Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest Weight Loss Surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for Weight Loss Surgery patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your Weight Loss Surgery decisions as well as providing you the Weight Loss Surgery support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive BariatricPal member features!

Join our 250K+ WLS member community. It's free!!!

Breakfast ideas that don't involve EGGS!

Views
Started by thecooley, Oct 14, 2009 5:17 PM
17 replies to this topic
17 replies to this topic

thecooley

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Surgeon: Ravindra Maliapur
  • Surgery Date: Sep 2009
  • Height: 5 feet 4 inches
Posted October 14, 2009 - 5:17 PM

I am sensitive to eggs (they make me throw up), so I am really having trouble coming up with breakfast food other than a protein shake. I don't eat yogurt or mayo either. Does anyone have some suggestions about what I can eat?

Band_Groupie

Touring With The Band

• Surgeon: Jorge Urbandt
  • Surgery Date: Apr 2009
  • Height: 5 feet 8 inches
  • Starting Weight: 248
  • Weight Lost: 105
  • Current Weight: 143
  • Goal Weight: 148
  • BMI: 21.7
  • My Blogs
Posted October 14, 2009 - 5:52 PM

I eat 1/2 serving of regular oatmeal with several scoops of soy protein powder and several of Benefiber (and some extra water to adjust it) thrown in. You can add SF syrup, sugar substitute, cinnamon or nutmeg, SF preserves, or fruit on top. It's high fiber and high protein. I have this almost every day.

thecooley

Posted October 15, 2009 - 7:03 AM

That sounds very yummy! Does oatmeal have a lot of carbs? Do you only do meat and veggies the rest of the day?

Brockbabe82

Bariatric Evangelist

• Surgeon: Burritt Haag
  • Surgery Date: Nov 2008
  • Starting Weight: 420
  • Weight Lost: 240
  • Current Weight: 180
  • Goal Weight: 160
  • BMI: 30.9
Posted October 15, 2009 - 7:38 AM

That sounds very yummy! Does oatmeal have a lot of carbs? Do you only do meat and veggies the rest of the day?

You can get oatmeal that has low carbs. I believe quakers weight contol is one them. I also eat cottage cheese with fruit in it. You could also try a protein shake and a piece of fruit. I do apples with peanut butter on them, things that are simple but still have protein. Good luck to you.

kimaly

Bariatric Master

• Height: 5 feet 6 inches
  • Starting Weight: 267 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 117 lbs
  • Current Weight: 150 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 150 lbs
  • BMI: 24.2
Posted October 15, 2009 - 8:53 AM

I'm an oatmeal girl also, I can't eat much first thing in the morning so I do the protein drink first wait about an hour then the weight control oatmeal, I like the cinnamon, also greek yogart(doesn't taste like reg yogart) Has more protein in it then reg. yogart. Mix a little sf strawberry or blackberry perserves in it. 15 grams of protein not a bad start to your morning. It's also good as a sour cream subsatute. Have you tried a protein bar?

ParrotheadCathy

Bariatric Master

Posted October 15, 2009 - 9:18 AM

I don't like "regular" yogurt but I LOVE Greek yogurt with honey. Another poster on this site suggested it to me. I was very leary because I really, really don't like yogurt but she promised me it was different. I tried a version that was vanilla flavored and that went right in the trash, LOL. But the honey was fantastic. I buy Greek Gods Greek Yogurt with Honey at Kroger. But Fage and Chobani are two other brands and I think WalMart carries one or both of those.

Grits. yeah, I'm a Southern girl alright! I cook them in the microwave, add a little Promise "margarine" and a little bit of shredded low fat cheese and really enjoy that.

Band_Groupie

Touring With The Band

• Surgeon: Jorge Urbandt
  • Surgery Date: Apr 2009
  • Height: 5 feet 8 inches
  • Starting Weight: 248
  • Weight Lost: 105
  • Current Weight: 143
  • Goal Weight: 148
  • BMI: 21.7
  • My Blogs
Posted October 15, 2009 - 10:03 AM

You can get oatmeal that has low carbs. I believe quakers weight contol is one them.

Actually, the Quaker Weight Control Oatmeals have more carbs in them than regular Old Fashioned Oatmeal; it also has more calories, but it has a few more grams of protein and fiber (you have to be so careful with all the WL Food items these days LOL).

With the 1/2 serving of the Old Fashioned Oats it's 13.5g of carbs and 2 of those are fiber (of course before I add all the protein and extra fiber). Really good for you and I'm never hungry before lunch. Had it this morning with a little SF Maple Syrup on top...yummm. Eating this helped my cholesterol come down even before I started losing with the LB.

Oh, I should add it's over 20g of protein once I add everything...

Edited by Band_Groupie, October 16, 2009 - 4:03 PM.

Cherishthepast

Guru in Training

• Surgeon: Marc Rickford
  • Surgery Date: Aug 2009
  • Height: 5 feet 3 inches
  • Starting Weight: 230
  • Weight Lost: 75
  • Current Weight: 155
  • Goal Weight: 145
  • BMI: 27.5
Posted October 15, 2009 - 10:41 AM

I make muffins (blueberry, banana...) and freeze them. I grab one each day or days that the thought of cereal (cold or hot) isn't high on my list. There's a great muffin recipe on splenda's website. I've made them repeatedly and the family doesn't realize that there's no sugar.

I find a muffin w/ an apple, banana or slice of melon is a great change.

thecooley

Posted October 15, 2009 - 11:00 AM

These are GREAT ideas! I am so excited to try some of the suggestions. LOL, I can't believe I didn't think of cheese grits. I'll bet some plain protein powder wouldn't even be noticed in grits, considering I used to make them with milk. I had a stick of string cheese for breakfast this morning, but I think I will need to supplement that with something in the future, because it didn't stick around very long.

What kind of protein bars are good? I am always worried about the sugar in those things. I looked at some in Walgreens one day and they had like 300 calories! Maybe I'm just not looking at the right ones.

I wonder if there's a way to make high protein muffins? I'm going to do some research on this one. I love to bake.

Apples2

Bariatric Legend

• My Blogs
Posted October 15, 2009 - 11:11 AM

I make a pot of the steel cut oats and freeze in the one cup Glad portion containers. That way, I just have to defrost in the mircorwave and not cooking it on a daily basis. Always at my fingertips. I do as poster said above. SF maple syrup, raisins, 1/2 banana, mix a Tbls of peanut butter in it. I also eat Fiber One and Kashi cereals. They have protein, plus I get my fiber. Pure Protein bars and Myoplex Lite bars are great also. Turkey sausages with a little salsa to give them a kick, cottage cheese topped with mango salsa or fresh fruit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Featured Surgeons

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Dec 19
    Dea

low blood sugar

Show comments (3)
View All Updates

Topics with No Reply