Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Its muscle not fat right?

I am little over 2 years post op. I started at 336 and made it down to 222. I had a slight complication where I got stuck so bad, it took days to be able to eat again. I went to the Doc and he took out 2.5cc's and warned me that I would gain weight.

Of course at this time I was convinced of my ability to keep the weight off without the band helping out and insisted to the doc that would not happen to me. (what a dumb-ass)

Yeah right.

So here I am three months later having gained 20 pounds back. Now whats interesting is I am exercising more now than ever. I spend 1.5 hours at the gym three nights a week, and at least 30 minutes at home on non gym nights. I am also eating fairly poorly (nothing like pre-band)

I have two things I am struggling with.

1. I told the doc I would not gain any weight, so now I have a pride issue and do not want to go back in for a fill until I loose the 20 I gained.

2. My weight lifting has really gone crazy lately. I have increased my reps and weight by 20% + in the last month (its getting to the point where I am lifting the stack on most machines). I am also continuing my cardio approximately 50 minutes per gym trip on the elliptical running my ass off.

So I am depressed as hell about the weight gain, but how much of it is muscle vs fat. If I knew that I have gained 10 pounds of muscle and 10 of fat then I would feel a lot better than if I gained 5 and 15.

Any of you guys (or girls that are spying) have a similar situation?

I am one of those girls spying hehe! hope you dont mind me answering heheh

I am big into lifting Hints the username, I think if you have been lifting for those 3+ plus months and your Protein intake is been up its very possible you gains 10+ lbs of muscle, 20 lbs would be scretching it in my opnion.

20% gain is awesome.. Good job.. I love lifting for that fact, you always gain and you get to feel like you are improving :confused:

Hi! How are your clothes fitting? Better or Tighter? I can tell fairly quickly if I am up a few lbs. I am sure you have gained muscel how much is hard to tell. Did the Gym due a body fat % prior to your weight gain? that would give you some Idea. I am 9 months post op. Started at 300 now at 250. I have been working out 4 to 6 times a week with a trainer and meeting with a nutrionist once a week. She actually increased my calories etc. But my weight has been steady, ie up down within 4 /lbs for months now. We have been dicussing it and we agreed that I would cut my carbs down a bit. (35 - 40%) Also have been looking on this site alot and have gotten back to the POST OP way to eat, Protien first, etc. Also avoiding slider foods. Another thing i read is about a "Start Over Diet" Ie liquids for a day or so than introduce protiens and go from their. Their is information on line. You should not feel bad about going back to the Dr. they are thier to help you succed. So if you need a fill get one. I have been thinking of that too but realise that I have enough restriction. Hope this did not confuse you more, but working out is great! So even though your wt is up you are healther and have accomplishe a major weight loss. So be proud and keep up the fight.

Well I wish I could say that my clothes were fitting better, but in truthfulness they are not. I have had to move back to my XL shirts instead on my L, any my formerly loose fitting jeans now have that familiar tightness to them.

So I must face the music that I have gained weight and size back. I was hopping a lot of the weight was Water since I do have a fairly high creating intake, but after taking a Water pill I only lost 2 pounds.. So much for that theory.

I just got back from vacation, and I will make an appointment for a fill this week. I have got to get back on track, I simply cannot live with this failure. Back before I broke my wrist in August I felt on top of the world. Now I just feel fat again.

All you need to do is look in the mirror and be honest. You'll know if the weight gain is mostly muscle or fat.

As far as what you told your doc, what you REALLY meant was that you would not gain back any fat. The number on the scale isn't very important. He can look at you or check your body fat % (not BMI) and know what happened.

As far as your 20 lbs+ go, based on your lifting advances I would guess maybe at most 10lbs of muscle, plus some Water weight if you're better hydrated now and maybe a bit of fat.

It’s snowing heavily outside so I’m spending some time on lap band talk, yep even the men’s room :ohmy: and came across your post

I was in a similar position I dropped 130 lbs in 13 months and was my surgeon’s star lap band patient

Basically I allowed myself to become too restricted, which played havoc with my stomach and overall health. I need a complete unfill . I wasn’t able to get another fill for about 8 weeks and it took me months to build up to a sweet spot again. I regained 40 lbs. Keep working out, make better food choices but get back to your doctor asap. Without the proper restriction it’s too easy to fall into old habits.

I had been lauded as one of my surgeon’s first patients w/ a large amount of weight to lose who was having success w/ the lap band ( that office is very pro- bypass) so it definitely hurt my pride to show a gain. It was helpful to just be honest. “Dr., I’ve increased my activity level ( jogging and aerobics) trying to combat the gain but I am still able to eat too much and have been making poor food choices.” With the right fill and upping my activity level even more and falling back into good bandster habits I was able to take off the 40 lbs in about 6 months.

I was actually in a smaller size at the same weight this time down b/c I was working out so much more instead of primarily counting on restriction and a little walking to help me lose.

Take action !! :thumbup:

Well I have an appointment today at 2:00, so hopefully I leave with at least some of the fill they took out back. My port has turned sideways, so it makes it difficult to get the needle in, but hopefully they will "Ger R Done"

So I have 20 pounds to loose to get back to where I was before I broke my wrist. I am hopping to loose that wight before summer. 4 Months to loose 20 pounds should be obtainable.