Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Return of Left Shoulder Pain after a fill?

Has anyone experienced a return of that post-surgery left shoulder pain after getting a fill? I had my 3rd fill on Wednesday, and that night I started having the pain again, for the first time since my surgery 16 months ago. It's not constant, like it was after surgery, but strikes and is very intense for a short period. I don't recall ever reading about this being a fill after-effect, but I thought I'd ask. :smile2:

Has anyone experienced a return of that post-surgery left shoulder pain after getting a fill? I had my 3rd fill on Wednesday, and that night I started having the pain again, for the first time since my surgery 16 months ago. It's not constant, like it was after surgery, but strikes and is very intense for a short period. I don't recall ever reading about this being a fill after-effect, but I thought I'd ask. :smile2:

I got the left shoulder pain right after surgery, which was 15 months ago. That resolved itself after a few weeks. However, I still get the shoulder pain from time to time but it is not related to fills. It just happens. I think it is band related and the band presses on the diaphram and that pain is referred to the left shoulder.

Thanks for your reply, Cleo'sMom. I figured it probably has something to do with that. My newly tightened band is, no doubt, now pressing against something it wasn't before, and certain body positions intensify the effect. I'll just consider the brief pains evidence of my band doing its work!

Could it possibly be from over-eating?

I recently had my band tightened for the third time (7cc in an 11cc band)... and I noticed that if I don't eat PERFECTLY.... I get sore in the same area.

Maybe it's just me.... but keep an eye on what you're eating. I'm finding that unless I portion everything out, it's hard to keep track... and very easy to eat too much!! :)

Good luck, hope you feel better soon!!!!!

The pains have diminished greatly since the first week, and I've pretty much decided that it does have something to do with the band pressing on the diaphragm. I've noticed that when I sit in certain positions in my recliner, I'll feel a bit of the shoulder pain. Odd, but not a big deal. Thanks for your responses!

I was banded 6/17/09 and still frequently get left shoulder pain. I was told that my band is stimulating the same nerve that radiates left arm pain when one is having a heart attack. It can be so painful at times! I haven't really found anything to relieve it when it flares but have found it likes to act up when I have eaten too much. So in short it is my full indicator! Hope this helps...if you find any info on relieving the pain....please share! My next fill is 1/08/10.

I was banded 6/17/09 and still frequently get left shoulder pain. I was told that my band is stimulating the same nerve that radiates left arm pain when one is having a heart attack. It can be so painful at times! I haven't really found anything to relieve it when it flares but have found it likes to act up when I have eaten too much. So in short it is my full indicator! Hope this helps...if you find any info on relieving the pain....please share! My next fill is 1/08/10.

That's almost exactly how mine felt. Scared the crap out of me the first time it happened.... I thought I was having a heart attack..... and I'm only 23!!!!! lol

I had the left shoulder pain for several months. It was also my full signal for a long time.

Even though it is a nerve trick and not truly a shoulder thing, I found that equate brand (walmart) pain Patches helped quite a bit. In the evening I would just put one on the tip of my shoulder and leave it on all night. They even work well if you cut one in half. They are only about $4 I think and can be found by the ben-gay and icy-hot type creams. I remember someone else saying they used the sports creams.

Yep...happens to me too. It also happens to me when I eat Soup (probably the food/liquid combo) or if i drink too soon before or after eating.

Yep When I was getting fills 2nd year everytime I got one my shoulder would hurt but for some reason it was my right shoulder...go figure. And the coordinator told me it was from the band pressing against a nerve. It would go away in about 5 days and a few lost pounds.

I have the shoulder pain also! I remember calling my mom 3 days ago crying cause I thought I was having a heart attack. lol. But the pain comes and go. I have actually chewed some gas pills and the pain goes away instantly.

I get this pain all the time! Not asso w/ gas or overeating (thats when my port hurts). I have to raise my arm up to relieve some pain, but nothing gets rid of it. It especially comes when I'm angry or during a long drive. NEVER had it before. Sometimes it hurts so bad I want to cry.:angry: