got through the liquid phase, but remember that your dietician will give you ideas and guidelines that your doctor wants you to follow.

• Cream of chicken Soup made with milk or chicken broth, ran it thru the blender and strained it, I made this up 2-3 cans at a time, strained it and put it in my refrigerator, so I could just pour a cup and microwave.
  • sugar free Jell-o with coolwhip
  • Slim-Fast High Protein, chocolate was my favorite.
  • All the Campbells Condensed Soups can be thinned down enough to strain. I did a lot of the bean one (Beans are high in protein).
  • EGGNOG -- OH MY GOSH, I Love that stuff. But you want to watch its high caloric value.
  • Sugar free icecream (just make sure its liquid when it goes down)
  • All fruit Popsicles.
  • Lots and LOTS of bottled Water, I found that it helped me to do bottled because I had to drink 1 bottle every 2 hours to stay hydrated.
  • Apple juice, but I had to cut it with Water because the acid got to me. (Someone suggested to me getting the baby juices because they have alot of the acidity taken out, but I didn't try that)
  • MILK, lots of milk, chocolate, white, strawberry you name it.
  • HOT COCOA was my salvation, bought the sugar free mix and made it with Milk to get the Protein, I added flavors to that too.
  • JAMBA juice --- I watched what I choose, tending to stay to the peachy ones, and asked them to "blend the hell out of it". My doctor also suggested Orange Julius drinks. Both of which you can ask to have protein added to.

I didn't do many of the mixes, but greatly disliked the Myoplex stuff, YUCK. Carnation instant Breakfast worked too, but it didn't have enough Protein for my liking.

Some of the greatest advice I got was try some of the stuff out before surgery, because the few days out from surgery you aren't going to want to "think through" what you are going to consume, you just want to open the refrigerator and have something to eat.

Also, warm stuff seems to trigger my head that I'm eating so I tended to make a point of having something warm for major meals.