Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When will I feel decent again?

I had banding done on 1/21 and have really struggled....extreme nausea, tons of pain particular in left shoulder, no appetite, etc. I might feel incrementally better today but seems like I take one step forward and two steps back. I've got to go back to work next Monday. Can you guys give me some input as to how long it took for you to feel decent again?

As we all know, everyone is different. Some have a higher tolerance for pain, and some are just lucky enough to recover quickly. Me, I'm a big baby and I was driving and raring to go about 5 days post-op. While I'm not sure how your body has responded to the trauma it has been through with the surgery, I would think you should start to feel better by the weekend. It gets better--it's just a real adjustment at first, as your body has just gone through so much.

Good luck! Hope you feel better soon!

This is all part of recovery. Dont be hard on your self,Drink Water, walk a little,try to relax, you just had a operation you will feel better it took me 6 days to feel myself. I was banded on Jan ,12. I still dont feel like eating some times but i am doing great. God Bless:thumbup:

the left shoudler pain is normal. Try and walk as much as you can to get that trapped gas moving out of your shoulder. It took off 1 week and 3 days becuase of the shoulder pain i had no stomach pain at all. I was banded last year on the 21st of January. COngrats and you will be fine. Be bless

i was banded 11/12/09 and I really had a time of it in the beginning. I have an extreme tolerance for pain but adjusting to post surgery was very difficult for me. I went the first week not being able to drink almost anything and went back to work on 11/18/09.

I had severe pain in my shoulder, i felt weak, i was dehydrated...just very very "yuck". It starts to play on your psyche and I was beginning to think I had made a huge mistake. But it begins to get better. By day 9....I felt almost liek me again.

I was feeling guilty because I needed to rest all the time that first week. But i listened to my body and i rested when i needed......Hang in there! I swear it gets better!:thumbup:

The 10 day mark was a biggie for me. From that point on, things have just gotten better and better.

If you have pain meds, TAKE THEM. They will help with your mobility, and moving around is the best for getting rid of that shoulder/back stuff.

I hope you feel better fast! (I know you will.)

I had banding done on 1/21 and have really struggled....extreme nausea, tons of pain particular in left shoulder, no appetite, etc. I might feel incrementally better today but seems like I take one step forward and two steps back. I've got to go back to work next Monday. Can you guys give me some input as to how long it took for you to feel decent again?

Lamar44 -

I had my surgery the day b4 you and I was fortunate to recover quickly and went back to work this Monday. I really began feeling really good by the weekend and just need to let your body rest as much as possible to decrease the swelling inside, which should bring back some of your appetite...I will say that you will feel better everyday and just keep walking,taking your meds like prescribed and drinking your Water and fluids to keep you hydrated. Dehydration may be causing you to feel nauseated. I am curious if you had any additional procedure done like a hernia repair during your operation?? Good luck and keep us informed.:smile2:

You sound just like me...I was banded 12/7. The smell of meat or some food actually made me sick for 3 to 4 weeks. My should was in agony. I used to do laps aorund my island in my kitchen to get relief because I belive they are gas pains. I was out of work for 3 weeks, probably could of gone back after 2 weeks. But I am glad I did not beause I was actually on pain meds for almost 2 weeks so I was not really clear.

The brighter side of this is I am just under 2 months out. I feel incredible from the excercise and weight loss. When I was feeling like you I thought it would never end and it did.

Just be patient. Definitely get your rest when you go back to work, try and go to bed early. Get enough sleep, you did just have surgery.

Dont get frustrated, when I felt like you did I posted a message and some kind person told me what I am telling you and it totally kept me going. GOOD LUCK!!!

Took me 3 weeks to feel normal again. I felt like I was exhausted and dizzy. Just make sure if you can to drink lots of Water and take your Vitamins.< /p>

i think its normal... and everyone does heal differently, i am 13 days post op and i feel great!!! everyone is different, just relax, take your pain meds and follow everything ur doctor tells u to do...

good luck!!!

Hi lamar44,

I was banded the same day you were!!

I am so sorry that you are not feeling too good. It will get better!!

Walk as much as you can to help that trapped "air" gas. My pain was/is in my left shoulder too and in my chest. It's awful, however walking is the only thing that seemed to help me!! GasX did nothing to help it, so try to walk as much as possible. I think walking helps you recover much quicker. JMO, though, everyone is different.

Be sure to drink/sip Water and stay hydrated. Very important.

Rest as much as possible and listen to your body.

I just went back to work today and I made it through, but I sure am tired.

Hang in there!!

Big Hugs to you!!

God Bless!!

It took me about 3 weeks to feel decent again. It felt like a long two weeks but what got me through it is knowing that in the long run I was going to be fine. You have to tough it out and believe in the fact that you can only get better from here. You took the first step...the hardest step already be happy and grateful that you were presented with the opportunity to positively change your life, not just for yourself but for those around you in your life. Everyone here means something to the people in their lives and its everyones responsibility to realize that and be there for them because they are there for us. You did the right thing, you will get better, a little pain and a little discomfort thats all you need to tell yourself and you will be fine. :smile2:

I was banded Jan 7, 2010. I felt pretty great until about Day 4, which is coincidentally when my pain meds ran out! At that point, I really didn't feel too bad, but it hurt to bend over, my incisions were tender, and then the left shoulder pain started about 5 days out, which I found really strange.

It got better and better. The worst during Day 6 through about Day 10-12 was the fatigue. If you can, give your body a break--after all, you DID just have surgery!

I'm three weeks out now and feel totally normal, except I'm still having intermittent shoulder pain, but nothing I can't handle. I'm on no pain medications and haven't been since Day 4, except for a couple of days of Advil because of the shoulder pain.

What I'm getting from all of these posts is that everyone is different--some recover more quickly than others and we all have different symptoms that bother us more. You are still way within the boundaries of "normal", so I wouldn't worry, unless you don't keep improving.

Oh, my goodness. I'm overwhelmed by all the kind words and encouragement! Today has definitely been a little better. I can say I've been out of bed more than in it, so that's at least a step in the right direction. The shoulder pain has been so bad and so unexpected and whoever said that dehydration might be causing the nausea....I think you were exactly right. It's just frustrating to have to take such baby steps when I thought I would feel like diving in headfirst! I'm so glad I did this in the winter, so I have a good headstart for all the fun stuff in spring and summer. The added bonus....not to sound overly drippy or anything but, I feel like I have a whole new group of wonderful friends. You guys are AWESOME for taking a few minutes to make a perfect stranger feel so much better!

15 days and you will not even know you had anything done. Well really I have had the lap band done twice now and a hernia repair 3 major things in 12 months and 6 days so I have been beat up a lot this year the worst is the GAS pain. the last was Jan 6 2010 for a band slip that shocked me totally. I have recovered well from all this. feel geat and am doing all things I have done before. Although I refuse to shovel snow. I guess I am taking the easy way out on that one as I am not going to pay 25,000 for a snow shoveling accident. Really.But I do feel good