Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband being phased out in favour of bypass

My surgeon was very unbiased as well...he said in the seminar (and i quote): "I dont' care what surgery you choose, as long as we do something to HELP you."

He spoke about how everyone in the room knows how to lose weight...we've all done many diets and have been successful at all of them. But we can't KEEP it off...he went on to talk about how obesity is a disease and how more people need to be educated on it and it's treatments (ie the multitude of surgical options there are now)....

When we met one on one, i knew i wanted the band. I watched my mom go through gastric bypass and i knew 5 years ago that i did NOT want that done...however since the band is adjustable, THAT was a good option for me. My problem isn't the types of food i was eating..it was how MUCH i was eating..and then band has been AMAZING for me!

The only time my surgeon will suggest bypass over the band is if you have serious co-morbidities that would benefit more from bypass...otherwise, he leaves it up to you.

Most research now is showing that people who are 3+ years out of gastric bypass are GAINING IT ALL BACK...because a lot of them (not all) look at it as a magic surgery and something they don't have to work at...they get complacient and gain. NO THANK YOU. I'm not going to have major surgery and work at something just to gain it all back? I chose the band because it's adjustable and can change with you...and because it's a TOOL, not a magic potion...

That being said, my mom is 5 years post op from Gastric Bypass on the 5th of january..and she looks AMAZING! She works out every day, wears a size 8 jeans (from wearing only stretch pants), and lives healthy :smile2:

When researching bariatric surgery options, I went to 3 different seminars at three different hospitals. The first was very unbiased, the second was VERY pro bi-pass, and the third, and the one I went with, was open to both, but leaned toward the band unless there was a medical reason (such as serious health problems) that would benefit more from the faster weight loss. My surgeon is one of the best in the field, and does repair for patients who have had botched surgeries. He is adament about recommending the band in most cases.

Like many of you, I know several people who have had bi-pass and lost weight, but gained most of it back. Not so many with the band. I am very happy with my choice.:smile2: