Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 months post op/ 3 fills and NO restriction

My surgery was 9/9/09 and I ahve had 3 fills (I think I am up to 5cc) and I have no restriction at all! i have lost weight but but it is very slow.

It is getting frustrated because I feel like I can as much as I want. I am trying to watch what I eat & how much but I need that feeling of fullness.

How many fills before I feel full? Has this happened to others? can you pretty much eat anything?

I was banded in April of 08 and it took many several months (probably 6 or more) to get good restriction. I have the Realize Band and was honestly worried as I neared "max capacity" and still had no restriction. My doctor assured me that I would get it - and I did. I had to get more than the max (can't remember if it's 9.4 or 9.6cc) before I was at my sweet spot. By the way, the Dr. called the manufacturer to make sure this was ok and they assured him there is some leeway there because the tube and port hold some, so the band itself really doesn't have more than the maximum amount in it.

Bottom line - it WILL come- keep the faith. I know how you feel as I was in the same situation, but keep the faith. The problem is in eating right until you get it. Because you CAN eat anything doesn't mean that you SHOULD. It really is about doing your absolute best to stick to a "diet" (bad word, I know) until you get restriction. The beauty of the band is this - you will eventually get that restriction, so if you can just stick it out, you will never have that rebound weight gain from going "off the diet". The band will help you immensely to do what you are now doing all alone.

But it's SO worth it - hang in there! And feel free to ask for the support you need- that's what this site is all about. Good luck!

Lisa

Hi there, I was banded the day before you 9-8-09. I have had 3 fills and this last one I was having to adjust,thought this was it, so I rescheduled my next fill for 2 more weeks and now I feel like I don't have the restriction and no weight loss. I have good weight loss right after a fill then it tapers off and I struggle to maintain that loss. My doctor said I should be getting to my spot soon according to my height. I have the lap band AP max fill 10cc. Now at 5.5cc.I heard it does take time and then you should be good. But I like you am struggling with hunger and trying to eat my Protein to stay full. So hopefully we see the light soon.... Good Luck:smile:

Thank you both for writing to me. It does make me feel better to hear that others are the same or that it does take long time to get to that sweet spot. Sometimes I feel like I never even had the surgery.

I think my band holds 14cc so I still have a ways.

Thanks again

Hey everyone! I had my surgery on November 17th 2009 and hit a bump in the road when my incision tore open and took an extra month to heal. I am now pretty much healed and I just got my first fill on Tuesday. I have been pretty much following the restrictions of 2 days liquid and now I am on my 1st day of mushies. I understand a little of what you are going through because I have spent everyday since my surgery (except maybe 4 days into healing) wihtout restriction. I had lost seventeen pounds and then gained three. Now I have lost 2 again and I am struggling to maintain healthy eating. I am working out, counting calories, and keeping Proteins high. I am just glad to be through my last holiday with no restrictions. Luckily my doctor has me come in on Monday or Tuesdays so that he can be a little more aggressive with my fills. I have a 14 or 16cc band I think and my first fill was 4cc, I have another appointment in 2 weeks so I will just keep plugging away, knowing that as someone else put it, though this weight is tough to lose it won't come back once there is restriction. Lets keep our chins up!

I can't even begin to tell you the relief I felt after reading your posts and realizing that I am not the only one going through this! I was banded (9cc Realize) on 9/22/09, have had 3 fills and have no restriction. I have recently given up on my diet and honestly....myself. I still work out regularly and am scheduled to meet with my dr. next week for my 4th fill. Weight loss has been slow to the point of stalled! It's so frustrating....I honestly believed I could do better than this! Very disappointed with myself and I don't know how to get my head back into the diet game. Anyway....good luck to all of us in hitting that elusive sweet spot in the very near future!!!

I am in the same boat and have just maintained the weight loss I had Preop and one week Postop. We are in Bandster Hell and I now know why they call it that. You have the band and no restriction and we tire of "dieting". Thanks to all who posted here. It really helps to hear other's journeys.

Hi there, I'm back after another fill. I am @ 6.00cc now and now feeling sweet... But the scale isnt moving. I always lose after an intial fill then I seem to stall. I am thinking of upping my workout but that could be the reason since I am lifting weights. SO just wanted to share be patient it will show up. I felt nothing till this last round and see the doc again this Monday and I think I am good so no more fills for now I guess. :lol:

Hi there, I'm back after another fill. I am @ 6.00cc now and now feeling sweet... But the scale isnt moving. I always lose after an intial fill then I seem to stall. I am thinking of upping my workout but that could be the reason since I am lifting weights. SO just wanted to share be patient it will show up. I felt nothing till this last round and see the doc again this Monday and I think I am good so no more fills for now I guess. :lol:

AHHHHH! Sweet restriction!!! Can't wait!!!

It took me about 6 months and 5 fills to feel restriction....Good luck!!

Ask for an agressive fill! I had one small fill (1.5 cc) 3 weeks after surgery (11/16/09). Then the holidays came - I was restricted somewhat on how much I could eat, but not the types of food. On January 12, 2010 I asked for an agressive fill - he gave me 3.5 cc's and I though it was ok.....then I threw up the Water - he removed the 1/2 cc and now I'm great. But........it took me 3 weeks to get used to the agressive fill!!!! That fill was actually the first time I realized what the band was all about. Very limited quantities and limited types of food. I struggle to keep up my calorie intake and my Protein - but I've been steady at loosing 2 lbs per week......down 6 pounds since the fill.

Once I quit loosing 2 lbs per week - I go back for another fill! Good luck and hang in there and remember - it still requires watching what you eat!!!!!

DawnP,

Thanks for posting. I was banded on the same day you were, and also don't have restriction. It's really frustrating. I have my thrid fill on Friday and am hoping that I get restriction that last beyond a week. I've only lost about 25 pounds or so. Depressing, although better than before 9/9/09!!

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Its aggrivating as ever ! I have a 10cc band and have 4 1/2 cc's and after I get a fill I am great for a few days then suddenly " Bruce the Shark" rears her ugly head ! I HATE this it annoys me..I got for my 4th fill June 30th and I hope and pray I too hit that Sweet Spot ! Congrats to all of us for taking this HUGE step and the massive weight loss !!!

I have a 10cc band and have 4 1/2 cc's and after I get a fill I am great for a few days then suddenly " Bruce the Shark" rears her ugly head ! I HATE this it annoys me..I got for my 4th fill June 30th and I hope and pray I too hit that Sweet Spot ! Congrats to all of us for taking this HUGE step and the massive weight loss !!!