Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Replacement: Advise |Please

My band has never held all of the fills put in. Today I went for a fill & only 1/2cc was left in the band. I was suppose to have 4cc's. To say the least I am verrry frustrated. They used omnipaque to fill my band today but only put in 2.5cc. I felt some restriction afterwards, but it seems to be gone already. We did not see any leaks from the port or the band with fluro. Anybody have to have their band replaced for such a reason? Did you have to pay again? How bad is lap band replacement surgery? I would think the band is embedded into the stomach & the risk of stomach perforation would be higher.

Usually it is the port, the next common issue is the tubing. I don't quite understand how there could be a leak that is leaking this quickly yet it couldn't be seen under fluoro. What is your doc suggesting? Is your band an Inamed?

Mis42,

i had my band replaced May 24 due to a leak in the top of the band. My insurance WAS billed a second time.

Usually it is the port, the next common issue is the tubing. I don't quite understand how there could be a leak that is leaking this quickly yet it couldn't be seen under fluoro. What is your doc suggesting? Is your band an Inamed?

He only put in 2.5cc's of Omnipaque. I'm wondering if he would have filled the band to 10cc's if the leak would have showed up. Of course now is a fine time to find out that my surgeon has less experience with this than he led me to believe. My band is an Inmed& i'm wondering if they would assist to have it replaced. Anyone know the answer to that?

Mis42,

i had my band replaced May 24 due to a leak in the top of the band. My insurance WAS billed a second time.

I was lucky to get the insurance to pay 15,000 of my first bill. My husband has changed jobs & our current insurance does not cover for any type of weight loss surgery. How was your leak detected? Did you lose restriction very rapidly after a fill? Was the 2nd surgery worst than the first? I have lots of questions.

hi mis!

no prob.

I went in for a third fill (I fly down to houston tx from maine) and after an aggressive fill, i had no restriction. He has me drink Water after each fill.

Dr noticed that i was downing the Water pretty fast, asked me about restriction and i still felt none. He said he was going to try something, so he filled me with a little more, again with the water test, alittle more fill, again with the water test....still no restriction. after about six of those he asked if i felt any difference and i didnt, but i did have to pee. :car:

When he tried to pull out the fill he couldnt pull out any except for what was still in the tube. next was flouro. then he got me in right away and replaced my band with a new small AP band.

i would definitely talk to your dr's staff about how this was going to be financed, especially if you dont have insurance anymore. I wonder if they would help you get medicare financing? If it were me, id call them asap for an intense sit down about that. let us know what happens.

I so-o-o understand your fears. I had a Vanguard band for 30 moths with a fill at 9.1cc until my band leaked...at the band's intertube. It is currently being sent to Allergen for their evaluation and based on there review, I am antisipating that they will help me some (or all) for my out-of-pocket/self-paided replacement. But they could never repay me for the mental hardship that occured for the next 12 months because of the leak. Even with a wonderful lawyer, I spent from month 30 til month 42 with a non-functioning band FIGHTING UHC/Company benifts, who had paid for the first one. This was even though they had paid for the first lap-band. But I lost every appeal for a replacement. They approved the removal but not the replacement..."healthcare"...RIGHT!!!~~~### go think about this one a while...and I can tell you what PAIN is. Durring this 12 months of a very emotional time because of the fighting with UHC, I regained 40 of the 77 pounds back. I am telling you all of this because I hope you will learn from some from me and not do that.

My second surgery (self-paided) was on 10/17/07 and it's hard to believe ....but it was better than the first as I had different doctors. My second doctor is know as one who is world-class.... and he is. I had no pain. It was because of his being a very gentle, very skilled doctor. He was in the OR part of the surgery for over 2.2 hours (per or notes) "digging-out" the old vanguard band & port and then replacing it with a new APs and new low-profile port in a different place than the first port. I was prepared for "more" pain but I never needed any pain meds..not the first. Everything has to do with the surgron and your pain level. The only differents was the tireness that happen about day 5-8 which had more to do with the +21 days of liquid only diet at that time.

I know you are in emotional pain now. But you are the only person that can determine if it's worth it a second time or not. It is a risk that something else might happen and a huge financial investment in your dream. But I can only tell you that today I have hope again of getting healthier, and staying that way. For me at 54, it was worth it. I wish you well and pray that you will be content with whatever you do.

With warm regards,

I so-o-o understand your fears. I had a Vanguard band for 30 moths with a fill at 9.1cc until my band leaked...at the band's intertube. It is currently being sent to Allergen for their evaluation and based on there review, I am antisipating that they will help me some (or all) for my out-of-pocket/self-paided replacement. But they could never repay me for the mental hardship that occured for the next 12 months because of the leak. Even with a wonderful lawyer, I spent from month 30 til month 42 with a non-functioning band FIGHTING UHC/Company benifts, who had paid for the first one. This was even though they had paid for the first lap-band. But I lost every appeal for a replacement. They approved the removal but not the replacement..."healthcare"...RIGHT!!!~~~### go think about this one a while...and I can tell you what PAIN is. Durring this 12 months of a very emotional time because of the fighting with UHC, I regained 40 of the 77 pounds back. I am telling you all of this because I hope you will learn from some from me and not do that.

My second surgery (self-paided) was on 10/17/07 and it's hard to believe ....but it was better than the first as I had different doctors. My second doctor is know as one who is world-class.... and he is. I had no pain. It was because of his being a very gentle, very skilled doctor. He was in the OR part of the surgery for over 2.2 hours (per or notes) "digging-out" the old vanguard band & port and then replacing it with a new APs and new low-profile port in a different place than the first port. I was prepared for "more" pain but I never needed any pain meds..not the first. Everything has to do with the surgron and your pain level. The only differents was the tireness that happen about day 5-8 which had more to do with the +21 days of liquid only diet at that time.

I know you are in emotional pain now. But you are the only person that can determine if it's worth it a second time or not. It is a risk that something else might happen and a huge financial investment in your dream. But I can only tell you that today I have hope again of getting healthier, and staying that way. For me at 54, it was worth it. I wish you well and pray that you will be content with whatever you do.

With warm regards,

I have a new insurance company that does not cover any type of obesity surgery. Did you have to hire an attorney to file a suit against Allergan? I have called them & guess what they do not return my call. Go figure. I do not think that I would use the same surgeon. Now that all this is happening, I'm realizing he does not have as much experience as he led me to believe. Did it cost you more to get the old one taken out & the new one put in? I'm even suspecting that my band was leaking from the beginning. The only real restriction that I had was probably from post-op swelling. I need to lose at least 40 more pounds, so I don't know at this point if it is worth it to have it changed out. Although, i have fought my weight all my life & would benefit from having a functional band. How much was self-pay to repeat the procedure? To top it off, I'm a legal nurse consultant. All I do all day long is review medical charts collecting information used in lawsuits.

my surgeons office billed my insurance for the same amount as the first surgery. He replaced the old band in the same surgery, i didnt have to wait for later rebanding or anything like that. I went with the same surgeon because his stats are solid and hes truely fantastic. It boiled down to me having to ask myself weather i trusted him or not, and i do. My recovery was extremely smooth. It looks like you will be self pay if you have it redone. You are forty lbs away from goal. If it were me, id self pay. On my own my weight goes up and down in drastic leaps, then just goes on and stays on. Id reinvest. Given your job, and your knowledge of procedures, it must make it difficult to decide. Are you going to sue Allergen? Can you pursue self pay and going ahead with the surgery ELSEWHERE, and then attempt to retrieve your initial investment back through allergen in a separate suit? Its a hard call. What direction are you leaning towards?

my surgeons office billed my insurance for the same amount as the first surgery. He replaced the old band in the same surgery, i didnt have to wait for later rebanding or anything like that. I went with the same surgeon because his stats are solid and hes truely fantastic. It boiled down to me having to ask myself weather i trusted him or not, and i do. My recovery was extremely smooth. It looks like you will be self pay if you have it redone. You are forty lbs away from goal. If it were me, id self pay. On my own my weight goes up and down in drastic leaps, then just goes on and stays on. Id reinvest. Given your job, and your knowledge of procedures, it must make it difficult to decide. Are you going to sue Allergen? Can you pursue self pay and going ahead with the surgery ELSEWHERE, and then attempt to retrieve your initial investment back through allergen in a separate suit? Its a hard call. What direction are you leaning towards?

I don't think that I will sue anyone. That is too much BS; all I want is a functional band. When I go in for my next visit, I will explore my options with the surgeon. I have 2 trips planned in November. If I get a new band, it will probably be at the beginning of the new year. If I have to self-pay, I don't think that I will go with the same surgeon. There is another surgeon about 30 miles away who has a more comprehensive program & has more experience. Do you think Allergan will reimburse you for the band?

Nope, i dont think they will do that at all.

I have ALWAYS found Don Mill (Don.Mills@Allergan.com), patient relations, and others at Inamed extremly professional, helpful and going beyond my exspectation. It is Allergan/Inamed's policy to physical evaluate the suspected defect through their own analysis before the cost (in-whole or part) of a second lap-band surgery is granted as a reinversment. If it were my company, I would do the same. My case is still pending, but because of my band's performance over time (30 months), the location of the "pinhole" being found suddenly, a contrast fluoroscopy being recorded of the leak at the band, the finding at the time of the removable by a different, well known US surgeon visually seeing the "pinhole" located in the intertube of the band...Yes, I believe they should also find the facts are the facts and agree to reinverse me the ~$15K for the surgery. When it happens, I will update you here.

After what I have been through with UHC for the past year, my trust does not come easy. I did hire a really good legal team, the Obesity Law firm from Ca (kelley@obesitylaw.com) to go after UHC and my company's benifit group...it went back and forth several times but it was UHC lawyer's who prevailed against me. After a year of significant mental pain, I changed to the BEST doctor anywhere and self-paid. I wish I could have done so sooner but when I exausted every legal means possible against UHC/company benifits groups, I did. I woke-up having my sergon confirm the band defect. It was wonderful news because I am very hopeful Allergern will do the right thing. I have no reasons from them to think differently....but we will see. All I wanted is for a lap-band to work. After a year having regained 40 of the 77 lbs back, it was worth the risk for a second single < 2hour surgery to both remove and have it replaced. But my surgeon did tell me before hand that there was a 10% chance that he may not be able to replace it because of potential adhesions. Oh also, after 6 months I had sn endoscopy done, so I already knew it was not a slip or errosion. But I went under not knowing what the outcome would be...it was tuff. The entire year was MORE than tuff. And I will always HATE health insurance companies who over charge us and deliever less and less services. Now that is an industry in America that we MUST go to war against....sorry, but there will be very, very few of the policy people in Heaven.

I had my 14 day check-up yesterday and I am perfect..no pain, all six incesions (2 are 3 inches) have completely healed, I am released to start swimming earier than exspected, I can sleep in any position, AND I get my fiirst fill in 2-weeks. I am so-o-o happy it's all behind me because I have a new functioning lap-band again.

But with Inamed, I have found them to be very upfront and even concern. I would recommed you start with emailing Don and giving him your telephone number...he will call you.

I have ALWAYS found Don Mill (Don.Mills@Allergan.com), patient relations, and others at Inamed extremly professional, helpful and going beyond my exspectation. It is Allergan/Inamed's policy to physical evaluate the suspected defect through their own analysis before the cost (in-whole or part) of a second lap-band surgery is granted as a reinversment. If it were my company, I would do the same. My case is still pending, but because of my band's performance over time (30 months), the location of the "pinhole" being found suddenly, a contrast fluoroscopy being recorded of the leak at the band, the finding at the time of the removable by a different, well known US surgeon visually seeing the "pinhole" located in the intertube of the band...Yes, I believe they should also find the facts are the facts and agree to reinverse me the ~$15K for the surgery. When it happens, I will update you.

After what I have been through with UHC for the past year, my trust does not come easy. I did hire a really good legal team, the Obesity Law firm from Ca (kelley@obesitylaw.com) to go after UHC and my company's benifit group...it went back and forth several times but it was UHC lawyer's who prevailed against me. After a year of significant mental pain, I changed to the BEST doctor anywhere and self-paid. I wish I could have done so sooner but when I exausted every legal means possible against UHC/company benifits groups, I did. I woke-up having my sergon confirm the band defect. It was wonderful news because I am very hopeful Allergern will do the right thing. I have no reasons from them to think differently....but we will see. All I wanted is for a lap-band to work. After a year having regained 40 of the 77 lbs back, it was worth the risk for a second single < 2hour surgery to both remove and have it replaced. But my surgeon did tell me before hand that there was a 10% chance that he may not be able to replace it because of potential adhesions. Oh also, after 6 months I had sn endoscopy done, so I already knew it was not a slip or errosion. But I went under not knowing what the outcome would be...it was tuff. The entire year was MORE than tuff. And I will always HATE health insurance companies who over charge us and deliever less and less services. Now that is an industry in America that we MUST go to war against....sorry, but there will be very, very few of the policy people in Heaven.

I had my 14 day check-up yesterday and I am perfect..no pain, all six incesions (2 are 3 inches) have completely healed, I am released to start swimming earier than exspected, I can sleep in any position, AND I get my fiirst fill in 2-weeks. I am so-o-o happy it's all behind me because I have a new functioning lap-band again.

But with Inamed, I have found them to be very upfront and even concern. I would recommed you start with emailing Don and giving him your telephone number...he will call you.

I e-mailed Don today. Thank you for all the help. I will have to think long & hard about which surgeon I would have take this band out & replace it.Maybe I could go to DR. Garth Davis in Houston which is about 4 hrs. away. The only drawback is that I would probably have to drive back there for fills. Congrats on a new functional band.

Everytime I have a fill, I can barely eat anything. And it gets worse and worse. I throw up clear mucous looking stuff. It is emabarassing because if I go out for a business luncheoun I have to excuse myself several times and go throw up. That just causes more irritation. It happens even with a small amount of fill. I have already had hernia surgery since the band surgery. When they did that the dr. changed the position of the band, but it is still like it was before. I don't have any fill in now, so of course the weight is coming back on. But I have noticed at times that when I go back and they measure how much Fluid I have, that it is less than before. I have questioned the dr. about leakage, but he kind of brushes it off. I am in a quandry, and sometimes wish I had never had it done. But I am self pay and cannot afford another surgery.

I have ALWAYS found Don Mill (Don.Mills@Allergan.com), patient relations, and others at Inamed extremly professional, helpful and going beyond my exspectation. It is Allergan/Inamed's policy to physical evaluate the suspected defect through their own analysis before the cost (in-whole or part) of a second lap-band surgery is granted as a reinversment. If it were my company, I would do the same. My case is still pending, but because of my band's performance over time (30 months), the location of the "pinhole" being found suddenly, a contrast fluoroscopy being recorded of the leak at the band, the finding at the time of the removable by a different, well known US surgeon visually seeing the "pinhole" located in the intertube of the band...Yes, I believe they should also find the facts are the facts and agree to reinverse me the ~$15K for the surgery. When it happens, I will update you here.

Judy, I did speak to Dan Payne. What it all boils down to is having the band removed & finding out if it is defective or if the band was punctured during surgery or a fill. Right now, I don't know what I will do. i will have to pay for the surgery & than hope to be reimbursed.