Struggling with post op diet!

11 posts in this topic

My surgery was last Tuesday (6 days ago). I'm still on stage 3 (water, bean Soups, yogurt, and Protein shakes). At this point I'm still unable to eat more than 3-4 bites of anything without getting the chest pain as if I'm eating fast, but I know I'm not. It's becoming impossible to get the required 60g Of protein and 64 oz of water/fluids. The only way is to have 2 ENTIRE shakes (I can drink 1/4 and it takes me 45 mins) and work on Water ALL day! Ugggh. Seems like a full time job and im failing big time. Any suggestions?? Please tell me this doesn't last long🙁

2 people like this

I'm 7 days out and won't start puréed stage till Monday. I can honestly say I've gotten very little Protein in. I have to find a way to change it BUT it's super difficult because I hate the taste of Protein drinks and the Greek yogurt makes me want to throw up. sugar free popsickles mixed with Water and ice has been my go to but I need to do better

ARe you supposed to get the same Protein as I am? 60g and 64 oz of Fluid?? I don't see how people do it!

I'm 7 days out and won't start puréed stage till Monday. I can honestly say I've gotten very little Protein in. I have to find a way to change it BUT it's super difficult because I hate the taste of Protein drinks and the Greek yogurt makes me want to throw up. sugar free popsickles mixed with Water and ice has been my go to but I need to do better

I'm the same! Very discouraged today.

1 person likes this

My dr said 640z all together I think, and he said count the popsickles, and the Water and Protein all together

1 hour ago, Lizzyfromnapa said:

My surgery was last Tuesday (6 days ago). I'm still on stage 3 (water, bean Soups, yogurt, and Protein shakes). At this point I'm still unable to eat more than 3-4 bites of anything without getting the chest pain as if I'm eating fast, but I know I'm not. It's becoming impossible to get the required 60g Of protein and 64 oz of water/fluids. The only way is to have 2 ENTIRE shakes (I can drink 1/4 and it takes me 45 mins) and work on Water ALL day! Ugggh. Seems like a full time job and im failing big time. Any suggestions?? Please tell me this doesn't last long🙁

You are right. Meeting your protein and water goals is a full time job in the beginning, and it stays that way for a long time. I took 6 weeks off work after my surgery, and one of the biggest reasons I did was so that I could devote myself 100% to the protein, water, and food stages. Even at almost 6 months post-op, tracking my intake is very time consuming, but it is worth all of the effort!

Good luck!

I'm on day 5 and my second day of full fluids, aiming for 64 oz of liquids and 40 gm of Protein. Today I'll be at 50 oz liquids and 24 oz protein.

My nutritionist was very clear that she doesn't expect us to meet those goals right away. It is a target to shoot for. Don't get discouraged if you don't reach the goal at first, just work at getting closer every day.

Just keep sipping away! That's my motto :)

(I am on full fluids from days 4-17)

I am on day 5 and am on full liquids. I am definitely not reaching the Protein or Water goals yet but am getting more in each day. You are definitely not failing. Good luck!!!

It is pretty common to not get it all in from what I've read here. I am 1 month post op tomorrow an I still struggle some days.

Im nervous I dont have small enough sleeve. I've had no issues since the day after surgery when I started with Water. I can drink 4 16 oz water bottles a day plus 2 11oz premier Protein drinks. They go down so easily. I hope I have enough restriction when I move on to puree and solids.

2 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Featured Surgeons

1. Shawn Garber

Roslyn Heights, NY 11577
      800-633-8446

2. Jalil Illan

Tijuana, BC 22320
      (844) 957-3325

• Recent Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• kimmy faith

I have been "big" since i was young and have been bullied for it since middle school , honestly I am  so ready for this life change , and to be able to do things i haven't been able to do in the past. I also have pcos (poly cystic ovarian syndrome)  which causes irregular periods and problems getting pregnant I am very excited to be healthy for my future.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Thejeweledsleeve

Updates: Sorry I have not posted any updates. 
      3/26 - Surgery went excellent. I was up and down, out of the bed. Enough energy to laugh and smile and walk around. Everything was awesome. I had a better reaction then everyone in my recovery room. I found out the hard way it was because the good ass drugs they were shooting in my IV.
      3/27 - Released from recovery at 7am. I had an excellent recovery. They gave my mom instructions for me and she has been up my ass and around my corner in regards to it. I get released and we go to Home Depot and Target. Her saying is the Surgeon said you have to walk and I am going to make you walk lol. Love you mom. First night home was miserable, could not get comfortable.
      3/28 - Took a chair into my shower and sat under the warm running water. BEST IDEA EVER! I do that 3 times a day. Helps soothe the aching. Had my first dumping. Surgeon prescribed pain kills with a cruncher to be mixed and taken like a shot. I have been sipping slowly throughout the day. I tried to take the shot and immediately got sick and puked. I called and told them what happened.
      I have a breathing test tube thing and a thermometer to check my temperature 4 times a day to ensure I am not getting a fever or infection.
      3/29 - Slept way better and got more comfortable. Will try my protein shakes today. So far I am getting down 5 sips of water every 30 minutes. I have to set reminders because I cannot tell if I am thirsty. When I drink, I get up and walk around after.
      So far, just missing those lovely IV drugs. I was on cloud 92 and I miss that feeling but it could be worst.

· 2 replies
      1. Newme17

Your mom is awesome. That was good. Lol

Seems like you'll be out of the woods pretty soon though. Hang in there and welcome to the next chapter of your life. 😊

2. biginjapan

Congrats - sounds like you are surely but slowly recovering and on your way to a more improved you!

• marissahealthiernewme

I am so excited because I just finished the two test today and now it is going to get process rolling and I am so excited and ready for my new life  healthier lifestyle 
      · 0 replies
    • Newme17

Been doing a lot of reading and scaled back on the number of posts mainly because I've been doing a lot of homework about plant based diets and WLS. I'm am not sold on high protein low carb diets. Never have been and it won't be my lifestyle. With that said, I do believe I need to have a good amount of protein for certain factors in the diet and exercise. I was impressed to find a post from a few years back of a person doing plant based and losing weight just as well as any other. She doesn't have to take all the vitamins because she gets them from food. Her blood work showed it....now, that is inspiring. 
      · 4 replies
      1. biginjapan

I'm trying to add more plant-based foods into my diet, but it's been hard as I have so focused on getting protein in for the past few weeks. Also, my new belly reacts much more to various fruits and vegetables that I still have to be careful with what, and how much, I eat. The other day I had my first real feeling of fullness/needing to throw up - the amount I ate was normal, but the veggies (spinach) and fruit (a couple of strawberries) were what put me over. Definitely don't want to do (or feel) that again!

Anyway...if you find good sources on how to this the vegetarian way, I'd be interested in them!

2. Newme17

You described what I'm kind of anticipating or worried about, not being able to do most plants until my stomach is ready. I guess I'll be doing it little by little. But I know for sure , when I make my protein shakes early on, I'll be including my green bombs (nutritionist approved) so maybe my stomach will be able to handle it all when I go to solids. Here is a good list of plant sourced protein.

IMG_2374.PNG

3. biginjapan

Thanks - actually, maybe I'm doing better than I think. I've been adding ground flaxseed to protein shakes, also PB2 peanut butter powder, and have started adding beans, so that's good. I also have some recipes using lentils, I just need to start making them!

4. Newme17

Sounds like you are. 👍 Lentils are a great way to make a whole lot and freeze small containers of. I need to get the PB2.

• jax777

I have started my liquid diet again and in one day I lost one pound! yay!
      · 0 replies
  • Trending Topics

• Magazine Articles

1. Boost Your Protein with Unflavored Protein Powder

Posted in: Food & Nutrition
      Rene Norman, RD/LD
    2. Weight Loss Surgery: Be Your Own Best Advocate

Posted in: Pre-Op Support
      Alex Brecher
    3. Is Weight Loss Surgery for Me?

Posted in: Pre-Op Support