Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why is my band so fickle now???

I get first bite syndrome. My esophagus spasms for awhile when I first eat and takes FOREVER to calm down. I've given up on eating at night because of it. I don't understand why it's this way now, after having had the band for several years. I was completely unfilled for my pregnancy and it started after I have been getting fills ever since. Anyone else have this?????? It's really driving me crazy. I'm burping stuff up all freakin day long!

Hi Puddin!

I've not been pregnant with a band, but from everything I've read here over the years its very very common for the band to play up after pregnancy. You may not be able to tolerate as much fill as you did before, for example.

I dont know why/how or what to do about it, just that it seems to be very common.

Hey Puddin -

I have a theory, but only a theory as to why it might be fickle. I have noticed that my band reacts (and my weight loss) to the time of the month it is. I am tighter around the time of my period and mid-month and I get Migraines that seem to be hormonal also. I guess I wouldn't be surprised if yours is also like this after pregnancy. I had a miscarriage about 4 years ago and it took my body almost a year with medical intervention to figure out I wasn't pregnant anymore. Hormones can reek havoc on your body and with a pregnancy, it will take time for your body to adjust to pre-pregnancy hormone levels again. This is something that your physician can check with a blood test.

Then again, my theory might be full of crap. Just trying to help. By the way, I took a look at your pictures and you look AWESOME! Congratulations!

emjay, that is very possible and the only thing I can think of. I just don't know how to get rid of it now.

By the way, I'm filled to only a 1.8. I was filled to a 3.2 before I was pregnant. If my esophagus can calm down during the day I'm wide open and can eat a ton.

Puddin - I've been having that problem off and on for over a year. A recent endoscopy determined I had Eosinophilic Esophagitis. My surgeon treated it with Prevacid and a steroid but I still threw up and had reflux. He determined that my hiatal hernia needed repaired (again). My surgery is scheduled in 2 weeks and finally it is calming down a bit. I can eat and not suffer from reflux, but I'm completely unfilled. He seems to think that I can go back to being filled after the surgery. I"m hoping that is true because I have been at a stand still for almost a year. It's frustrating. I hope your doctor figures it out soon - just don't give up! :-)

Carol

Oh Carol, that sounds awful. You think I should go get an endoscopy? Do I need to be unfilled for that?

emjay, that is very possible and the only thing I can think of. I just don't know how to get rid of it now.

By the way, I'm filled to only a 1.8. I was filled to a 3.2 before I was pregnant. If my esophagus can calm down during the day I'm wide open and can eat a ton.

I know the blood tests I had were measuring my hcG levels after my pregnancy. Mine would not go down. I had to have 2 injections of methotrixate and monitoring of my liver function for awhile afterwards. It's just a thought.

It could be also what the other poster mentioned (Carmelia? - can't see it from here). I can't blame you for wanting to get to the bottom of it. Does it help to try and drink warm liquids at first to "open things up"? I wish I had an answer for you. :)

emjay

You know, it does help to drink warm liquids, but not enough. I do notice that the more I drink during the day, the better it feels. Maybe I'll just resort to drinking warm liquids instead of cold...

I'm thinking acid reflux also.

I get this once in a while and stick to bland foods and take over the counter meds.

If it does not go away, I would check with the doc where this is something different for you outside of being preggers.

Puddin-

I'd rather be safe then sorry...it wouldn't hurt at all to get an endoscopy done. It's an outpatient procedure and only took 2 hours from start to finish and that was waiting on the doctor because he was late. I only had to wait a few days for the biopsy but he was able to let me know my band was ok and if I had reflux. I think from all of my pbing, it aggravated my hernia again. It took me almost a year to get to this point and I think that's why my reflux was so bad and my weight loss stalled. I'd go for it if you are able.

Carol

You might think about getting a small unfill. Dont wait as long as I did. I was lucky and nothing slipped...but I am extremely loose right now waiting for everything to get back to normal so I can get an fill that wont go wonky on me.

Well... last night I felt so tight that I couldn't swallow my own spit. It was miserable and painful. I called my band nurse who I LOVE and she met me at 10:30 PM and completely unfilled me. I had total relief immediately. She said that was a good sign that I hadn't slipped. She said usually if you've had a slip the unfill will not provide complete relief like that.

So today I'm wide open. I may schedule that endoscopy today. Did you call your band doc to have it done or a gastroenterologist?

Yikes!! I JUST posted about this. I also have First Bit Syndrome, and I have a fill sched for next Friday. After the first bite I can eat and eat, but I ALWAYS get stuck on that first bite. I was wondering if I should get a fill or not. Your story is making me think twice. I need more restriction, but Im afraid that the FBS is going to get worse if I do get more fill. I dont want to end up choking on my own spit