Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 9-28-07, How is everyone doing??

Just wanting to know how everyone is doing that got banded 9-28-07? I went through with my surgery in Monterrey,MX and got back Sunday night.

Mexico was an experience in itself and to tell a blow by blow of all my experience would take up too much space, but anyone considering having their band surgery in Mexico is welcomed to PM me and ask about my experience. I might still post a blog of some sort later on.

I read on here before I had my surgery that a lot of people right after their surgery began quesitoning their sanity and asking themselves just what the hell was I thinking and what the hell have I done to myself. Well I can now join that doubting band of bansters, as I too have asked myself the same questions.

I have had a rough 2 days post op to say the least, but today I feel better and therefore am on the computer and anxious to know how the rest of the 9-28'ers are doing?? I still feel a little 'brain fogged' and hope that is from lingering anesthesia and will dissipate soon, I hate that feeling.

I have had the gas pains!! I have had knawing hunger so bad it's what has made me so nauseous. The pain medication they gave me right after surgery made me sick and yes not 3 hours after surgery I was in the bathroom dry heaving. If I had a rather, I would rather suffer through the gas pain than to have such hunger that you are sick. I ate some chicken broth yesterday when I got back from the airport because I felt so starved. Well apparently it was too much for my sensitive stomach and my acid reflux and it made me absolutely miserable.

I finally made it home and as soon as I got here I made me a Protein shake. As soon as that shake hit my 'little friend' all was right with the world again. It was like nervana, and magic. The knawing hunger went away, the pain went away and talk about moving some gas!!!OMG!

I too have spent a fair amount of time in the bathroom with diarrhea. I know there is a lot of information on this board about the "PB" productive burp, but we need to talk about the post op "PF" productive fart! LOL

You just need to be careful when you hike that leg to pass a little gas, you may get a surprise!

Ok enough rambling besides I think I may need a little nap about now.

Let's hear from you ladies, how did your experience go?

Deb, I did really well. I did not have any of what you described but the pain from the gas. The pain is in my shoulder. But I have not had any today. Yesterday I had four Protein drinks, two cans of Soup, and a Popsicle!! How was the flight? Did the tapping work? Hope it all goes more smoothly from now on for you.

Sincerely,

Cleone

PS Deb, I lost five pounds from when I left to when I got on the scales this AM.

Cleone

Cleone, good to hear that all is well with you! Congrats on the 5lbs. Yes, I do believe that the tapping worked. I can only attribute me flying like a frequent flyer to the tap. I almost panicked when I first walked onto our first flight, but then I took a deep breath and sat down. I am so proud of myself

Also for the panic. I didn't panic one time or even feel like it. I have been using the method over and over and it seems to have really helped. As a matter of fact I ordered the book you suggested just today that's how much I believe it works!

I am slowly on the mend. I have been a bit of a quandry as to what of my medicines I can take?

I called my PCP this morning and she has me on 2 diff. blood pressure medicines. She told me to dissolve the one I take in the morning but to leave off the one I take at night. She has given me some chewable previcid which is a relief, but I take two small bitter pills at night that I had to take with butter to get to go down the old gullet and its a pill you are never suppose to stop suddenly. Well I haven't taken it since Thursday night and now I'm wondering if that's why I feel so funky in the head?? I'm going to try and take them tonight, I don't know about the butter method though, what do you think? Maybe with a yogurt smoothie. Anyway, I'm just glad that part of it's over and we both did well. Now it's time to work the band and that first fill.

Docsdeb - Congrats on being an offical bander - I am glad everything went well.. What kind of post op diet are you on - Full liquids plus Jello - pudding - yogurt - I take Atenonal (sp) and it's tiny and i took with just Water no problems - the other pb pill is about the size of Vitamin and i cut that one up and put in my sf pudding and took it that way... but after about a week i took it with just water - it has a nasty taste to it... I am off that med - but still take the atnenal as it is a beta blocker and you aren't just suppose to stop but that's cuz it makes your heart beat slower - Can you ck you blood pressure at home - maybe it's too low... are you diabetic?? It takes a few days to get back to your self - take your time..

Dear Deb, 8 lbs now! Try taking the pills in Jello or a smoothie like you said. I have been taking my capsule and small pill with just Water. I have been having shoulder pain pretty bad, worse now then last week. I feel good besides that. I am glad you are feeling better. Do you have a pharmacist that makes up stuff in your town? We do, I was just thinking, call your pharmacist and ask for suggestions.

glad we are on the other side! Cleone

Thank you indiogirl, I am doing ok with the meds now. but had a strange thing happen this morning.

I bought some carmel chewable Calcium and that nasty chewable Centrum Vitamin. I got to work feeling normal, I chewed the calcium and it was so bad but left a thick feeling film in the roof of my mouth, but ok. I chewed the centrum, did I say nasty! It went down ok too. In just a few minutes I'm feeling really weird. Very tight feeling in my chest and esophagus area. I have not experienced this before and it almost made me panic. I don't know what to make of it as I sit here and try to analyze what is going on. Did the Vitamins hit the pouch and fill me up and this is the 'full' feeling or did they give me indigestion of which I just need to burp to relieve the pressure??? I'm stumped!

Of course I just had to read the thread about banded people with panic disorders panicking after their first and subsequent fills. They said they get a real tight feeling in their chests that makes it feel like you can't breath which throws them into a panic. I thought great, I have done so well getting to Mexico, going through the surgery and getting home without panicking and really patting myself on the back to find out that I will probably struggle with panic after each and every fill.

I told DH, I will do everything in my power to head off these panic feelings and to move forward to my goal. I'm going to think that isn't how it will be with me and I won't panic.

But I still don't know what to make of how I'm feeling now.

Any thoughts?

Hi all Iwas banded on sept 24 been rough couple of weeks better now you all seem to be doing pretty good congrats on the rest of our lives. I keep wondering what do I do now with the rest of my life eating kinda was a big part of it thats how I got here.First I should say im 56 3 grown kids a wonderful husband of 40yr. and 8 grandkids but this is something I did for me.But im still scared about so many things every time a new pain Ipanic get 1st fill Oct.26 that I am scared of I know I need to get in enough Protein but still I have not talked to a dietician how do you get enough protein if it all makes you want to throw up. how much protein a day I afraid that my hair is going to fall out.Istarted at 223 lost to 212 on diet 6 days before surgery now im at 204 I paid cash and everthing went so fast had test week later saw dr. Marsden 6days later surgery I had my surg. in forth worth texas.

Thank you indiogirl, I am doing ok with the meds now. but had a strange thing happen this morning.

I bought some carmel chewable Calcium and that nasty chewable Centrum Vitamin. I got to work feeling normal, I chewed the calcium and it was so bad but left a thick feeling film in the roof of my mouth, but ok. I chewed the Centrum, did I say nasty! It went down ok too. In just a few minutes I'm feeling really weird. Very tight feeling in my chest and esophagus area. I have not experienced this before and it almost made me panic. I don't know what to make of it as I sit here and try to analyze what is going on. Did the Vitamins hit the pouch and fill me up and this is the 'full' feeling or did they give me indigestion of which I just need to burp to relieve the pressure??? I'm stumped!

Of course I just had to read the thread about banded people with panic disorders panicking after their first and subsequent fills. They said they get a real tight feeling in their chests that makes it feel like you can't breath which throws them into a panic. I thought great, I have done so well getting to Mexico, going through the surgery and getting home without panicking and really patting myself on the back to find out that I will probably struggle with panic after each and every fill.

I told DH, I will do everything in my power to head off these panic feelings and to move forward to my goal. I'm going to think that isn't how it will be with me and I won't panic.

But I still don't know what to make of how I'm feeling now.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like you had your first stuck - golf ball in the chest feeling - I would change calicum - might be too sticky for you - I have Caltrate chewables 1 morning & 1 night and they are pretty good and i have Flintstone with Iron chewables for Vitamins 2 in the morning & 2 at night - this is what my doc suggested

I am so glad you didn't panic :clap2: - Take it slow and it will be all good.

OMG Really??? Well then I am so proud of myself. I guess that's what it could have been. It wasn't that bad, just didn't know what to expect, now I do. Great! I got through it without PB'ing and best of all without panicking. Well good for me. Yup I have written down your Vitamins alternatives and will be going to get them tomorrow. Thank you so much. I really like having you for a 'ban-tor" that's band mentor to no banded people.lol I listen to your advice, it has a very calm tone that I seem to respond to. Thanks again.

Deb, I am surprised you can eat a chewy Calcium yet. I am still on liquids, If I can't get it in a straw, I can't eat it. Just a thought, Cleone

Get some good Protein from Slim fast low carb. It is 20 grams and does not taste too bad. You are about to be under the big 200. How exciting. when I get there yall will hear a victory shout!! I also ordered powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury powdered Protein so I could make smoothies ( I am sill on liquids). it has twenty grams for 60 calories. I got the flavored kind (a few more calories) and put it in the blender with yogurt and fresh fruit. Hope this helps.

Cleone

Yes Cleone, hingsight is 20/20 as they say. I should never have attempted that chewy Calcium, way too soon. Yes I am still on liquids also. I am doing 2 Protein Shakes a day. My doctor gave me a great recipe. I buy the isopur Protein Powder from GNC vanilla flavor, 25 gm of Protein per scoop. He told me to buy Bryers carb smart vanilla ice cream and put 2 scoops (small scoops) in 8 oz of skim milk. I have one of those personal blenders that doubles as a drinking cup (Love love) and it tates GREAT! I worried about the calories but he said no more than we are getting right now it was no problem. He said anytime I needed a pick me up or couldn't get all my protein in from regular eating to make one of those shakes. I heartily agreed! Hope you are doing better with the gas, I haven't had any since Monday night in my shoulders, now the other end is an entirely different story but I can handle that! LOL, otherwise other than yesterdays 'episode' I have felt great, a little tired. My husband is on to me constantly to take it easy, that I'm still healing even though I feel good. I want to do so much, I didn't even get to decorate my house for fall yet and it is killing me, but I have been more tired today and promised him I would slow down. It is just so hard when you are used to going non stop. Take care and let me know how you're doing.

Blessings

Deb

OMG Really??? Well then I am so proud of myself. I guess that's what it could have been. It wasn't that bad, just didn't know what to expect, now I do. Great! I got through it without PB'ing and best of all without panicking. Well good for me. Yup I have written down your Vitamins alternatives and will be going to get them tomorrow. Thank you so much. I really like having you for a 'ban-tor" that's band mentor to no banded people.lol I listen to your advice, it has a very calm tone that I seem to respond to. Thanks again.

Thanks Docsdeb - I am known for calming people down - I have a gf at work who gets all worked up about family issue - she is a worrier - and i am always bringing her back down to earth :D I have another gf who gets all worked up too - I guess i am just blessed not to be one to get all worked up - Like my Dad told me years ago - things always work out for the best - and its true - we get things so worked up in our heads and it ususally never turns out as bad as we thought it would be..

I have had a couple golf balls and pbing but it has ALWAY been when i forgot about the band and ate too fast and didn't chew and tried that one more bite cuz it tasted so good.

Stop when you are full - eat slowly and chew - you shouldn't have any problems - but know that if you forget about your band and you will eventually - and that old monster/devil will pop into your head - telling you - it's ok eat one more bite - things are going good you are loosing - no need to keep this up - the band will do the work - don't listen... He (monster devil) is lying to you... and your band will remind you..

Friday I was HUNGRY went to lunch w/my gf and let my old ways come back - (i have always been one that my eyes are bigger than my tummy) i order taco, enchallida, Beans - ate chips before food came - figured i had all week to work off the calories - food came and i could only eat the taco - the band does work - i was tempted to keep eating cuz of that taste good feeling - but didn't - took the doggie box home for dinner - Still wasn't the best choice for lunch should have had chevice (sp) but let that little devil on the left shoulder over power the one on the right... So now I have set up a challenge for myself to search the menus for healthly choices and not to let that devil win...

Yesterday while out shopping I did just that at the food court - I had shrimp chevice (sp) tostada.

Also yesterday morning i walked 4 miles on the treadmill - that is a BIG thing for me cuz i hate exercise - i have been doing any where from 2 - 3 miles but yesterday did 4 miles is 1 hr & 5 min - that 16.25 min mile - 3 months ago i was doing a 25 min mile - my goal is to get to a 15 minute mile... I incease my speed my .1 - 2 every week

My motivation is to set up little challenges for myself and i make them small ones, cuz i am not about to set myself up for failure and then when i succeed - i increase the next goal.. That how i do things - little goals and just like the little train that could - i will make it up that hill..