Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I get a Gastric bypass after a lap band

BigMamma,

Don't let the fact that the band didn't work for some discourage you from getting healthy. Look at the positive posts. I've lost 80lbs and was banded 10/08.

Good Luck

Thanks Nora,

I understand your fear I had it also and changed my mind at the last minute to have the lap band but didn't know enough about it when I had it done. It does seem to work for a lot of people especially those that are large portion eaters. As long as you gather all the info you can beforehand and know the pitfalls that people can fall into as well as the comps you should do fine! Good luck to you Nancy.:thumbup:

Fortunetly we are all different and there does seem to be a lot of positve reports. I'll just keep praying I'm going to be one of them.

bigmamma78,

I forgot to respond to part of your earlier post. I'm almost 50 so my hair started thinning prior to my surgery. I haven't lost any hair since my RNY but my bariatric group puts us on a chewable supplement/vit that we take four times a day and that's it. As far as shots my daughter had a B12 shot once and you get bloodwork done every few months or so to see if you are deficient in anything. Take care and stay positive! Nancy.

I have had the lap-band for 5 years i was 285 went down to 150 then went back up to 210 and i have been at 210 for a year. I want to get the gastric bypass because it is not working for me. I do excerise i walk everywhere i live in South korea and don't drive so i have to walk everywhere i don't have a choice. I went to the doc and he said i can get it reveresd but they don't do that here now i have to wait 2 months (when my hubby and i get back to the states YAY!)and see a new doc and try to get him to give my the gastric bypass. the only thing is i don't know what is the best i thought the lab-band was good because it sounded good and less scaring. so does anyone have a idea on which one i should pursue? ope to sugestions.:o

I would suggest joining the forum at www.obesityhelp.com because they discuss all forms of WLS there and have a revision section also which I found very helpful after my band was removed and eventually revised to my RNY. So far I've been happy with my revision but learn as much as you can prior to moving back to the states and finding a new doctor. Good luck to you, Nancy.

I would suggest joining the forum at www.obesityhelp.com because they discuss all forms of WLS there and have a revision section also which I found very helpful after my band was removed and eventually revised to my RNY. So far I've been happy with my revision but learn as much as you can prior to moving back to the states and finding a new doctor. Good luck to you, Nancy.

Yes, I had to do something after they remove my Band that I loved, I now have the sleeve and lost 100 more pounds on that in one years time, its better than the Gastric bypass. Stayed only one day in hospital, no pain great doctors in newport beach ca. :rolleyes:

its better than the Gastric bypass. :rolleyes:

It's not "better".

It is better for SOME People. It is DIFFERENT than the sleeve. But NO Weight Loss Surgery is "better" than any other for everyone.

S.

It's not "better".

It is better for SOME People. It is DIFFERENT than the sleeve. But NO Weight Loss Surgery is "better" than any other for everyone.

S.

Sorry it took me so long to get back with you, been so busy like everyone else. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

You don’t have dumping or mal absorption with the sleeve. You would need to see what is good for you. I wanted to eat everything, not having to have blood work all the time so see if I was getting all the proper nutrition. I eat all of the food groups; sugar/starch will not cause me to dump thats the difference from the Gastric bypass. But I did love my Band! :tongue2:<o:p></o:p>

I had surgery August 16th, 2010. I weighed 217lbs before going into the operating room. Today is October 15th and I still weigh 217. I left the hospital with 4cc's and had my first fill 6wks post op. I'm now 5.5cc's. My band capacity is 10cc's. I'm very frustrated and wondering why this isn't working for me? Will gastric bypass work? Has anyone here been through similar circumstances? :)

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Great learning thread. Thanks for the great read guys/gals.