Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Using additional weight loss methods in conjunction with the Band

Hi,

I was wondering...has anyone used additional methods of weight loss in addition to their band?, for example: alli, to cut fat intake, weight watchers for variety of food choice and support, etc.

I was thinking that alli could help with some high protein/high fat foods? I just wasn't sure if it could be harmful to use while banded...

Also, would 1 cup of caffinated coffee a week be bad? I miss it :thumbup:

Info and advice would be helpful, thx

f&s:smile2:

I have not yet done anything additional...however, I am beginning the 5 day pouch test tomorrow. I am going in for a fill in the morning and figured that would be the perfect time to give it a whirl. I managed to gain 5 lbs over the holidays:blink:. That was a real eye opener! You pose an interesting question...looking forward to the responses.

I haven't been banded but used Alli for a month with a low-fat diet and WOULD NOT recommend it. I went out for dinner with friends and ordered Grilled tuna with a dry salad thinking it would be a good choice. Boy, was I ever wrong... I suffered severe dumping syndrome and soiled myself before leaving the restaurant.

If you plan on eating NO FAT or wearing diapers then Alli would be fine.

Fire&spice: I drink coffe everyday, no problems

What's the five day pouch test?

Thanks for the replies so far...I heard about that problem with alli, but was thinking, "hey, maybe if I was careful & used it for a while, that maybe it could enhance my weight loss"... a jump start of body and mind, especially where it does "force" you to make no fat choices going forward.

As for the drinking coffee everyday without problems...I'm so

glad to hear that! I'd be happy with just the 1 mug a week, especially where my dietician scared me into thinking that if I drank coffee, my band would erode into my then ulcerated esophagus/stomach!

Anyone else drink coffee daily?

Hi - I use Alli sometimes - when I have something that's fattier than I should. And I also recommend WW - for myself - I needed more structuring and wasn't losing so I didn't know what was going on. I find it helpful.

Just a quick thing about Alli. I had my gallbladder taken out, and was told never to take Alli! That came straight from my surgeon who took out my gallbladder. And I know 2 people that tried it (who do not have their gallbladder) and it caused severe abdominal pain and caused the dumping syndrome for days.

The reason I was told to watch the coffee was because it can increase appetite in some people. Since it does not have that effect on me I drink a cup a day. My PA knows this and is ok with it but please chat with you doctor and figure out what works for you.

I drink coffee pretty much every morning. My surgeon and NUT are ok with coffee and tea.

As far as other weight loss stuff like alli, there is really no need for it. The band works well on it's own. Of course the food choices you make will slow or speed up weight loss. Eating healthier choices of food like you are on a diet works very good. Exercise speeds things up too.

I also drink coffee most days. I also need to "diet" to lose weight. When I eat normal, I just maintain. So leaner meat, veggies, carbs last. Calories in and calories expended is how it works....so however you achieve that should be the ticket.

Haven't tried alli and I'm thinking it wouldn't be a good idea.

Good luck.

Thanks all :biggrin:

I'm just starting to exercise today too, on my Treadclimber that has been a pretty useful clothes attendant for the last couple years. I'm going to try starting with the "true" 30 min/4x a week @ 2-3 mph, in addition to my lil walks here & there with the kids...i'm hoping that this'll be the trick for me to speed things up & keep me on the losing track.

I had a teeny mug'o coffee this AM...yum

Can anyone recommend a Thread/Social Group here that works like WW, where it's posters/members check in often & compare their experiences for weight loss support?...I tried the MA Support Thread & joined Banded Moms, but I like to chat & share/compare a bit more frequently, in order to stay on top of my game, etc.

f&s :blink:

Well, you do have to do more than just have a band inserted---so some way of eating (WW, low carb, whatever) is almost a given, IMO.

But I wouldn't recommend Alli. Side effects aside, your already working with limited stomach capacity. Ridding your body of 1/3 of the fat you take in may push you into territory of using too little fat--and that can have ugly consequences.