Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody else love psych appt.?

I'm about 4 weeks pre-op, just had my psych appointment and absolutely loved it! Really clicked with her and plan to continue after being banded. I just totally got how the band is the physical limitation for me, but completely underestimated the role of the emotional component of eating and DEALING with why I want to eat so much and bad choices, etc. No kidding, I thought I just wanted to get the appointment out of the way, get it over with, but all the way driving home I was overtaken by Wow! That was life changing. And that it's a tool for me just like the band will be. I felt so peaceful like I know I can do this! I didn't realize how I was just on automatic pilot through life just keeping my head above Water like everyone else and not DEALING with events happening - losing my dad, my two beloved sons leaving for college and then going through a divorce. Like so many others, I put myself last, but no more! This is so important. Not only do I want to be thinner and healthier, but I want to be HAPPY and get back to the business of LIVING! Did anyone else feel this way? What have you done or what changes have you made? I would really love some insight as to the struggles and/or achievements of others as I start my journey. Kim

Wow! What an "aha" moment! You are very fortunate to have found such a great therapist! I feel like you do but do not have a good psych to follow up with it. My psych is very sweet and was quick to write my letter of approval but not much on the talking end of things. In fact, she may need a hearing aide soon because I would have to repeat (louder) things that were hard to say in the first place and to which she offered little if any feedback.

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

My psych appointment went ok but the guy who did it was really weird. Just kind of freaky looking and acting. Thank God it did not take very long.

-Jolynn

I was told I probably wont have to have one. The dr said no unless my insurance required it. I am not sure why other than he knows me-- I work with the dr at the hospital I work with. I am glad in a way I dont have to have one b/c it is $495. and insurance doesnt cover it. My dh is a therapist for addictions and food can be addiction but they wont let him or any of his co workers sign off on me! I will cross my fingers that I do not have to have one.

Mine was 275 and coded it such that I probably will be reimbursed some, if not all, by insurance. Check around, maybe there are some who offer different rates. How lucky you are to have a DH who can help!

I really like my psychologist, too. I'm covered for 20 visits, so I'm continuing to see her at least for a while. She says it's up to me. So far I've been finding it quite valuable.

Orea

I LOVED my psych. appointment because the psychologist was absolutely the hottest man (okay, besides my husband!) on earth. I am serious... he was really, really tall and handsome. I like to call him Dr. McDreamy.

I enjoyed mine too. I like meeting new people and talking to them. :)

I felt it was a huge waste of $250 and felt it was totally unnecessary for me. I learned more from Oprah and Dr. Oz and from Bob Green's book and didn't hear anything from the psychologist that I didn't already know.

I think that it is ridiculous that a one-hour appointment with a stranger can have an affect on what you've decided to do with your body. Some people don't eat emotionally and are just fat because of yo-yo dieting and hunger and portion size and a sedentary lifestyle: too many calories in vs. out. I felt annoyed that I had to explain why I'm fat to yet another person.

I was a cash pay customer for the surgery so it wasn't like my insurance required it, but my surgeon did. I feel like you have to jump through a lot of hoops as it is, and this was just one more expensive one.

Mine didn't cost anything - it was included in the total surgery fee. I understand why they require them - it is to make sure you are mentally stable. I don't think many people get turned down for surgery because of it, but I think it weeds out anyone who is dealing with some major stuff that is going to not go away after surgery. It's a preventative thing. The psych. that works for my surgeon told me he has actually had people in his office who admitted they were hearing voices in their heads! Needless to say they needed to get rid of those before surgery!!! Another red flag is depression and they kind of screen you for that.

There's a good reason for the psych screening. I heard a true story from a health care professional about a patient who ate pizza a day after being banded! The result was emergency surgery to remove the band. And no, they wouldn't reinstall one later.

Some people can't or won't follow directions. This is an extreme example, but the results can be serious.

As irritating as it is to have to jump through all of these hoops, I've come to appreciate how much better prepared I am now as a result of the waiting period. I have a thorough idea of what I need to do and I am practicing many of the skills now. I'm really ready for the next step. (Paperwork will be submitted soon!)

Since I'm BC/BS FEP basic plan, I had to get preauthorization for the Psych Eval. The psychologist they recommended just happens to specialize in sex therapy. I guess if I don't feel frisky after I lose the weight, I can go back and see her again.

My surgeon's office requires that you have an appointment with one of 3-4 people they work with regularly. I asked at the office and they said I would probably like "Dr Bob."

I've been in therapy for years (first dealing with a bad marriage and then kept going because it's been so helpful). So, my experience with a therapist has been extensive and I thought I knew what to expect.

This Dr. Bob....it was shocking. After paying in advance (as if I couldn't be trusted to pay on the way out the door?), I walked in, he had a yellow legal pad and sat there writing for about 10 minutes. I thought he was, perhaps, writing notes about his previous client. It felt very awkward to be sitting there in his office in silence while he wrote on.

He asked me what I knew about the lapband. Explained it's a tool, blah, blah, blah. Then he asked me two questions:

* If I was in a crowded theatre and there was a fire, would I start screaming?

* What does the phrase, "People living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" mean?

Mind you, during this entire time, he was writing *extensively* on his yellow pad.

He said, "Well, I don't think you're crazy." We'll get this letter right off.

The appointment lasted about 40 minutes. And for his writing? He was writing the letter....word for word....while we were talking.

He was weird. It was weird.

What a ripoff! He should be reported for irresponsible practice. :party:

At least my person cared enough to really get to know me before she was ready to okay me.

My psych eval was ridiculous. I filled out my own evaluation form while he was doing a consultation on the phone. He took the assessment...my insurance card...and sent the OK to the surgeons office. He actually had the nerve to tell me that he billed me for 10 visits...but didn't want me to come back! My appointment was for 8:15am and I was back in my car in 30 minutes. I spoke no more than 20 words to him. He was ridiculous...the process was ridiculous...and I feel so badly for anyone that goes to him that was in crisis.

My insurance covered all 10 visits.