Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kidney Problems?????

OVER THE HOLIDAYS I HAD THE WORST KIDNEY INFECTION IMAGINABLE! OF COURSE IT PROBABLY SAVED ME FROM GAINING WEIGHT OVER THE HOLIDAYS, BUT I TRULY THOUGHT I MIGHT DIE. THE PROBLEM IS THE WAIT AFTER MEALS BEFORE YOU DRINK. BY THE TIME I WAIT FOR AN HOUR TO DRINK I USUALLY AM NOT THIRSTY ANYMORE SO I FORGET TO DRINK. THE DOCTOR SAID THE POWDERED LOW CALORIE drinks MAY CAUSE PROBLEMS TOO. I WAS DRINKING THE Walmart BRAND OF CRYSTAL LIGHT ICED TEA MIX. I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYBODY HAS HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH PAIN IN THEIR KIDNEYS OR ANY PROBLEMS GETTING ENOUGH FLUIDS I? THANKS FOR ANY INPUT.:rolleyes:

I have been having some back pain the last couple of weeks, but I think it's a pinched sciatiac nerve; but I was worried it was a kidney infection.

Maybe a string around our finger to help remind you? Or a timer? I find I get a lot of Water in at work (I count the number of bottles I drink), but at home and on the weekends, I'm terrible with the Water. If it weren't for work, I'm afraid I wouldn't be doing as well.

Maybe carry a bottle of water around with you..whatever you are doing, then you will see it and it will remind you?

Good luck!

-Becky

Ice tea is bad for kidneys, you may want to try switching to lemonade. I have had major kidney issues in the past and my Urologist suggested lemonade over cranberry something to do with the uric acids. I'm not sure if the CL Tea has the same as other brewed teas but I'd lay off it a bit. Also try Uristat which is available at the pharmacy it helps lessen the pain b/c it never fails to show up at 2am! Also turns your urine a lovely orange!

My kidney issue is problems with not being able to process Proteins, celery & berries which is why I have to avoid a lot of it I get stones. Kidney pain is the worse I feel for you. But for a man to get stones is hell on earth! Watch yourself.

Thankyou for your support. I gave upthe CL tea. I have not had anymore since the last bout withthe kidney pain. I mostly stick to Water and coffee. I seem to do o.k. with just those two.:lol:

Mine did turn out to be a pinched nerve (she said as she stood typing this), so I am working through that now. Interesting about the kidney, Lizziee, I didn't know iced tea was bad. Glad I don't drink it. If I do have any Crystal light, it's maybe 1 a day (which I put in the BIG arrowhead bottle because it's too strong for me otherwise).

Good luck everyone!

-Becky

I've been drinkink Breakfast (slim fast) and then my coffee and then making my self get at least 1/2 of my Water in the morning because it's so hard to get it in in the aft and if I wait until after dinner I'm peeing all night. That seems to work well for me.

They bad thing about lemonade is that it causes teeth problems unless you brush your teeth after you have had a glass of it... The acid in it sits in your mouth and causes tooth decay..... When I heard that I realized why my dad's teeth have all broken off at the gums, he drinks at least 2 glasses of lemonade every day...

in response to the lemonaide..acid wear..it does mess up your teeth BUT, if you are going to brush your teeth immediately after drinking it does even more damage. it is recommended that you rinse your mouth with Water, or wait at least 15 minutes before you brush your teeth because the acid makes the enamel soft and you essentially brush it away over time. this goes for soda's etc. (so watch your kids).

in response to drinking..i'm having a horrible time. i can't drink fast, things get stuck, etc. i slime on liquids A LOT. so i get where i tend to not want to drink..it's much easier to eat. however, i got sick this last week and couldn't keep any liquids down for 48 hours..i got VERY VERY dehydrated. I finally go 4 glasses of kool aid down yesterday (16 ounces..with sugar..and i licked some salt to help with hydration) and i started feeling much better.

we have to be careful..and i know exactly what you mean..i eat..wait an hour..then forget for 3 and then it's time to eat again..so no drink.

Im glad I am not alone in this battle to stay hydrated.

I have a bottle of Water on my desk and in my bedroom but I still forget to drink regularly. I drink other things, eg, green tea. I also eat fruit which I believe contributes to my water intake. I definitely need to make more of an effort. I will set up a calendar reminder on my work computer so it comes up every hour... that will make it at least 7 glasses a day. Mobile phone reminders can work just as well... may as well use our great technology to help.

I spent the day yesterday in the ER with what the Doc said was Probable Renal Colic. THE WORST PAIN EVER!!! After some morphine and three bags of saline, an EKG and a CAT scan, I was sent home with Vicodine and instructions to drink more Water. I already drink at least 80oz a day, he said continue to drink more and see my PCP in four days. Today I feel like someone punched me in the back on both sides, but nowhere near the pin I was in yesterday. I hope no one has to experience that excruciating pain...terrible! I plan on filling a gallon picture of Water and finishing that by the end of each day.

oh, yeah and the Doc also said he found a rash on my back that ppears to be the beginnings of Shingles! I pray he is wrong!!!!

I keep Water with me whereever I go. I have it in the bathroom in the bedroom on my nightstand it is in every room of my house and three bottles in the car at all times. I am constantly drinking, this was the only way I found to get the Water in, was to drink constantly.

I feel better now that I am getting in the water. I also notice a huge difference in my skin and my hair....:wink2:

DRINKING Water SEEMS TO BE THE BIG ANSWER HERE. BEFORE BEING BANDED I SWEAR I NEVER DRANK MORE THAN ONE GLASS OF WATER A DAY IF THAT. NOT I DRINK ABOUT 3 OR FOUR bottles OF WATER A DAY.. IT REALLY DOES HELP AND THANK GOD NO MORE KIDNEY PAINS!:rolleyes: