Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone else GAINING weight before banding?

I had my initial consultation with Dr. Geiss on 12/22/09, and since then, I have gained a significant amount of weight. I don't know exactly how much because I have not been on the scale, but I can tell by the way my clothes are[not] fitting.

I have a surgery date of 3/31/10 and am so excited to start my new life afterwards. I am just a bit concerned with this weight I've gained since my consult in December.

I am embarassed to go back to Dr. Geiss on the 24th for my pre-surgical testing - and have them see I've gained weight since I've last been there!

Has anyone else had this same experience?

Depending on how much you've gained, he may postpone surgery because your liver is too fat.

Good luck

Yes, I understand that, but I haven't even started the pre-surgical liquid diet yet.

I've gained my weight between the initial consult, through the medical clearences. Perhaps I should start the liquid diet sooner than 7 days before my surgery.

I would be much more concerned if I were gaining weight on the liquid diet, but that is not my situation.

I am scheduled to start the liquid diet on the 24th. Maybe I will start it on the 22nd instead.

Michelle, I gained weight after my initial consult which was in August. My surgery date kept getting postponed due to the discovery of health issues that needed to be addressed. I got discouraged as a result and ended up gaining 9 pounds.

I finally got a surgery date, I met with the nutritionist, I got on the liquid diet and then I met with the surgeon. After 2 days of the liquid diet I'd lost 3 of the 9 pounds, but the surgeon was not happy.

My surgery may be postponed if I can't lose additional weight over the next 3 days. I am being 100% compliant with the liquid diet and I can feel the difference. I'm sure I'm losing weight.

If I were you, I would go on the liquid diet or some restricted diet before you meet with the surgeon.

Drasan,

Thanks so much for your advice - I think you are right. I will start a modified diet as soon as I get my liquid diet supplies delivered - I ordered them yesterday.

I'm hoping I didn't gain much more than you - but I won't know until I get the courage to step on the scale.

Yes I have gained weight too!!! And I know it is because I am eating like a pig. I have to start my liquid diet on Monday - in two days and three nights. I am hoping 2 weeks of liquids will at least get me to where I was when I decided on the lap band. I have gained 15lbs. My surgery date is on 3/23 in Mexico.

My doctor did monthly weight checks between my first consult and my surgery--even after I had met the requirements for insurance approval.

If your doctor doesn't do this, I really wouldn't worry too much. Many doctors want their patients to demonstrate a commitment to change before surgery. But it seems that just as many recognize that many people have a sort of prolonged Last Supper syndrome.

If you're worried, call the doctor's office and ask what the doctor's stance is. If it is a concern, ask to see the nutritionist/dietitian before your appointment.

Hey girl I was banded by Dr Geiss ova the summer..He's like the #1 recommended Surgon for Gastric Banding in NY...Very popular doc/hospital, dats y I chose him...but anyways I was in the same situation as u...I think I gained like 5-10 pounds after meeting with him...Best thing to do is focus and lose weight with your liquid diet. You have a good 4 weeks before your surgury, you will def lose weight but most importantly SHRINK UR LIVER (and thats what the liquid diet will help u accomplish)...Dont stress yourself over gaining like 5 pounds, we all know why we got the lap band 2 begin with and that's because we have weight loss problems. So dont dwell on the gainings just focus on your goal of losing 10-15 pounds by the 31st. And if it makes you feel better, I lost 15 pounds post op and after my surgury I asked him if my liver was small and he said no but he worked around it...I asked him about his other patients for that day and he told me their livers were big as well...But he still did the surgury. So just focus on losing weight and you will be good!

MsFab,

That's great about your progress - I hope I can be as successful as you!

Dr. Geiss is great - I feel totally comfortable with him and his staff.

I have decided to start the liquid pre-op diet as soon as the products arrive.

I will also start excersizing at that time, I have been putting that off.

I do think this "last supper" syndrome is very self-destructive, and it is surely as much a mental battle as a physical one.

Michelle .. I just weighed in and I've lost 10 lbs in 8 days on the liquid diet. My surgery is a go .. March 10th! I am so relieved.

I really needed the liquid diet to interrupt my bad eating habits AND the liquid diet has not been as difficult as I thought it might be.

Good luck to you. I think you have a good plan.

I went through the last supper thing too. I gained 20 pounds. I thought I had to eat everything for the last time. WRONG, don't do it. Several reasons. Your liver will be too large and he may postpone. It's not your last supper. You can have things in moderation later. It's not like you'll never get to eat certain foods again. You just have to learn a new way of handling them. The worst part for me was, I went for a preop visit with my gp and was weighed. At my postop visit 2 months later I had lost 22 pounds so I was happy with surgery. However in her eyes I hadn't lost any weight. I got questions..lol! It was kinda depressing and made me realize I could be smaller right now :biggrin:

Mushsbat,

I am not excited about getting on my scale and finding out how much weight I have gained. I know it is going to be a lot. I think I may have even put on MORE than 20lbs in the past 3 months.

I am starting my liquid/protein diet on Monday.

UPDATE!!

I finally dared to step on the scale last night and I have not gained a single pound. I could hardly believe it, so I stepped off and on a bunch of times just to verify it!

I am so relieved, I really was thinking I had packed on the pounds!

It must have been all mental, while I was recognizing my "last supper" behavior, maybe?

I thought I was going to get banded last August so I did a few Last Suppers and then started my own preop diet and lost 15 pounds. Then the surgery did not happen (a long story) and I had to postpone and get a new surgeon. I gained back the fifteen and put on 5 more. This week I have started back on my diet (two Protein shakes, Breakfast and lunch, and very lean chicken breast and steamed veggies at dinner - I am not cutting down to 3 oz of chicken and half a cup of veggies, though) because I am scheduled to get my band April 7!!!!!!!!

I ate a lot of Last Suppers between September and now - 20 pounds worth - so I know what you are talking about. Every day I would dream up one more thing I was going to miss. I actually got to the point I was tired of trying to think of things to eat.

I have been on my diet for 5 days now, I am feeling much better energy wise, and have lost 9 pounds. I know most of it is Water, but I feel so much less bloated up.

I am determined not to get to my surgery and be turned away.

I had my initial intake in January 2010. I then scheduled my surgeon's consult for March 25. Two weeks ago I got my paperwork for the surgery and it said if I gain weight between the intake and my surgeon's consult then they may not schedule my surgery. If they do schedule it and I gain any weight between my consult and the surgery they will cancel it and if I don't lose the required weight before surgery to shrink my liver they may cancel it. Wish I had known that at the intake visit in January instead of just finding out two weeks ago. I am starting to replace one meal a day this next week and then work my way up to the all meals once I am told to start the all liquid diet. Hopefull I will lose a little weight doing this way until I start the all liquid diet. Needless to say I am weighing myself daily. I have a tendency to retain Fluid and my legs/feet swell up and as luck would have it, they have been swelling a lot the past few days since my doctor switched up my BP meds.

...last suppers...try not to think of it as something you will miss. At some point you could have those foods again in extreme moderation so look at it as you will get it later. If you go on the thinking you will NEVER have it again then you will pig out on it and pay for that. I could list a lot of foods I love and know I won't have for a long while. Is it worth it to pig on it now?? No it's not. My sugery hopefully will be mid april. I will know March 25. We can all do it if we stick together.

Edited by anglov
more to say...