Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crazy Question but im Super Curious..

Was anybody on their cycle when they went into the hospital to get the actual surgery.. My period is regular and my surgery date is around the same time. I want to know how that went!

*laughs* Well, it was funny... I went to the toilet while I was in reception waiting, then finally got inside. It was literally as I was changing into the hospital gown I noticed that my period started! So somewhere in that 15min period it decided to show!

I had to get a nurse to give me something. hehe was so embarrassed, and amused, because I'd been reading about this a few days beforehand here on the forum.

As far as I know, they don't worry too much about it. You won't be allowed to wear a tampon because of the toxic risk it'd have for the amount of time you might wear it but you should be ok. Just have some 'extra large night time/pregnancy ones' if you know you'll be heavy.

I think that for some of us, the shock and stress of the surgery in the system actully can stop it for a day or twoo, or delay it. Some docs might even stop it themselves with pills.

Lol. well hopefully it's not on during surgery! That would suck because I'm heavy most of the time.

im worried about that too! im on birth control and i think im supposed to stop it before surgery, so i would more than likely be on my period on the day of it! i hope it stops before then!!

I asked the nurse what they do in that case and she says the put a large disposable pad under you during surgery it happens all the time they are use to it. Lisa

I had mine on the big day and they just gave me a jumbo pad and these mesh panties that were very comfy. The nurse was very sweet and told me it's frequent for ladies she thinks it's brought on by the rapid weight loss of the pre-op diets and the stress / nerves. I was super embarrassed but they were certainly used to it.

Yep, Auntie Flo appeared two days prior to surgery and I wasn't allowed to have anything on:scared2:. I was mortified, but they assured me it isn't a big deal to them at all. It happens all of the time.

Yeah, I wasn't allowed anything either but for one of those huuuuuge pad things you use to potty train your dogs....

So very very awkward. Especially waking up to find out that they cleaned you afterwards.

But don't worry, they're used to it, and hey, getting banded beats bleeding a bit.

I was on my period for surgery... used a tampon, told them too , they said if I had cotton underwear I could keep it on with a pad if I liked.

It was no big deal.

I also had my period on my surgery day. I wore a tampon and did not think to tell anyone about it. I did not realize this was against the rules! :thumbup:

Oh yes! I was so embarrassed, but they assured me this is common. I was kind of a mess when surgery was over, but what can I say, I'm only human lol.:thumbup:

I know this can be a source of embarrassment and worry, but as a nursing student, I can assure no one will think twice about it. And just think of it this way, you'll never see those OR nurses again and your doc probably won't even know. :thumbup: Good luck to you!