Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doctor is a crackhead? Please confirm...

****shaking my head saying YO DOC... pass the pipe back to the nurse**** I do agree with the exercise part, but really..... like you said..... if you had the time that would be ideal, at least you're trying to fit it in to your busy schedule. As far as the calories, you need more than 800 a day. I also agree that you should seek a nutritionist, I go to one now and I'm not banded yet. She is teaching me healthier habits as I head down to bandland.

Take care and best of luck to you..

I think he's been visiting, "Crackpipes R Us" lately. There's no freaking way under 800 calories is safe for your body. What we all have to remember is that we did not gain this weight over night, nor are we going to lose the weight over night. From what I've noticed most with lap bands lose their entire weight over a spread of 3 or 4 years, which lets face it...it took us much longer to gain the weight. So, I'll take the slow but safe route, besides I'd rather not have to do the plastic surgery if I can help it...hundreds of stitches dont appeal to me. As for your doctor, he should be reminded this is not a race. I've seen those with RNY losing the weight so fast that they end up looking anemic, sickly looking.

I think you are doing fine. Dr. Aceves is strict but not that strict he has told us to stay away from alot of starches, carbs but that everything is in moderation and to be sure to get the Protein first, as well as hydrate. Excercise is a must but he realizes that if he places too strict of a diet it will make us feel like we are failures when we cannot keep to it, so rather than having unrealistic expectations he gives us simply guidelines and lots of Support!!! The key is to be consistent and make small goals for ourselves.

Tell your Doctor, Crack is Whack! :) Take care of yourself as I am sure you are doing anyways.

Kelli

I think he's been visiting, "Crackpipes R Us" lately. There's no freaking way under 800 calories is safe for your body. What we all have to remember is that we did not gain this weight over night, nor are we going to lose the weight over night. From what I've noticed most with lap bands lose their entire weight over a spread of 3 or 4 years, which lets face it...it took us much longer to gain the weight. So, I'll take the slow but safe route, besides I'd rather not have to do the plastic surgery if I can help it...hundreds of stitches dont appeal to me. As for your doctor, he should be reminded this is not a race. I've seen those with RNY losing the weight so fast that they end up looking anemic, sickly looking.

I think you are doing fine. Dr. Aceves is strict but not that strict he has told us to stay away from alot of starches, carbs but that everything is in moderation and to be sure to get the Protein first, as well as hydrate. Excercise is a must but he realizes that if he places too strict of a diet it will make us feel like we are failures when we cannot keep to it, so rather than having unrealistic expectations he gives us simply guidelines and lots of Support!!! The key is to be consistent and make small goals for ourselves.

Tell your Doctor, Crack is Whack! :) Take care of yourself as I am sure you are doing anyways.

Kelli

Crackhead?

Recently I have hired a personal trainer, nutritionist, and visit my p.c. physician regularly. What everyone except my surgeon tells me is that I need to eat no less than 1700 calories a day. They say that ammount will allow me to get all the nutrition and calories I need to live a healthy life. As for carbs, my nutritionist wants me to get 50-60% of my calories from carbohydrates.

As for me, I think my surgeon is a wonderful surgeon. He is not a nutritionist. In fact, the more weight I lose (regardless of how healthy I am) the better he looks, the better his statistics look, and the more he can sell his services. That said, I am recieving my nutriton advice from my nutrtionist, exercise guidance from my trainer, and general supervision from my primary care physician.

With regards to exercise, my physician recommended that I get a heart rate monitor and use that at the gym in order to monitor, control, and guide intensity. My trainer and nutritionist want me in the gym four times a week.

Keep in mind that all this guidance was for me: 26-year-old male no medical complications issues. Even with regards to weight, I am doing well enough now that my nutritionist commented that I don't look fat. My point (besides expressing happiness) is that I am in pretty decent shape and so my caloric goals, gym schedule etc. are appropriate for me, yours may be substantially different.

Okay - Not to go against the flow here - but - remember these docs are used to talking to patients who if given an inch will take a mile. That is not really the majority of us, but I will admit I am one of those. If you tell it is okay to do it once - I may do it once a day! I am Bariatric Coordinator with advance education in surgery, bariatric nutrition, and counseling bariatric patients. I am also newly banded. The reason it is okay for us to consume so few calories is that we have an incredible amount of stored body fat to burn for our fuel. That is one of the reasons that Protein is so important - to keep our bodies burning that body fat and also because we get so few calories.

With all that said I think you are doing absolutely wonderful and definitely above average! I say keep up the good work!! I think you will see that most people don't loose near as much as you have especially before a fill!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

My doc recommends 1100-1200 cals a day... so, I don't know what else to say, other than I am losing, and am not quite starving... I'm only about a month out, started eating regular foods two weeks ago, and as long as I eat slow, chew more than I would have before, and physically and mentally watch my intake, I'm fine... After my first fill, we'll see how I feel then, but for now, this is working... and honestly, I don't "count" the cals, I just do what my nutritionist taught me, which is to "eyeball" the size/amount of the food. Including the liquids phase, I've lost 15 lbs so far...

Wishing you the best of success. Sorry your doc isn't more sympathetic...

Smokin' Crack baby!! Pass the pipe somewhere else!

I agree with Carrie 100% on this.......and you are doing GREAT!!

I have childrena nd cannot do the 5x a week excercise thing either.

I eat what I want and stay away from bread, Pasta potatoes etc...

but, if I NEED to have bread....I have it! I cannot torture myself by

trying to eat 700 calories a day. I don't even have time to count to 700!! (lol)

I may not be losing as fast as I would like, but I am SO happy with my progress.

Sorry to say, but I wouldn't listen to anything that crack smokin' Dr. has to say,

because like you said, if you could do what he wants, you wouldn't have gotten the band in the first place! Good Luck and keep us posted on his "Einstein "ideas!~!

Mrs. P

I'm back :-)

I spent a wonderful holiday in Lake Tahoe with my husband and son. It snowed all day on Friday and it was beautiful!!

After reading these posts and speaking with my Primary Care Provider, I have decided that 800 calories a day is way too restrictive. Problem is, it took awhile for my restriction to kick in (had my first fill 10/31), but now it has kicked in HARD (I have only 1CC in my band). So while it is a struggle to maintain a 1000-1200 calorie intake, I am doing so with lots of Protein and I have lost 5 more pounds.

I'm happy with my weight loss so far. 26 pounds in 2 months works for me, and I am not going to push it!

Okay, with this new fill I'm getting in around 700 or so calories. When I go weigh myself (probably tonight) I'll see if I've lost any weight. I figure I'll try this for a month, unless I have a leak, in which case, I'll do it while I can.

Not to cause waves but here is my thinking...

My Dr. told me to consume at least 800 a day. Actually stay between 800-900 a day. Also he said to walk at least 30 minutes a day. No sugar and junk food. He told me that if I want to lose 100% of my excess weight that this is what I should do. He also said that if you don't do the above you will lose 50% of excess weight which I am sure you all know.

In my opinion, my band is there for when I slip up and can't do the above... It is PHYSICALLY impossible for me to sit down and eat a bag of Cookies now... I think that is why I decided to do this, knowing that I have to eat right for the rest of my life, but also knowing that if I slip there is now a catch...

I have seen a lot of people post here that if they wanted to diet they could have done that without the band, but obviously we couldn't that is why we are fat. I think it is a great tool, but we do have to do everything we can if we expect to lose ALL of our extra weight.

Just my opinion...

I do not know if it will help you but this is what my surgeon said.

1) 800-1200 cal. daily

2) exersice 3-4 days a week 30 min each

3) limit carb intake (not exclude it)

4) 65 grams of Protein daily or more

5) less than 5 grams of sugar in what you eat

6) three meals a day and no Snacks

7) Water, Water, WATer, WATEr, WATER!!!!

Also in my opinion, most of these doctors are skinny minnies and do not understand how hard it is to loose 20 pounds let alone 120 pounds. I think he is unrealistic. If you found something that works for you then by all means do it. What is he gonna do,

take his band back:>

Definately crack. 800 is unrealistic & too low on a long-term basis. I'm trying to get down fast cause I have a surgery scheduled & my weight should be as low as possible. I asked the nutritionist about doing slimfast when I was unfilled, and she said o.k. as long as I get 900-1000 calories a day. She's pretty slim herself & I really trust her.