Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well I did my sleep study last night and I now know I have severe sleep apnea. I just cant believe it. The news hit me hard and it still is. Honestly when I went in I wasnt prepared for the outcome because I was certain I didnt have any breathing problems. I have been crying for most of the day and Im feeling really down. I think I will research this some more and maybe I wont be so scared. I have a cpap sleep study again on the 26th. Im not looking forward to it I hate how uncomfortable I am with all those wires on and that goo in my hair but my tech was awesome. Anyone else who has sleep apnea?I could really use some support from someone who has gone or going through this. Thanks everyone

I have it. I have been using my Cpap machine for 5 years or so now. I used to fall asleep all the time. even while driving a few times. I now sleep more soundly and can go alot less sleep than I did in the past. I feel so restful and better now. I won't lie it sucks wearing a mask while you sleep but I have used it every night since I got my machine. When you stop breathing your pulse rises and the health detriments are horrible.The good news once you lose weight it usually goes away. One of the reasons I want to lose. It will also help you be a better canidate for the surgery. You had done whats called a split sleep study. When you go back they will put a mask on you and see which PSI works best to open your airway. You see when we are overweight the fat closes our airway while we sleep the machine stops this. I hope this helps you.

Hey Ash23... I also have sleep apnea, diagnosed about six yrs. ago. Prior to diagnosis, I snored like a freight train and was so tired regardless of the number of hours I slept. I would almost go to sleep as soon as I got home from work; wake up for a while then go to bed. The really low energy and tiredness was awful. Within two weeks of using the cpap machine, I felt great. I sleep in it close to 100% of time (except when my nose is congested, then I use spray to clear up before bedtime). The CPAP takes some getting used to, but sleep apnea is a serious problem as it affects all your major organs and left untreated is not a good for your overall health. Losing weight will certainly help and might even eliminate your apnea. My doctor and I are hoping this is my case, or if weight loss doesn't do it totally, he says that just an appliance type thing that goes in my mouth at night is a possibility. Getting banded and getting this weight off is being done primarily to reverse my sleep apnea. Please hang in there, cheer up,and just go with right now....as you weight goes down, you may reverse the apnea too.....let us hear how you're doing. Sorry to be so long with this. You'll be okay. :biggrin:

I have it too, and have used a bipap (help breathing in and out) for 2.5 years now. I love the way I feel when I get up and am not bothered by the mask (I am a side sleeper and have one to accomodate that). I did hate the sleep study but my oxygen was going as low as 73% at night and at 70% the brain can be damaged! And its so hard on our hearts....heart disease is the #1 killer of women......overall you will feel like a million bucks! Hang in there!

When attempting to qualify for lap-band surgery, since I was a lower BMI patient, the only thing that would get insurance to pay was if I had sleep apnea that required a Cpap machine. When I told my daughter, she was like, well, I could have told you you have sleep apnea by your snoring...oh, geeze thanks...I knew for some time I was sleep deprived. I would pull over at rest stops to nap. Since losing 70 lbs I no longer have to use the machine, which I'm not going to lie to you...I hated it, but it made a world of difference in the amount of sleep. It's better to have it diagnosed than not. I had to do the two-sleep study routine also. Second time with the cpap machine..

good luck and don't beat yourself up over it. I don't know where you are on your weight loss but it will get better hopefully as you lose weight. I lost 3 inches in my neck within the first four months after surgery. Not sure what it is now since I don't have to follow up on it anymore

Trisha

Thank you all sooooo much yall honestly put me more at ease. I was a little scared to fall asleep tonight but now I feel much better. I am suppose to be banded on Feb 10th but that may get pushed back because of my anemia. How does having sleep apnea effect the LAP-BAND® surgery? I haven't spoke to a doctor yet It just all seems so confusing all of my appointments are set up by True Results ( the company im getting my Lap-Band through) and the Apnea testing is done by a third party doc in Dallas but they have a tech there in Austin. A lady from that docs office called me today to tell me I had severe sleep apnea and that I stopped breathing about 47 times in a hour and that someone will be getting in contact with me after my 2nd study to get me set up with a cpap. It was a lot to take in honestly, I was still in shock and didn't think to ask a lot of questions but I plan on asking a lot more questions when I see them next week. Again thank you all for sharing your stories and words of encouragement. I will do my best to keep yall informed.

Every facility is different on the cpap machine. With my hospital I had to stay overnight, but they never told me this until I showed up for surgery, of course, without cpap machine because I was told I wouldn't need to bring it. But I live almost two hours from the hospital and truly didn't mind staying overnight. I was able to get some anti-nausea medication right away. But your facility will let you know how they handle cpap patients. If not, be sure and ask if you're still having surgery as an outpatient or if you will stay overnight. I think because it was all kind of sprung on the surgeon by the anesthesiologist at the last minute, they were all kind of thrown for a loop. Plus nurses on the floor were also thrown off because they didn't have band patients stay overnight. And it's not like they gave me oxygen or anything overnight...so go figure. 48 times an hour is quite a bit. I was only at about 19. So you are super sleep deprived. As much as you won't like sleeping with the mask, you'll be amazed at how much better, once you get used to it, you'll feel. There are all different kind of masks. Some are better if you're a side sleeper and others for back sleepers.

Good luck!! And as you lose weight, hopefully that blasted machine will go away for you :biggrin::)

Trisha

I also had to have a sleep study before I could have surgery. My surgeon requires it because he says that 85-90% of obese people have sleep apnea and when you have ansthesia and pain medication combined it can increase the risk post surgery of respiratory problems.

I also had to do 2 sleep studies. I had 33 apnea episodes in the first study so I had to go back for the c-pap study. The first one really stunk...the 2nd one wasn't quite as bad because I knew what I was up against....lol!!!! Anyway, I've had the c-pap now for about a month and I'm still trying to get used to it...as much as I'd like to say it's not helping I have noticed I'm sleeping much better when I have it on and I'm not as tired as I used to be. I know it stinks to have to wear the mask and I must say it's not the most comfortable thing...but give it a chance. We may end up liking it and it will make surgery much safer :biggrin:

I also have sleep apnea and have been using a CPAP for about 3 years. I cried as soon as I found out too and most of that day. I did my study in one night. It was severe enough that they woke me up after 2 hours and had me put the mask on. I was waking up more than 60 times an hour. Scary! I don't like the mask either, but it is SO worth it! I feel so much better and am not near as sick as I had been. Before the CPAP, I always had a cold, a headache, etc. I haven't slept a night without it since I got it. If you get a mask that you don't like, don't be afraid to speak up and tell them you want another one. I went through several before I found one I liked. I had surgery last week and hope that when I lose some weight, I can quit using mine. Good luck!!! :biggrin:

Stopping to check up on how your sleep study went.. did they have to give you something to sleep?

Like i told you before, i have Sleep apnea, and I have a CPAP but I will be truthful and say i dont use it, its has been so hard getting used to it,But i had an appt today with my doctor and she gave me something to help relax me to be able to fall asleep with the mask on, so will tell ya how it goes with the meds tomorrow maybe...

Good luck hun, dont worry about this, if you get the lapband, it will help you get rid of this sleep apnea quickly :)

Stopping to check up on how your sleep study went.. did they have to give you something to sleep?

Like i told you before, i have Sleep apnea, and I have a CPAP but I will be truthful and say i dont use it, its has been so hard getting used to it,But i had an appt today with my doctor and she gave me something to help relax me to be able to fall asleep with the mask on, so will tell ya how it goes with the meds tomorrow maybe...

Good luck hun, dont worry about this, if you get the LAP-BAND®, it will help you get rid of this sleep apnea quickly :blush:

Well I have another sleep study with the cpap machine on Tuesday. I hope it all goes as good as it possibly can lol :)

Whats funny is I slept like a baby with my cpap at the sleep study and havent slept good with it since hehe!

I took the meds that the doctor gave me last night, but still couldnt fall asleep with my mask on, and today i feel like a zombie :cursing:

Ive had a cpap for about 21/2 years. I felt much more awake from day 1. I dont have any problem with mask(sleeping with it). About 2 months ago my mask broke so i slept on the couch because i snore very loud(so im told), i noticed a big difference(it broke on a Friday and i had to wait until Monday). When i had my EKG my bariatric dr. told me i needed to see a cardiologist! This scared the sh#? out of me. I have a bad family history with heart disease so i thought for sure they would find a problem. The cardiologist said the right side of my heart showed stress. This is the side that supplies the heart with oxygen. He said it wasnt a problem, to keep using cpap. Its really nothing to worry about,just be glad your getting treated for it. Alot of people have it but ignore the fact and it is serious if not treated. Oh by the way, im having lapband on March 3rd.

Liftingchic, what hospital,dr. are you using? Im from Pittsburgh,actually Greensburg now. Im going to Magee, Dr. Corcoulis. Im scheduled for March 3rd. They wanted me to do it early Feb. but i was scared so i put it off a while. Good luck

Ive had a cpap for about 21/2 years. I felt much more awake from day 1. I dont have any problem with mask(sleeping with it). About 2 months ago my mask broke so i slept on the couch because i snore very loud(so im told), i noticed a big difference(it broke on a Friday and i had to wait until Monday). When i had my EKG my bariatric dr. told me i needed to see a cardiologist! This scared the sh#? out of me. I have a bad family history with heart disease so i thought for sure they would find a problem. The cardiologist said the right side of my heart showed stress. This is the side that supplies the heart with oxygen. He said it wasnt a problem, to keep using cpap. Its really nothing to worry about,just be glad your getting treated for it. Alot of people have it but ignore the fact and it is serious if not treated. Oh by the way, im having LAP-BAND® on March 3rd.

Yep I am an EKG Tech and paramedic Who loves learning about the heart and cardiology stuff. You are very true I was talking to one of the cardiologist i work for and he told me about that, and thats one of the reason sleep apnea is so dangrous, not to mention you can stop breathing and go into cardiac arrest..

sleep apnea is nothing something to mess around with, i just wish there was other ways to treat it, cause I cant STAND that mask hehe! I have try 3 different kinds i hate them all

Edited by Liftingchic