Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Negative Self Talk

How many of you engage in subconscious negative self talk? What do you find your "mind's eye" saying to yourself? I'm am learing about this in therapy and find it fascinating. Now I am becoming more aware of what my mind says to myself. Just curious about this...

Hi there! My therapist has me working on this also. It's hard work but I can make myself feel better pretty often doing it. Some days, not so much, lol! There's a great book that has Negative Thinking in the title -- it's from several years ago, but I think it's excellent. If you search for negative thinking, look for a book with a burgundy or black cover. It's a little expensive, $23 or so. Good luck to you and thanks for the reminder that I have to keep at it!

Tonya

I posted this a while ago. Thanks for responding. I guess unless you're in deep analysis you don't really understand what "negative self talk" is. I will look for the book. I, too, am recognizing now when I do it (neg. self talk) and making the necessary corrections to it. Best wishes!!!

This is something I have to make a concerted effort to work on. It's hard to change after a lifetime of having certain negative beliefs about yourself. I truly believe that thoughts create reality. I've come to the realization that my negative thoughts have brought me to this place - being morbidly obese - and the really the only way to overcome it, along with the help of the band, is to change my thoughts.

I'm not in therapy (probably should be), but have been reading a lot - Eckhart Tolle, Marianne Williamson. Are you working on any concrete exercises to help change the habit? I'm seriously considering doing the rubber band around the wrist thing to literally "snap" myself out of it when I go to that negative place. LOL.

I think the mental aspect of this journey is this most critical to success. The band removes the distraction of constantly thinking about food to allow us to get to the real nitty gritty.

Yes, my therapist and I do visual imagery a lot. Many times she leads me, in my mind, to when I was a little girl. I have found out that my family glorified food. We had big celebrations and Sunday roast beef. Everything centered around food. And, of course, my mother always had me on a diet; taking my to doctors and trying to figure out what was wrong with me. Just knowing this has helped reverse the negative inner voice. I have learned a lot about myself through therapy. It's the best thing I've ever done for myself.