Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

banded, banding, bands--verb--To assemble or unite in a group

Well, unfortunately, it didn't happen. My hiatal hernia was so large they aborted and closed me up again and sent me home. My only option now is a gastric bybass along with the hernia repair, which I'm not sure I want to do. It's such a big procedure. I see my doctor next Tuesday to discuss options.

However, while I'm very bummed, I will simply continue the work I have been doing.

Thank you for your support. What would you do in my case? Please be honest- I'm going to need to be getting lots of opinions.

Welcome back, Bob aka Mark, etc. We missed you lots!

Oh Anne, I am SO sorry!! I can't imagine how upset you must be! As Crystl mentioned, why the heck didn't they fix the hernia while they had you open to avoid another surgery? I don't understand why they can't band you after it's fixed--I've read many posts about people who had to have the repair done then the band (and some that have had them both done at once). Any way to get a second opinion on that or is this a special circumstance, like the position of the hernia, size, etc.?

You have already been living like a bandster and losing like a bandster and you're almost in Onederland (if not already!) Honestly, look at all you've accomplished! I could see getting the band if you were pushing 300 lbs, but you are approaching the 100's, girl! You can do this and BAND or NO BAND, we are all here for you!!!! I would honestly continue on your path for another month or two and see where you are. I honestly don't see you needing to go through such a risky and permanent procedure when you are under 200 lbs (but then again, that's just my humble opinion :o).

We are here for you! And you will be in my prayers as you continue to weigh your options (no pun intended).

xo

Oh Anne, I am SO sorry!! I can't imagine how upset you must be! As Crystl mentioned, why the heck didn't they fix the hernia while they had you open to avoid another surgery? I don't understand why they can't band you after it's fixed--I've read many posts about people who had to have the repair done then the band (and some that have had them both done at once). Any way to get a second opinion on that or is this a special circumstance, like the position of the hernia, size, etc.?

You have already been living like a bandster and losing like a bandster and you're almost in Onederland (if not already!) Honestly, look at all you've accomplished! I could see getting the band if you were pushing 300 lbs, but you are approaching the 100's, girl! You can do this and BAND or NO BAND, we are all here for you!!!! I would honestly continue on your path for another month or two and see where you are. I honestly don't see you needing to go through such a risky and permanent procedure when you are under 200 lbs (but then again, that's just my humble opinion :o).

We are here for you! And you will be in my prayers as you continue to weigh your options (no pun intended).

xo

Anne, so sorry you did not have the surgery. I know how disappointing that could be. You have some tough decisions, and I am no expert on either surgery, but I have to agree with Karen. The gastric bypass, with it's rapid weight loss seems unecessary when you are under 200lbs. I would definitely get a second opinion

Thanks so much for all of your feedback- please keep it coming!

I think the reason my doctor didn't repair the hernia yesterday is that my stomach is so misshapen he wants to do everything at once when he goes in again. He did consult in the OR with the other, more senior, doctor in the practice.

At this point, even with my relatively low bmi I am leaning to the least invasive bypass surgery, possibly the gastric sleeve. My problems with weight and food and regaining weight lost are the same as they would be if I weighed 300 pounds. I have to weigh (no pun intended) the risks of bypass surgery against the long term risks of obesity and yo-yo dieting. I'm not so concerned with the rate of loss as I am with regaining what is lost.

I'm feeling better today in spite of my disappointment, and clearer-headed. I am certainly committed to continuing my momentum, and at the same time I have to be realistic about my abilities.

I'm sure going to have a lot to talk about with my doctor come Tuesday!

Edited by AnneGG

Anne--The sleeve is my backup plan, if something ever happens and I had to remove my band that is what I will do. Now if my Dr said I wasn't a candidate for that because I had some physical reason, then bypass would be my last option and I cant really say if I would do it or not. I have found during my life that I said I would "never" do something but then 10 years later there I am doing it so I try and keep my mind open. I guess I would have to decide if it was worth it to me, I think there are definite costs but there are benefits too. After you talk to the Dr. and if he says GB is your only option then you could do a pro/con sheet and see if its worth it to you.

After I was grown my mother married a man who has a daughter my age, so we are stepsisters but I barely know her. She had GB about 5 years ago and has lost 100% of her excess weight. She says that she never even gets hungry anymore. But that is really the only person I know personally who has had it. If you have a Facebook and want to see pics of her, PM me and I will tell you who she is on my FB. I don't know if she would want me to post it to the whole world.

I am doing so well and am grateful for 15 lbs lost so far in four weeks. I got my first fill Tuesday and I do feel some extra restriction and no problem with backing up. I am learning when to stop. Keeping my cals at 1100 to 1400. This week has been emotional as my beautiful Mom is very sick and they say it is time to call in hospice. She is so precious to me and I am doing alot of praying and crying and talking. My mind is set I am not going to medicate myself with more food than my body needs....not this time.

Keep our family in your thots and prayers. This is tough!

Lee Anne, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I went through it with my mom 4 1/2 years ago and It changed my world. My thoughts are with you and yours. I gained a great deal of weight during that time ..... it's so rough.

Hi everyone! Note to self, artichokes are NOT band friendly! Owie!

Anne, sorry you did not get a band. But better that than all sorts of complications! If I were to lose my band, I'd be willing to get GB. I know it is drastic, but so is obesity. I don't know much about the sleeve. Just that my insurance doesn't cover it, yet.

Bob! Welcome back! Congrats on your losses!

Anne--so sorry about the complications. I, personally, would never do bypass but many people do. It's permanently altering your body and I just wouldn't risk it. I will remember you in my prayers that you make the decision that is right for you. Bob-welcome back thinatheart-so sorry about your mom. That's a tough one and you, too, are in my prayers. Nothing new to report here. Just checking in and wanted to see how everyone is. Love, Dottie

Good morning everyone.

Lee Anne-- I'm sorry to hear about your Mom, we will be thinking about you.

Denise-- Hows the BP?

Christie--Heres to being a sophomore again! :rolleyes:

I did it, after a 10 day plateau, I lost a pound yesterday and one today, so I am at 141. I think from here on out that is how it is probably going to be, I am going to have to wait 10 days and then lose a pound or two. I finished week 4 of C25K today, the runnings seems to be the only thing helping me. I am "running" (jogging is more like it) 16 out of 32 minutes. My BB says it burns 293 calories, so I am looking forward to being able to run the whole 35 min. Maybe I can burn 350 or 400. Next Friday I am suppose to run 20 min without stopping :rolleyes:, I am very nervous about that.

Edited by LeighaMason

Hey Leigha, way to go! Those last few pounds will be the buggers of the bunch!!

My BP is still in the toilet. But yesterday and today I did see the top number reach into triple digits! Yay. My energy level is still pretty low, and I get winded very easily. I have been using the salt shaker with glee, hoping that will bring it up.

The 24 hour heart monitor came back normal, so that was good news, but no answer.

They are going to do a colonoscopy on June 18, woopie. Since I have still been having some issues with that, and they don't have a definite diagnosis on the c.diff. UGH.

The good news? I am down another pound! Need to update my ticker! If this keeps up, I'll reach goal by being sick...yeah, not the best way to go about it. I think Leigha's way is MUCH better! :rolleyes:

I had once again been tossing about the idea of a fill, until I got uber stuck on the artichoke last night. Plus I am not gaining weight and am so close to goal, I probably don't really need one.

I hope everyone is enjoying a long weekend. The weather finally feels like spring to me.

We bought a little boat and took it to a lake on Saturday. The wind was blowing a little too much for comfort, but at least I caught my first fish! I couldn't eat it though. I have felt really tight the past couple days (too tight). I'm not sure what's up with that, but have not been able to eat much in the solid form. The plus side is that I dropped a couple pounds. If it stays this tight I may have to get that tiny .1cc removed. I'll ride it out for a bit to see how it goes.

We are going to go to another little lake today. I hope everyone is enjoying the weekend!

Anne--I'm so sorry!!! I personally don't think that I would go through with a bypass...maybe a sleeve, but even then it would take me a loooonnnnggggg time to think about it and weigh every option. Just my opinion though and only you know what is best and right for YOU. Please stay with us though...we are all here to support you no matter which road you travel!

Denise-glad the heart monitor came back a-ok!

Leigha-congrats on breaking through the plateau

Bob-are you back for good??

Guess what....the other morning I stepped on the scale...and ONEDERLAND!!!!!! :smile2: (of course after this weekend...it prob won't be lol) I can't wait for the day I am permanently in ONDERLAND and not just 1st thing in the morning. I also went to Kohl's...and shopped out of the regular size dept!!!!! I did wander into the plus size out of habit I guess. Of course I still need to buy some big things. (guys cover your eyes lol) I was trying to buy a bra and even the DD was too small. I found a really cute sundress on sale for $10 and it fit everywhere perfectly cept there and it wasn't pretty. It looked all squished and was pouring out of the top and sides :thumbup:. I'd get a boob job once I am done losing, but it kinda scares me.

Stacie - I am back but maybe for bad :rolleyes:

Denise - I've been told that smoking is what makes my blood pressure spike. I don't think your doctor would prescribe it though.

Leigha - congrats on the scale movement. I just broke one myself.

Christie - congrats on the 220's! That is the point where I seriously start looking for a plastic surgeon. I'm about 16 pounds out from 225.

Not a whole lot new here. 3 day weekends suck because they fly by. I spent the weekend sucking down Guinness and was afraid to step on the scale. I did this morning only to find out I lost another 2 pounds. I need to get this Guinness diet published. There would be no shortage of guy to try it out.

Well, I am for sure too tight. I am having trouble with everything. I have myself freaked out a bit thinking my band has slipped or something. That tight feeling like morning tightness stays all day. I can't eat any food.< /p>

Yesterday my Protein Shake was just too thick. I nursed it for a long time and then couldn't finish the last 1/3. Several hours later I tried a pre-bottled yogurt smoothie.< /p>

I had to just drink a bit and put it back in the cooler for awhile before I took it out and drank a bit more. Everything gives me that feeling of being stuck. I don't know how much dehydration would play a role. I know I have not been drinking enough, so yesterday I tried to drink more. It didn't seem to help. I tried to eat a couple bites of chilli last night and it was not a good feeling just after a few tiny bites. I am getting that stuck burpy feeling just tryng a few sips of coffee right now. I really have to work Today, Weds. & Thurs this week. I'm going to call my Dr. and see if I can get a tiny unfill Friday. I'm really feeling weak and just hope to make it through 3 work days. It's strange I feel like this so long after that last .1cc fill.

Edited by Humming Bird

Ugh! I'm so annoyed! We went to a Yankee game on Saturday and in the morning my husband took the battery for the digital camera off the charger and turned the camera on and said "Honey! The memory is full." So I told him that everything on it was already uploaded to the computer. After he handed it to me and I deleted all the pics I remembered I hadn't uploaded my "before" pics :rolleyes: