Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doctor is a crackhead? Please confirm...

So, I just posted on the Fill forum that my first fill went very well. I had a real interesting conversation with the doctor, however, and want everyone's take on it.

I know all of our doctors put us on varying food plans following our surgeries, and I realize that these food plans are meant to be permanent. While lamenting to the doctor that I am 4 pounds heavier than I thought, he asked me a series of questions, including:

Am I certain I am consuming no more than 7-800 calories a day(I don't count my calories, just estimate)?

Am I completely abstaining from bread, Pasta, rice, and potatoes at all times (all but potatoes, yes, and I eat them last)

Am I only eating 1/2 cup of food 3 times a day (pre-fill and he was serious-my answer was no)

Am I exercising 1 hour+ 5 times a week (with a 70 hour work week and a 1 year old, I get more like 30 minutes 3 times a week)

SOOOOOO....... I got a lecture. I am to adhere to all of the above rules FOREVER if I want my weight loss to be successful. Don't get me wrong, I want this and I consider myself to be a very disciplined person. But frankly, if I adhered to these rules to the letter I would not have needed the band in the first place. ANYONE who eliminates starch and carbs, exercises 5 times a week, and eats 1 1/2 cups of food per day is going to lose weight, right?

One of the things I love about this board is how much I have learned from all of you, and how different your doctors are. I know that none (almost none) of you are doctors, but I am counting on you to advise me. I feel like these rules are a little unrealistic for me, but I want to have success in my weight loss.

Thoughts?

I've found over here in Australia too a remarkable number of surgeons display no understanding whatsoever of what it is like to be fat. Its a bit like male obstetricians - you can learn everything there is to know but if you're not female you cannot know what it is like to be pregnant and give birth. From what people have said it is obvious that many surgeons are doing the surgery for reasons known only to themselves and having never been fat, they do not understand on a psychological level what leads to obesity, what it feels like to suffer it and why it is so hard not to eat what you know is doing you harm. Because they dont have those issues.

Consequently they can seem remarkably blunt and very unsympathetic. Which often they are.

If you stick to those rules 90% of the time you'll get there.

But you do need to be totally honest with yourself, be sure you're not overestimating what you eat etc.

I think if you've read all the honest posts on this board, you know that it is a very rare person who follows those rules even 90% of the time. There are soooo many variables...like how many fills, and how much is in the fill, and then just personal habits, etc. It is all too easy to slip into the old habits from time to time, and when i have done that, I straighten myself back up again, and start following the rules more closely. Keep it steady, and you will lose the weight! Cindy

well Heather, if it makes you feel better, you have lost as much as I have in your month and a half of being banded as I have in 8 months. Holy crap! You've lost an average of 3.5 pounds a week since you've been banded and this isn't good enough for him???? HE IS SMOKING CRACK!

7-800 calories a day? He must be smoking crack! 1/2 cup is usually the lower limit, not the upper limit. It sounds like he is super agressive with his diet plan.

I have been contemplating going down to 800 calories because I haven't been losing. I have had two weeks in a row where I've lost weight, finally, after my 3rd and 4th fills. I haven't weighed myself since Thursday, so I don't know if I will get another fill. I still don't feel like I have much in the way of restrcition, but I'm not hungry after the 4th fill.

I went to see the school's nutritionist last week, and she was freaked out that I have gone to sub-1000 calories a day on most days. She was absolutely horrified that I was consdering going to 800 calories. Absolutely horrified. There is no way that we can get all the required nutrients that our bodies REQUIRE on 800 calories and below. Sure we lose weight, but at what cost? Damage to our bones, our muscles, our neurological systems and/or our lymph systems?

One of the things that our brains require to operate are carbs. It is the prefered food, and we need fat to metabolize a big whack of vitamines.

I'm the Spokes-Model for the Turtle Tribe. I'm a slow loser, but I feel great, better than I have in years. I would love to lose at the rate you are going, but I don't think I'll ever lose that fast.

You are doing amazing, you Rabbit you! and again, he's smoking crack! There are so many different ways to define success, and not all of them involve the scale.

Thanks, guys!! I agree that 7-800 calories is not enough, and I would be starving at 1 1/2 cups of food a day.

My husband pointed out to me that my surgeons are involved in a lot of published studies regarding the effectiveness of WLS, and maybe they are super strict because they want their statistics to look good. Lord knows I was impressed with their stats when I started my research. At any rate, I will try to stay on track and look to you all when I fall off the "band" wagon!

That being said, more opinions, please!!!

Sometimes doctors are stupid... My doc on one of my first pre op visits told me that my goal wieght should be 120 to 125 and on my 5'6 1/2 foot frame i would be a twig.... Dont go crazy with the fatty foods but control yourself a bit and enjoy your wieght loss!

Kim

um, yeah. hittin' the crack pipe. There is NO way 7-800 calories is safe or healthy. Of course, if everyone would eat no carbs and exercise 5x a week and eat a pittance of calories they would lose weight. But we are not everyone. That's why we got banded in the first place. I'm lucky my surgeon is a bandster and he knows what it's like. I have not been able to follow those rules very closely, but as long as I continue to slim down, I feel alright. It's slow going, but it seems like your doctor is a diet-nazi. I think he should emphasize taking small steps to lead to a goal of, say, working out 5x a week. You can't just all of a sudden go nuts and follow all those rules 100%. There's a higher chance of failure that way, which I've heard over and over throughout the years. If you're going to make a real change in lifestyle, it needs to be gradual enough that you can stick with it. I agree with Vines, you are doing awesome, much better than us Turtles. Be happy with your NSVs and tell your doctor he needs help. Rehab?

When in doubt - See a NUTRITIONIST. They are way more qualified to advise on proper eating habits than your doc. I seriously doubt that a nutritionist would advise you to drop below a thousand calories a day... But, hey, be sure to tell us if I am wrong.

:]

Karen (Giveyouthemoon), where are you?? We have the same doctors.

I am not willing to drop below 1000-1200 calories a day. I think it's dangerous.

Thanks for the encouragement, Vines, but I am slowing down A LOT. Hopefully the fill will help get me back on track! Otherwise I will be asking for admission to the tribe :-)

Starving your body comes to mind is what he is really saying. That is way to extreme, I have never counted my calories and my doc has never asked how much I take in daily. He sure is smoking something that is for sure.

I agree with what everyone said. He probably has the same rules for RNY that he does for the band and that just doesn't make much sense. And the exersize thing; Sure and hour a day 5 days a week would be great, but most people just can't do that. 30 minutes 3 days a week sure beats nothin' right??

I think you are doing great!

I think he's a crackhead too, fwiw. :smoke

If you get in 1200 cal per day with a good balance of Protein carbs and fat,

plus 30 min of moderate exercise 3x week

You'd be doing great (you ARE doing great)! That's my opinion. You are already losing faster than average.

WTG! And don't let the clueless doc get ya down.