Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anti-inflammatory Meds a No No?

Hi All-

I had surgery alittle under a year ago- my question is my surgeon says no anti-inflammatory meds (example: Ibuprofen). I never asked him the reason why. I have had my PCP tell me to take ibuprofen for this & that lately, but I've reminded him that I can't since I had surgery. I'm just curious if anyone knows the medical reasoning? I do plan to ask my surgeon next time I see him, but just curious for now. Thanks!

The reason that I was told Alleve, Ibuprophen Motrin etc were not "allowed" is because when you swallow them they will tend to land in the same spot of your "pouch" everytime and that they can cause ulcers. I have heard of other people taking the Liqui-gel caps because they will go right through the band, but check with your surgeon first!

Before banding I took Alleve nearly daily for knee & back pain, but hopefully as the weight comes off there will be less knee & back pain! :thumbup:

I asked my surgeon about NSAIDS and he said they were'nt a problem. I will ask the Nurse Practioner though as she sometimes gives me different answers.

As always, follow your surgeon's advice.

My surgeon said no NSAIDs on a regular basis, but once in a while is OK for me.

They are rough on the stomach.

I also read on a bariatric surgeon's website that he doesn't have a problem with his band patients taking them as their stomachs haven't been cut the way bypass patients' stomachs have been. For what it's worth.

Edited by Cocoabean
grammar

I asked and was told that they are not a problem. I had the same fear because I read on this website that people couldn't have them anymore, and ibuprofen is my go-to pain reliever for cramps and headaches and everything. She said no it's no problem, there are lots of rumors that float around, but it is not a problem. So, I guess every doctor is different.

My PCP gave me darvoset for my pain because I can not take ibuprophen it really helps yet won't mess with my tummy. Talk to your doctor there are other things they can give you that work just as well.

I take children's liquid motrin. I actually feel it works better than the over the counter pills. I just dont want a pill stuck in my pouch stomach. Pills that are not fully swallowed can cause erosion and ulcers. I know that happened to a lady in my support group. if u take pills, just make sure to drink lots of Water and make it go down well...if u feel it stuck, keep drinking!

Thanks for everyone's responses! I called the bariatric pharmacist- her input for my surgeon is that we are not to take them since even 1 dose could cause an ulcer. Ulcers are hard to treat & depending upon where it is could lead to the band being removed. If my PCP feels that the benefits outway the risks, he must get ahold of my surgeon.

That's me pretty much quoting her. Ibuprofen was recommended by my PCP for my time of the month over tylenol or pamprin. So I guess I'll just suffer through the sucky time of the month. :smile2: