Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coach to 5k (who wants to run?)

and what one are you doing?

Cool Running :: The Couch-to-5K Running Plan

Scroll down and the plan is there.... it's 8 weeks with 3 variations to choose. I'm starting week 3 tomorrow, so tomorrow I'll be doing this:

5 min warm up walk, then 2 repetitions of:

Jog 90 seconds, Walk 90 seconds

Jog 3 minutes, Walk 3 minutes

Then cool down walk for 5 minutes

I don't really go by the length of time they tell me, If I can do more, i do more. It should be 20 minutes but I haven't done less than 30 yet. I'm really trying to push myself.

It's definitely been getting easier, but I still hate running. My goal has been to fun a 5K with my friends (and not just hold up signs for them at the end of the race like I usually do- soooo embarrassing) It may take me longer than everyone, but I will DO IT!!

Running at 225 pounds would cause far more harm to my joints than any benefit I could get out of running, but I'm up for 'walking'.

My husband and his 80 year old mother have decided they want to walk the Mackinaw bridge next Labor Day (5 miles I think) and, as much as I intensely hate crowds, I'd like to do it with them. So I'm in.

I'm doing this as well. I'm should be on Week 3 but I'm repeating Week 2 as I just don't have the stamina to move up yet. I like it so far and I'd love to be a runner! I'm also hoping this will jumpstart some weight loss (still in preband land - hoping to be banded in July). I'm hoping to RUN a 5K and then do the 3 Day Walk for the Cure in November. Here's to us JOGGERS! :thumbup:

I'm doing this as well. I'm should be on Week 3 but I'm repeating Week 2 as I just don't have the stamina to move up yet. I like it so far and I'd love to be a runner! I'm also hoping this will jumpstart some weight loss (still in preband land - hoping to be banded in July). I'm hoping to RUN a 5K and then do the 3 Day Walk for the Cure in November. Here's to us JOGGERS! :thumbup:

I hear ya!! I started week 3 today. And BOY was it rough. So far I've been doing such short bursts of running that a full 3 minutes was real tough. I felt like a total wuss, but I know that it will get easier as I build more stamina. And I love getting it out of the way in the morning, I feel great all day long.

Congrats to all the others on this journey, it's a wonderful challenge for us all!

Running a 5k has been a goal for me since I was banded in September '09. I recently started running on the treadmill and as much as I hate it...I love it! I totally want to train for this and 8 weeks will be over before you know it and we'll all be runners...good luck everyone!:rolleyes2:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE C25K! I'm on Week 5 Day 1 tomorrow. I definitely recommend taking a day between your running. Your body has to rest.

Also, be aware of the possibility of shin splints, typically a beginner's injury. You have to have new shoes, and I recommend LEARNING how to run. A running store (Fleet Feet is my closest) can help you.

I am in LOVE with running, and always thought it would be something I could never do, even when I was younger and more athletic (playing tennis, basketball) -- I always thought running was beyond my ability. I am registered for two 5Ks in the next two months. :rolleyes2:

Hello, awesome I just started a 10 week couch to 5k on Monday. I would love some support and would like to join you guys. I am only on the 3rd day. I have so much restriction I find it a challenge to get 800 calories in everyday. I usually drink the Protein Shake for Breakfast and have a small meal for lunch and dinner. I get full so fast within 3-4 bites. I have been having a Protein Bar before bed to increase calories. Does this sound normal? Good Luck everyone on their running

I hate to run, but love challenges. Also I love the Walking to running method...slowly. So which plan is the 2 month plan? I see the 7 month one only?

I hate to run, but love challenges. Also I love the Walking to running method...slowly. So which plan is the 2 month plan? I see the 7 month one only?

This is the one I do. I'm on W7D1 tomorrow.

Cool Running :: The Couch-to-5K Running Plan

For those with boob problems, ya'll may want to look into getting a sports bra like at Fleet Feet. The brand I got from there is Moving Comfort. They make bras for big chested woman, and they really do help. I walked/run a half-marathon in one last April, and my boobs didn't hurt at all afterwards.

I'll have to check into this program you guys r using to train. I've been dying to become a runner. I used to play sports a lot but have always been very slow and I'd get tired very easy. I just started playing soccer again and I'm having the same problems. So, I set a goal for myself to run a mile in under 10 minutes. I have been training myself on the treadmill at my gym. When I first started I could only run for 2 minutes, but I was dying! Just today I ran a mile in 12:50 at 5.2 miles per hour. I'm getting much closer to my goal and I'm SO excited! I plan on entering a 8k on March 6th which is in 2 weeks. It will be my first one :frown: I cant wait!

Surgery Date: 10/26/09

Starting: 260

Pre Op: 236

Current: 208

weight.png

I love the C25K program! I was running before when I lost a ton of weight (~100 pounds)-- I got all the way up to half marathon distance, tried a marathon and hurt myself. But I got almost down to my goal weight marathon training, before the injury happened. Of course when I stopped running, much of the weight came back on.

I get my band on Friday-- when I'm healed enough, I'm lacing up my running shoes! Maybe I'll just stick with the 5-10Ks from now on! :tongue_smilie:

I like this program. I've looked at it online and it makes a lot of sense. I just had my surgery 3 weeks ago, and my stomach still feels a little tender when I try to run, so I am doing a "pre-c25k," which is walking briskly on the treadmill for 30 minutes. I can't wait to start week 1. I've already registered for a 5K on June 5th, so hopefully I will be ready. :tongue_smilie: