Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Women only: 1st fill, period, weight gain

Ok, So I recieved my first fill on the 2nd while on my cycle and I have gained weight since the fill.

1st, my cycle has come on WHILE on my active birth control pills. It has been full force for over a week. Could this be because of my 40 + weight loss since November?

2nd, I got my fill and has not felt ANY restriction. It is almost like I didnt go. Now I weigh myself this morning and have gained 2.5 pounds this week. Could it be because of this pesty cycle?

I need to know before I go workout and pull a muscle LOL. This is driving me crazy in more ways than one. And it doesnt help that I am snowed in with cabin fever. Everything I see I want. I need to get out of this house.

HELP!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

Ok, So I recieved my first fill on the 2nd while on my cycle and I have gained weight since the fill.

1st, my cycle has come on WHILE on my active birth control pills. It has been full force for over a week. Could this be because of my 40 + weight loss since November?

2nd, I got my fill and has not felt ANY restriction. It is almost like I didnt go. Now I weigh myself this morning and have gained 2.5 pounds this week. Could it be because of this pesty cycle?

I need to know before I go workout and pull a muscle LOL. This is driving me crazy in more ways than one. And it doesnt help that I am snowed in with cabin fever. Everything I see I want. I need to get out of this house.

HELP!!!!!!!!:)

I think that you might want to call your GYN because you shouldn't have your cycle for a week on birth control pills. They might need to change them. And also when I was taking the pill I gained alot of weight, so you could be gaining weight on them also.

I'm tighter when I menstruate, sometimes its hard to eat but as it tapers off I become looser. So maybe you felt a bit of restriction at first b/c of your cycle and as it begins to end you no longer have that extra tightness. Some female bandsters avoid doing fills during their period for that reason.

If your still too loose give your doctor a call when you are no longer snowed in

good luck :thumbup:

I recently started back on my BCP and while taking active pills, my period started and it's been going for a week and a half! Very heavy and very frustrating!!! It's the same pills I was taking prior to surgery, which when I was taking them before, I either didn't have periods or it only lasted a day or two. But, I've lost 45lbs since I stopped taking them in September, so maybe that has somthing to do with it. I see my PCP on Monday, so I'll ask her, but geez, enough already! Tomorrow's Valentine's Day! LOL!

I recently started back on my BCP and while taking active pills, my period started and it's been going for a week and a half! Very heavy and very frustrating!!! It's the same pills I was taking prior to surgery, which when I was taking them before, I either didn't have periods or it only lasted a day or two. But, I've lost 45lbs since I stopped taking them in September, so maybe that has somthing to do with it. I see my PCP on Monday, so I'll ask her, but geez, enough already! Tomorrow's Valentine's Day! LOL!

Same here, girl! I stopped my BCP (Seasonique) in November with my consult, and had surgery on 1/7/10. Got to go back on BCP on 2/8/10 with doc's permission at my first fill...and the period started on 2/10/10. UGH! It hasn't ended, it's still heavy, and the cramping has been more than I've ever had in my life...even had to take a day off of work! :smile:

I read in another thread that estrogen is stored in fat cells...perhaps losing a bunch of weight rapidly in 2010 has pissed off my uterus? Uterus...I hate you at the moment.

Same here, girl! I stopped my BCP (Seasonique) in November with my consult, and had surgery on 1/7/10. Got to go back on BCP on 2/8/10 with doc's permission at my first fill...and the period started on 2/10/10. UGH! It hasn't ended, it's still heavy, and the cramping has been more than I've ever had in my life...even had to take a day off of work! :angry:

I read in another thread that estrogen is stored in fat cells...perhaps losing a bunch of weight rapidly in 2010 has pissed off my uterus? Uterus...I hate you at the moment.

LOL! I second that!

My cramps have been awful too, and I usually don't have cramps. I'll have to look up that whole thing on estrogen. But, if I have to put up with this to lose weight, I'll do it. I won't like it, but I'll put up with it!

I haven't had a fill yet, but definately have had the strangest cycle of my life. I started spotting a couple of days before surgery and then the day after surgery the floodgates opened ( I should say I'm very irregular and it had been 98 days since my last period). Cramps were so bad I was grateful for the liquid pain meds. It's finally tapered off to spotting nearly 12 days later - so annoying.

:biggrin:

I haven't had a fill yet, but definately have had the strangest cycle of my life. I started spotting a couple of days before surgery and then the day after surgery the floodgates opened ( I should say I'm very irregular and it had been 98 days since my last period). Cramps were so bad I was grateful for the liquid pain meds. It's finally tapered off to spotting nearly 12 days later - so annoying.

:confused:

I hate being the person who brings the mood down, but perhaps you have PCOS? Being heavy, intensely irregular and having painful cramps are three of the signs. (But then again, so are brownish Patches of skin on the arms)

I was banded on 2/3, and I got my period a few hours after I awoke from my surgery, while still in recovery. It was one week early. It was a very heavy painful period. Today (3/5) I got my period again, and now, Not only is it painful, I am extremely bloated and gassy, and I feel more restricted. I ate 4 oz of chicken and 1/2 cup of cooked kale, and I feel like I ate way too much. I need to do some research about estrogen and fat cells. That would explain a lot.

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence on this site about rapid weight loss affecting one's cycle, usually making it much heavier and more painful. It evens itself out after a couple of months. The reports about the effects of your cycle on restriction are very different for each individual - some people feel much tighter during their period, others feel much less restriction.

My personal experiences were that my periods got heavier and more painful for about 6 months after the op (when I was losing weight at the fastest pace) but it's all back to normal now. I get starving hungry on the day before I'm due and can eat everything in sight! This eases off by Day 2 after I start and my appetite returns to normal. On the day (or day after) I finish, I usually see a 2-3lb sudden drop in weight, which I put down to letting go of all the Fluid retention from the previous week.

Everyone is different but your experiences are by no means unusual.