Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost inches but no pounds

Has anyone else found that they are losing inches, but the damn scale won't budge?? My scale appears to be stuck...and it's not just mine, it's the one at work too!!! However, my clothes are fitting better, I bought a smaller pair of pants, people are commenting on how much weight I've lost. People tell me they can see it in my belly and my face that I've lost weight. Why won't the scale move? Am I just rearranging? I eat right, and I work out, I know muscle weighs more than fat, but I'm selfish and I want to move that ticker!!!!! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

I have also been stuck for a few weeks. It is hard to focus on other things but we have to. Just be glad the inches are moving. I try to just focus on the fact that my jeans are looser and I feel fabulous. The pounds will come along too. I stay away from the scale for a week because if I weigh too often, I become more obsessed with it. Congrats on your progress!!!

I totally understand. My numbers are moving so slowly but my clothes are falling off of me. The pants I wore to work today can be taken off without whiled still zipped and buttoned! I too would like to see the numbers go down, but ... I'll accept smaller sizes for now ... beats the alternative! LOL

I have been having the same problem... I was banded on 01/27/10 and I have only lost 3-4 pounds since surgery. However, I have lost at least one dress size and can't really wear any of the pants I wore pre-op. I have resorted to wearing dresses since they are more forgiving when losing weight and do not need to be replaced as often. The good news is that I no longer have to buy an XL or (gasp) a 2X anymore! Don't lose hope! :thumbdown:

I had the exact same thing last week I didnt lose a single pound but when I put slacks on to go to work yesterday they were much looser in the thighs so I decided I would take that instead. I dont care what the scales say as long as I am happy with the body I have. (This is what I keep telling myself, anyway.):thumbdown:

I am so with you!!! Mine is stuck big time. But I've moved down a size, and am feeling better. Still sucks, though.

YAY!!!!! Isnt it awesome!!!! We are getting smaller!!!!!!!!!

Im into my 4th week of P90X workouts:tt2:, and although I have only lost 1 1/2 pounds im getting smalller:wink:! SO, what that tells me is that im building muscle. And we all know that 1 pound of muscle is SMALLER than 1 pound of fat! My jeans are going on better, even just out of the dryer! By the end of the day they are falling down. My sweatshirts are bagging off me. SO intead of a 5 pound weight loss maybe ive gained 3 pounds of muscle and burned some fat! More muscle means stronger bones, better metabolism (more calories burned:biggrin:) and more energy! IM HAPPY!

OHHHHH! My belly has a FLAT spot on it!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!! My butt looks higher!!!! YAY!!!!!! My ankles are BONEY!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!! Does it get any better than this!!!!!!???

Soon, we will see the scale move in the southern direction. It will al balance out in the end.:thumbup:

I too am having a bit of frustration with this. I am now down 33 lbs. But, I'm becoming obsessed with the scale because it isn't moving. I have been losing inches, because my clothes are smaller. I just had a fill this past Monday and lost about 5 lbs within 2 days. (I'm now at 5.5cc's in my 10cc band) I haven't lost anything since and am having a terrible time getting things down. I've had to switch back to mostly soft foods. I also had my first experience with getting sick on what I ate. I now know that Bagels don't work for me anymore. That stinks too, because I love bagels. Keep up the exercising and I know that the scall will just drop all of a sudden.:thumbup:

Edited by hamltmom

I cannot keep myself from getting frustrated when I weigh myself too often. I have to put the scales away and only get them out on Saturday morning. I feel like I get more validation that way. I did finally lose 2lbs this week so I feel wonderful today. I learned about the scale thing from my many years of weight watchers and I learned that I do much better if I follow this one rule.

I find i will go a few weeks losing pretty good then it stops for a week or 2 and i lose inches,, then the pounds start again.. its like a crazy cycle.. i try to concentrate on the clothing that is getting looser - I too have 2 pairs of jeans i can put on and take off with them zipped and buttoned, i finally stopped wearing them and moved into 2 pairs that were hiding in the chest - now they are getting lose -

funny story here, the 1 pairs i am wearing right now were both in the laundry and i needed to run out for a minute to do a quick errand, i still have the way too lose one but i threw them on anyway - they nearly fell off walking down the hallway lmao...

it's normal!!! :redface: My surgeon made sure i fully understood that inches would come off first..i lost 30 pounds in the first few weeks after surgery (which was 7/7/09) and then the scale just stopped...however, by 6 weeks out of surgery, i was down 4 inches on EACH MEASUREMENT of my torso..chest -4, hips -4, bust -4, waist -4...so even though the scale wasn't moving anymore my clothes were still getting way too big and everyone kept saying how much smaller I was getting...but i was getting frustrated at the same time because as THRILLED as i was, i wanted to see that damn scale MOVE DOWN!

Now i'm 7 1/2 months post-op, i've had my 4th fill in January and i'm LOSING EASILY AGAIN!!!!!!! :redface: After each fill i would drop a few pounds the next day and then the scale would just stop again..this time i dropped 8 pounds in 3 days and it's slowed down but i'm still losing!! :)

Dont' get discouraged...the scale WILL start moving again! Just try to believe everyone when they tell you that they see the difference...it took me awhile to really believe it but i do now!

Thanks everyone, I really needed this thread tonight... I have been on and off stuck since last June...and want to move that ticker. When I first hit 50 pounds down (I was banded 1/20/09), I was thrilled and told everyone in my family, at work, etc.

Since then I have only lost 4 more pounds though my clothes continue to go down, and I was happy when I did my measurements on my anniversary.

But the doc and others around me don't seem to understand and keep still asking me about the numbers. I am trying hard not to focus on them, but it's tough.

I swim 3-4 days a week (between 25-40 laps each time) - do I need to do something else?? Suggestions? I have had some trouble with my heels and shoulders, so only have tried the workouts in the pool (no gravity).

How long do you swim? I also have joint issues so I swim every day. I try to do 60 minutes of continuous lap swimming. I use a waterproof MP3 player which really helps pass the time.

Hink can i ask what kind of Water proof mp3 you use.. I was looking for one, but all the ones in my price range had bad reviews.. what do you use?

The 3 weekdays I swim 40-60 min, and Saturday 75 min. I try to mix up the order of the laps I do, switching up the strokes throughout the hour. Usually the minimum days I do 5 breast stroke, 5-7 back stroke, 12 free, 2 side. The max days I do 15 free, 12-15 back, 10-12 breast, 2-5 side, and add some Water PT exercises, leg lifts, knee bends, lunges in the shallow, and Water sprints, treading, leg lifts (legs together and separately), and side leg splits.

I just used goggles for the first time Saturday, and it's so beautiful under there. It helped a lot. I have some good ear plugs, and use the lane markers to help me count the laps so I can think about other things while swimming - plan out my day if a work day, or brainstorm other fun things too.

What do you do during your laps? I wish I could do every day, but the pool at the University I work for gets really busy when the students are in town, so 7-8am 3 days a week is what is available and reasonable (2-3 people per lane, any other time it's 4-6!)