Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you keep busy to avoid eating?

I have really re-focused and buckled down with my eating these past 2 weeks. In addition, I have been cleaning and organizing to occupy my hands and mind. House has never been so together! LOL

I don't have a hobby like knitting or crafting to keep me busy, though I want to start scrap booking. What do you do occupy yourself to avoid the obsessing about food?

Can't wait to start working outside. Bye Bye snow!

This is such a great topic because so many of us eat out of bordum. I changed my whole thinking process.... instead of eating in front of the TV, I started doing things that will make me prettier if I am watching TV. Like a manicure or pedicure or facial or dying my hair. I also do a lot of weight training if I have a show I simply MUST watch! :redface: Other than that- same thing- house has never been cleaner! Haha! I love the idea that we are improving our lives all around! :redface:

Try going out for a walk or hitting the gym. Not only will it keep you busy it will burn some calories and personally, nothing makes me feel better than a good workout!

i start cleaning my house, i do the laundry and stuff.....plus i go to the gym which keeps me from not doing anything and wanting to eat. when i want to relax, i read and that helps me too. try it, you´ll notice the difference.:redface:

Great thread- I am not working and get very bored. I too have been busy around the house. I go to the gym every other day, on the other days I do a step aerobic tape at home. I have also taken to walking around the mall, not to buy but just to look around. I stay out of the food court lol.

What a great thread! I have not had the band yet - still in my 6 month supervised diet phase but to keep myself from eating I read, surf the net, quilt, do my nails during my favorite shows, whitening my teeth, and anything and I do mean ANYTHING..... to keep my hands busy and my mind off food.< /p>

I try to find things I LIKE to do--so housework? Not one of them! I don't want to feel doubly-punished!

Usually, I submerge myself in a good book, work, or exercise.

I try to find things I LIKE to do--so housework? Not one of them! I don't want to feel doubly-punished!

Usually, I submerge myself in a good book, work, or exercise.

Haha I can so relate to you... Well, I keep my kitchen and bathroom clean and make my bed etc... But I don't do spring cleaning type of stuff like cleaning out closets and dusting all the nick nacks... This is my boyfriends house and his wife collected a lot of cute things (She passed away 7 years ago), and he won't part with them or let me put them away so there they sit collecting dust... I'll hire a cleaning company before I try and tackle all this stuff that is not mine... LOL... I work from home, so I have that to occupy me for a few hours, then I go visit my grandkids and play with them, or watch Law and order or Criminal minds in the evening with my BF.... Before October 25th when I fell down in the mountains and blew out my knee we did a lot of hiking together and I look forward to being able to resume that when my Dr and Physical Therapists say I'm good to go....

Sounds like a good plan. I am trying the same technique to clean and try do so things around house or read to keep my mind and hands busy and not obsess about eating. Scrapbooking sounds fun too, I thought about that myself.

Believe it or not, I cook or research recipes - why not feed the food obsession through planning good choices? I watch food network, and try to find new ways to cook things we can eat in a new way so I really can enjoy when I do eat?

I plan out food for the week, and when I will shop, and exactly what I'll need. If I find something on sale, or think of something new when at the store, I come back and find a way to cook it.

Also, I keep a glass of cold crystal light near me when watching tv. Today I blended up cottage cheese with some ranch dressing mix and used it as a dip for peppers and for wheat thins. I couldn't eat my eggs this morning, so was trying to find some Protein that would go down (I'd already had 2 shakes).

Oh cottage cheese with ranch dressing mix, that sounds SO good. And what a way to get in protien, I need to re work my brain around meat being the only way to get that in -

I gotta start making lists lol.. that and some veggies would make a great lunch woudlnt it? Or hummus... hm you have me thinking.. !!

Oh on topic here - when i "think" i am hungry i get a big glass of Water and I search the internet for new dinner recipies,, i know might think it is weird when trying to forget about food to be loking it up but i get so into finding new things to cook, expecially crock pot stuff that i totally forget i thought i was hungry lol

I also read, knit, and play an online computer game, and go to the gym,, except this week ive been total bum about the gym.

Whillow,

I don't think it's weird at all. I love to browse through cooking magazines or books and have subscriptions online to food & Wine, Fine Cooking and Cooks Illustrated. Reading the recipes is almost as good as eating them. :redface:

I hate the cold so I rarely get out in the winter. Once spring comes, my garden will keep me busy. In the meantime, when I'm not working, I play computer games, get involved in various forums, etc. What I don't do is watch a lot of tv. All the food ads just make me crave the food.

I also keep a glass of crystal lite near me at all times. I find that it keeps my taste buds occupied.

I read threads on lapbandtalk. Mess around on Facebook, scrapbook, read, go shopping whatever.

Anything except housework which I only do as a last resort!