Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I read this as it is ok to DRINK DIET COKE IF I POUR IT OVER ICE AND DON'T USE A STRAW. Even though our Dr. says I would suggest you don't drink anything with fizz. or carbonation. I just find it funny that we all find ways to make it sound ok. To do the things we know we should not be doing.

Honestly I am not attacking you personally I am generalizing as a whole. This is how this is meant. I have done this my whole life.

If I eat 2 cheese burger's instead of one Big mac I could still have the fry's from the kids happy meal and they can have he big frys. But I will not have the real coke I have the Diet after it goes flat. In an hour or so and it wont really be that much as there is Ice in it too. so I get the big one super size me please. Oh what the hell I eat the big frys too. Go get me some ketchup.:wub::):thumbup:

Well this is why we got the band don't you think?

Well this is why we got the band don't you think?

You missed the point (Did your Dr say it is ok to drink pop)? that is all. :)

You missed the point (Did your Dr say it is ok to drink pop)? that is all. :)

Well what I have noticed here in the forum is that there as many different opinions on what should be consumed as there are doctors. The general idea I got from it is that each of us needs to listen to our bodies and use common sense. I stated that I occasionally have a diet coke if I really crave it, after I pour it over ice and let the bubbles go. That is a little different than the double cheeseburger analogy you were talking about. I do not abuse my band but I also know what happens to me if I ignore cravings for an extended period of time. I don't see how any of this hurts anything if I am not experiencing pain, and it is occasional. Cheers!!!

Well what I have noticed here in the forum is that there as many different opinions on what should be consumed as there are doctors. The general idea I got from it is that each of us needs to listen to our bodies and use common sense. I stated that I occasionally have a diet coke if I really crave it, after I pour it over ice and let the bubbles go. That is a little different than the double cheeseburger analogy you were talking about. I do not abuse my band but I also know what happens to me if I ignore cravings for an extended period of time. I don't see how any of this hurts anything if I am not experiencing pain, and it is occasional. Cheers!!!

JoJo,

My surgeon said if I really wanted the diet pop, I could have it *but* that most people have a problem with the carbonation. He suggested that if I really wanted it to let it go flat first. It's a myth that the carbonation will expand your pouch.

Some people's comfort zone is in obedience without question to their doctors...and that's ok...but they find it difficult to deal with people who see their caregivers as just one more 'book' of knowledge.

I've gone to great lengths to choose my doctors. I made appointments, paid their office fee and 'interviewed' many before choosing them. Not just my bariatric surgeon, but my gynecologist, internal medicine, endocrinologist, etc. I respect their knowledge and judgment immensely...but ultimately, this is my body and *I* will make the final decision on how to treat it.

I require a 'reason' for why I should or should not do something. In the case of the pop, there was no surgical/health reason to give it up *BUT* there were other reasons. Studies show that the 'sweetness' (even of diet pop) and sodium actually increase the cravings to eat. Also, the chemicals used to create carbonation prevent our bodies from absorbing the Calcium our bones need (if I understand the explanation correctly) increasing our risk of osteoporosis. Based on that information, I chose to give up the pop, but others may not find the reasons compelling enough.

I agree with you, by the way, on the craving issue. If I'm craving something, I'll tell myself, not today, but if I want it tomorrow, I'll have it. Usually, the next morning, I don't want it...but if I do, I'll have it. Sometimes those cravings go away because they're just a momentary weakness. My doc and I were talking about this and she said that's a very healthy way to deal with our cravings because she agreed that if we completely deny ourselves, at some point we'll go overboard and binge. We won't have that *one* cookie we've been craving. We'll eat the whole bag.

Here's my view on questions like this. if you want to get the best results(better than 50%EWL), follow your doctors instructions as closely as you can. If there is a band rule that you don't think you can live with, talk to your doctor about it, be honest and see what wiggle room you have, but make those decisions with your eyes wide open and be accountable for your decisions.I'm sorry if some of you don't like the answer but its reallyu important to be honest with ourselves and our doctors, if we want results.

Here's my view on questions like this. if you want to get the best results(better than 50%EWL), follow your doctors instructions as closely as you can. If there is a band rule that you don't think you can live with, talk to your doctor about it, be honest and see what wiggle room you have, but make those decisions with your eyes wide open and be accountable for your decisions.I'm sorry if some of you don't like the answer but its reallyu important to be honest with ourselves and our doctors, if we want results.

I don't think anyone here has said they aren't being honest, aren't keeping their eyes wide open and not being accountable. In fact, we've said that we are making 'informed decisions'. :wink:

What I find extremely frustrating is when people tell me I don't know what I'm talking about or am wrong just because it disagrees with their own perceptions or experiences. This is a process for all of us...and just as there is no one 'right' diet for everyone, this journey with the band will be just as unique.

I don't think anyone here has said they aren't being honest, aren't keeping their eyes wide open and not being accountable. In fact, we've said that we are making 'informed decisions'. :eek:

What I find extremely frustrating is when people tell me I don't know what I'm talking about or am wrong just because it disagrees with their own perceptions or experiences. This is a process for all of us...and just as there is no one 'right' diet for everyone, this journey with the band will be just as unique.

Reading your posts,it sounds like you are all about being accountable and doing what's right for you and your body, and working closely with your doctor to find solutions to make the band work for you. I think that's what we all need to be doing!:wink:

I think it just depends on your surgeon/doctor - my doctor and nutritionalist said that after 6 months, diet was okay (as long as your body is able to tolerate it, of course). In fact, most of the nurses/admin people in his office are banded, and most of them drink diet pop. Of course, not in excess, but it's still allowed.

Bottom line - listen to your doctor and your body.

Reading your posts,it sounds like you are all about being accountable and doing what's right for you and your body, and working closely with your doctor to find solutions to make the band work for you. I think that's what we all need to be doing!:wink:

I agree. It makes no sense to go through all of this just to try and find ways to beat the band.

I asked my Dr just the other week if I could have a ginger ale (DIET) as this is the only thing that I truly craved and missed. I explained that I had visions of a frosty glass filled with crushed ice and ginger ale (yes, DIET).

Well, he looked at me and said sure but understand that the discomfort may not be worth it.

Well, I ran out and bought a 12-pk of seagrams ginger ale (DIET) and got my frosty glass w/crushed ice preparing myself for total satisfaction. Hmmm, it was okay and he was right - the fantasy was truly overrated. The gas pain wasn't worth it.

I'm a believer in following my Dr's orders and asking permission of things that I question (that damn ginger ale). Needless to say, I haven't had the craving again and even considering the discomfort it was worth ridding myself of the craving.

I've found pain to be a great 'aversion therapy'.

I'm not a big soda fan but I do drink beer pretty much every weekend. It's fine with my Doc, just don't forget to account for the extra calories.

There is no "standard procedure". Every doc is different. My theory is that you need to follow the advice of the person you will turn to if you have a problem, as in your doctor. If you think your doc is full of crap, find another one.

Reading the forums you will see that there is a WIDE range of doctor's opinions. My doc is at one end of the spectrum, I had no pre-band diet, no comments on smoking, solids after one week, I can eat or drink anything I want (just less than before), no limitations on caffeine, alcohol, carbonation, etc. He does "fill holidays" where he'll unfill you before a vacation and fill you back up afterwards for the price of one fill. His attitude is you still need to live life to the fullest. Your doc may be different. I chose mine carefully after talking to a few docs because he made sense to me.

As long as you listen to your doc and don't cheat with sliders, you will lose weight. I hit 100% of my goal in about a year and now at 1.5 years I'm 10 lbs under. No complications and no stress, scale watching or calorie counting. I'm not on a diet, I have permanently changed my behavior. This is what works for me. YMMV.

arthukd: The maker of the band state in their literature that carbonation can cause band erosion. Why would you want to risk it? Also, beer is full of sugar.

carbonation causing band erosion wasn't in any of the literature my doctor gave me and I have read on this site posts from surgeons that say it is a myth. I have also read two books on WLS and one specifically on lapband...no where did it say carbonation will cause erosion or slippage. My sister has been banded for 4 years and I have seen her consume 6 beers over the course of a day while tailgating at a college football game and she has lost over 80 lbs and had NO problems....I chose to live my life and I like beer and diet coke...do I drink it every day? No but I might once a week or every other week.

I said in earlier posts that I occasionally crave diet coke but the truth is that at one time I was a diet coke-aholic. I drank it all day long at work, and all evening at home. I read in forums and I think even in my surgeons written material, that it wasn't good for the band so I was nervous about being able to stay away from it after the surgery. I was pleasantly surprised however, because I did not crave it after the surgery. I still wanted some low carb things to drink though as I had not learned to like Water yet. I went through all the diet Vitamin waters and the gatorade low carb one, but the only one I really liked was Diet Green Tea. I still drink it once a day but I have finally learned to prefer water. The main reason I have not pushed the diet coke thing is because it is a true statistic, that people who drink pop of any kind weigh more than people who don't. I figured I was better off without it, and now my husband has also stopped drinking it. He says it makes him feel fat. (He is thin) The current situation makes me happy so cheers to all!!

arthukd: The maker of the band state in their literature that carbonation can cause band erosion. Why would you want to risk it? Also, beer is full of sugar.

some doctors say this is actually a myth. Exactly how can somthing erode something it doesn't touch? soda goes inside your stomach..band sits on the outside....water doesn't run in side your house when it rains (unless y ou've sprung a leak!) so this doesn't even make sense.

My sister's been banded a year. She drinks FOUNTAIN SODA ONLY...and has no issues with it. (She's also dropped close to 100lbs so it hasn't hurt her weight loss any.) I'm a month out, I drank two sips from her drink and it went down fine. A little more pressure than I'm used to (gas like) but over all fine. I think it depends on the person and what their body will tolerate.