Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One day I can eat and the next I can't :(

Sounds like my day although I have a bucket and I can not get Water down. It has been a bad 10 days and I am one jittery queezy person. I for one just would be happy with water. I will work on food later. As for you My Friend Go to liquids you are inflammed as well as I am and this is not fun. I have been banded for just about one year. This is the worst ride I have been on. It will end soon I know it is the stress of knowing there is no help for me as I am out of reach of a bariactric clinic and God only knows where I can get some Fluid taken out of the band except for there, Go liquids.

I ended up in the ER and sob. they took all my sailine out. now I have no restriction. I had been in bandster hell for way to long. I had 2 bags of fluids put in by IV . Now I can at least get liquids down now. They had to take the Fluid out by using a xray machine as my regular Doc. was not available. I sure this will be the most expensive unfill I have ever seen.

Now I hope the band calms down. as I was swelled to the point of no fluids going down.

I did end up in the Er a few weeks ago. I could not keep anything down even Water. I was put on a iv for about 5 hours to rehydrate. My doctor took out almost all my fill. I have only 2ccs now and dont feel hungry at all. I am down 120 since June 26th 2009. I have had many ups and downs with not being able to eat anything at all.The last few weeks have been good. I drink liquid vitamans everyday. I wish you well. This is something very serious so dont ignore it, if you cant get anything down call your doctor.

I now can not even keep the slim down, this is after a unfill of .5 cc now we are in a blizzard on christmas and the Dr.are fifty miles away on roads that have been closed for 36 hours. I need more out of the band and no where to go. I have been in vomit mode for 12 hours or more.

Do you think Pepto would help calm down the band, never tried this but I will give anything a try. Scotty d

OMG I just saw this - how scary I'm so sorry... Why did it get worse? Did you not stay on liquids after the unfill? Then again when I got unfilled I didn't have to.... BUT I was able to hold liquids and mushies w/ just some foaming no vomiting. I thought the .5 was better. I probably don't have to tell you but after my last time I learned I will let doc do what they think no negotiating. I am going back Jan 5 and I don't think I want her to fill me at all i'm eating no more than 1000 calories and most days about 700.

I'm sitting here with my 'vomit/slime' bowl. I had two bites of something and even though I chewed each bite 20-30 times it still got stuck. I had the same food 2 days ago without any trouble. I don't actually feel 'restriction' in the way it was explained to me prior to surgery, I can either eat or not eat at all. It seems to be one or the other.

CNR try this... literally take a stop watch there is one on line or if you have an iphone the clock does it. Chew 30 seconds; wait 30 seconds before you even put anything in your mouth after you swallow - see if that helps. I was having SUCH problems until I started doing this!

I ended up in the ER and sob. they took all my sailine out. now I have no restriction. I had been in bandster hell for way to long. I had 2 bags of fluids put in by IV . Now I can at least get liquids down now. They had to take the Fluid out by using a xray machine as my regular Doc. was not available. I sure this will be the most expensive unfill I have ever seen.

Now I hope the band calms down. as I was swelled to the point of no fluids going down.

Scotty how do you feel now w/ no restriction? How did it get like this I am so surprised to read this. Did you have a bad stuck episode or something after that initial fill?

Did you try the MOTRIN? I didn't see ur post w/ the Pepto but MOTRIN can help get inflammation down (must be liquid - childrens) - I think we posted that in this thread. For future reference. Even after fills it helps. Someone else suggested it and I think it helps. Also the band reacts better to hot than cold. And alcohol one of our docs actually recommends it and if I have an 'event' i'll always have a glass of wine or two (but I"m told that drinking hot before eating has the same effect) as it opens you up. I'm sorry I hope you are feeling better - what a bummer that you had to deal w/ that over Christmas.

OMG I just saw this - how scary I'm so sorry... Why did it get worse? Did you not stay on liquids after the unfill? Then again when I got unfilled I didn't have to.... BUT I was able to hold liquids and mushies w/ just some foaming no vomiting. I thought the .5 was better. I probably don't have to tell you but after my last time I learned I will let doc do what they think no negotiating. I am going back Jan 5 and I don't think I want her to fill me at all i'm eating no more than 1000 calories and most days about 700.

CNR try this... literally take a stop watch there is one on line or if you have an iphone the clock does it. Chew 30 seconds; wait 30 seconds before you even put anything in your mouth after you swallow - see if that helps. I was having SUCH problems until I started doing this!

Scotty how do you feel now w/ no restriction? How did it get like this I am so surprised to read this. Did you have a bad stuck episode or something after that initial fill?

Did you try the MOTRIN? I didn't see ur post w/ the Pepto but MOTRIN can help get inflammation down (must be liquid - childrens) - I think we posted that in this thread. For future reference. Even after fills it helps. Someone else suggested it and I think it helps. Also the band reacts better to hot than cold. And alcohol one of our docs actually recommends it and if I have an 'event' i'll always have a glass of wine or two (but I"m told that drinking hot before eating has the same effect) as it opens you up. I'm sorry I hope you are feeling better - what a bummer that you had to deal w/ that over Christmas.

I did try the motrin with no help, With all the Fluid out of the band Water and liquids still go down really slow. One thing I know for sure is that I will work his out as the ER said that if I still have problems the band has to come out. I for one do not want that. At Least the fluids are starting to flow and I did not have anymore IV's.

also I did not have a real bad stuck issue to cause this. being this far into the band I surprised myself with this whole deal. I hope the band calms down. I will go see my Band DR> on wed. I am sure I will get some of my Fluid in the band replaced. Thanks for your reply your the best. scotty d.

Scotty what do you think caused this - I wonder if your doc will have any theories. I did notice you are far Stress causes it to get tighter but I wouldn't think THAT tight. Its hard to believe that with all liquid out and it is still this bad. Keep us posted. Stay on liquids extra long don't rush back to mushies even. I hope you can call the doc soon and at least get some guidance on what you should do to keep this calm and getting better.

PS don't be in a rush to get Fluid replaced..... you don't need the fluids right now and by wed you probably won't either. Just focus on getting better. Remember back when you had surgery? Your swelling could be on that level if not worse. I am 3 months post op - and even after surgery w/ no restriction liquids were not a problem but I still had to stay on liquids for 10 days then mushies for 10 days. Remember your in this for the long haul. I'm sure you are still losing so the band is doing its job - in fact it is overdoing its job right now.

I am waiting till the 6th of Jan before I get Fluid put back in the band. My Dr. said it is for the best as I had a pretty bad deal and I need to heal. Funny thing is I have pretty good restriction with out anything in the band funny thing right now. I am sure I will not go back to 8cc's for quite sometime. Maybe my stomach needed a rest I have taken off a lot of weight this past year and I am really happy. I have 21 more to go. Or so.

I am waiting till the 6th of Jan before I get Fluid put back in the band. My Dr. said it is for the best as I had a pretty bad deal and I need to heal. Funny thing is I have pretty good restriction with out anything in the band funny thing right now. I am sure I will not go back to 8cc's for quite sometime. Maybe my stomach needed a rest I have taken off a lot of weight this past year and I am really happy. I have 21 more to go. Or so.

Wow, I just read your posts and that sounds scary. Your stomach may be really sensitive like mine. I remember I had restriction just from having my band put on and I have only had 2 fills in 17 months for a total of 2ccs. If you still feel some restriction when your appointment approaches, you probably shouldn't get the fill. You can always go back later once you feel it is necessary. Good luck.

I know I am loving this thing too - I am almost halfway there and really only 20 lbs away from where I would be happy with my weight. This month because I was too tight I've taken off about 14-15 lbs. I thought the 10 I dropped in the two weeks of being overfilled would be it for the month but no. I still think I may be a tad too tight or maybe this is my sweet spot. I salivate just a little bit every now and then. I am not getting stuck. My calories could range from 400 to 1200 depending on the day. I'm losing a lot this week because i'm burning alot in exercise as I'm not working and I train in horseback riding (on days I ride between running around at the barn, riding, and any other walking I do around home I burn about 800-900 calories (according to my Bodybugg) which I will have to double check with a heart rate monitor :)

Did you go back at all to your doc or you are just waiting till the 6th? I would love to hear why he thinks this happened (just so I can avoid it :tongue2:. I go back on the 5th but I really don't think I want a fill to be honest. I don't want to feel that overtightness and I don't think i need it. If anything maybe a bit more of an unfill but really i think its just right... how do you know?

So glad to see all of these posts. I am sitting here struggling with keeping anything down tonight. It seems like if I take one bite of something and it doesn't go down right, then I am in trouble for the rest of the day/night. I took a bite of a pork chop tonight and it all came back up. After that, I can't even get down frozen yogurt or any liquid. I have been banded for 10 1/2 months and have lost 40 pounds. It was wonderful to get through the holiday season and not gain, but lose weight. I don't want to get any Fluid removed from my band, but I just wonder if this continuous "vomiting" is hurting me in some way. I really don't know what to call it because it is really just opening my mouth and what I ate coming out.

Another thing I have wondered - when this happens, I seem to have to blow my nose alot at the same time. Does that happen to anyone else?

So glad to see all of these posts. I am sitting here struggling with keeping anything down tonight. It seems like if I take one bite of something and it doesn't go down right, then I am in trouble for the rest of the day/night. I took a bite of a pork chop tonight and it all came back up. After that, I can't even get down frozen yogurt or any liquid. I have been banded for 10 1/2 months and have lost 40 pounds. It was wonderful to get through the holiday season and not gain, but lose weight. I don't want to get any Fluid removed from my band, but I just wonder if this continuous "vomiting" is hurting me in some way. I really don't know what to call it because it is really just opening my mouth and what I ate coming out.

Another thing I have wondered - when this happens, I seem to have to blow my nose alot at the same time. Does that happen to anyone else?

RBC make sure you are chewing well (pork chops are very difficult foods so if you normally have to chew 30 times you prob have to chew 100 times). In my support group they said you can eat steak no problem you just need to work harder. And AFTER you chew wait 30 seconds before you pick up your next bite and I mean really wait - time yourself to keep yourself honest. If you have been continuously throwing up you need to go on liquids for a day or two as there is inflammation and it needs to go down. Its what is referred to here as PB or regurgitation. Are you just doing it once and it plops out or is it a 4 hour event. If the latter you are stuck. If the former you probably ate too fast or didn't chew enough. I was having SUCH problems until I started eating w/ a stopwatch. At least once a week I was having the PB issue. Then I got overfilled and could barely eat so I learned to eat really slow.

The runny nose is interesting people say that is a sign of full. I notice this too and sometimes even pressure in my ears. My own personal theory is that it is a reaction in the esophagus that goes all the way up to your jaw line and somehow this affects your nose. Well actually isn't that connected to the esophagus? Sometimes when I am full or get pressure... I can feel tighttness in my jaw by my ears in addition to runny nose. I have heard many mention the runny nose and if it is happening it could just mean you need to stop eating but it also sounded like this was happening w/ the first bite???

ANOTHER thing that they say is the first bite syndrome where your esophagus spasms and you sort of get stuck. The things that help are

a) eating slow as i mentioned above

:lol: have something hot to drink before hand (but you need to wait 5 mins to eat after drinking)

c) eat that first bite and then go and do something for 20 mins and come back to your actual meal.

a and b helped me more than c. I figured out I wasn't eating slow enough and when they say eat slow its not anything any other person w/o a band would be doing to be honest.

Thanks for the information. I have thought about trying something like taking a bite, do something else, taking another bite and doing that until I have eaten something nutritious. I am just 20 pounds from where I want to be so I really don't want to have any Fluid removed. I am also glad to know about the four hour thing. I just tried to swallow my nightly pills and they came back up. Finally I tried again and I felt something break free and go down. It must have been something stuck from the beginning.

Thanks for the information. I have thought about trying something like taking a bite, do something else, taking another bite and doing that until I have eaten something nutritious. I am just 20 pounds from where I want to be so I really don't want to have any Fluid removed. I am also glad to know about the four hour thing. I just tried to swallow my nightly pills and they came back up. Finally I tried again and I felt something break free and go down. It must have been something stuck from the beginning.

actually 4 hours was an example my doc used - it could apply to two hours she was making the point that if you regurgitate once you don't need to be on liquids but if its continuous you need to go on liquids and the one way to figure it out is that you should listen to your body so if you aren't keeping things down that is a clear sign to go on liquids. You sound like you were stuck and need to be on liquids to be honest. Even if you felt something break free you are now inflamed and probably swollen. Better safe than sorry.

This is all so interesting.... I was JUST filled today .4 cc, and I was great at the time of the fill. Two hours later, I did some Soup. Then, at about 5pm I had terrible heartburn, but thought nothing of it. At 6pm, I tried to do a Protein shake and it wouldn't go down AT ALL. Now, its 2:45am, and I am throwing up my own saliva and foam every 15 minutes or so. I obviously realize that I am swollen and thinking about trying the liquid Motrin?.?.?

I hate to go to the ER at 2:45 in the morning, and am hoping the swelling goes down and I can tolerate it, b/c I really don't want any taken out if I can just get through the swelling part!!