Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I started batting around the idea of surgery two years ago. I was supposed to attend a meeting and a big snow storm cancelled it. Then life fell apart. My wife broke her foot, my dad got really ill and died this past June. I wasn't emotionally ready to do this.

I am ready now. I've done all the testing and just have to pass the cotinine test March 23. From there I will be ready to have surgery. It probably won't take place till May due to scheduling and waiting on insurance.

Now it's all I can think about. Reading so much. Eating low carb and working on quitting smoking. I feel like this is my chance at the life I've always wanted. The weird thing is is that I'm the happiest I've ever been in my life so I'm scared of complications and somehow ruining my happiness. Yet, if I don't have this surgery my years of happiness could be cut short. So I'm just hoping for the best. I can't wait to be on the other side of surgery! Thanks for reading my babbling! It just feels safe here. :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I know exactly how you feel, Joanne. I too started this journey in the end of 2015... it's been a long process full of ups and downs and uncertainties. Now that I have my date it feels real in a way that is very... final and imposing LOL!

I've been doing really well lately too and also have a voice asking if I really need surgery or maybe I can just go it on my own and be fine, but man, how many friggin' times have I lost 20lbs and thought "yahoo life is going great I'm totally going to change my entire life forever!" and then gained it all back and then some and wound up depressed and disheartened? I know I'm actually pretty okay at this weight and this current lifestyle I've got going... but I'm telling myself it only takes one bad month to backslide (when my grandmother died I gained 30 lbs like it was nothing!), and if I'm doing so well already, why cut my potential short? If I feel this good now, how much more am I capable of? And what would I be denying myself if I stopped here?

I will join you in hoping for the best!

Teacup! That's exactly how I feel! I guess we would have done it by now if we could. When I "go off a diet" I go OFF! Like a bag of dove chocolate a day off!
Right. I feel like I'm sitting on all this potential and to not take this opportunity would be so dumb. I did Atkins in 2001 and got down to 148 and actually maintained it for a couple of years then my thyroid died and I lost my job and two years later I had gained nearly 100 lbs. wtf?
When is your surgery?

Just FYI it takes two months to be clean of cotinine . If you struggle you can vape as long as it is zero nic level.

I'm finding conflicting info all over the Internet. I'm not trying to cheat the system, I truly want to quit and stay quit. I hate smoking and am so looking forward to trying to live as healthy as possible.

Yeah so did I, I had to take blood test for it. I asked my doc how long he wanted me clean. he said two months and then the blood test. Blood test results came back no cotinine found and I vaped the entire time with zero nicotine. I quit exactly two months. The internet will drive you bat shit with everyone's opinion.

10 minutes ago, Carrie1122 said:

Yeah so did I, I had to take blood test for it. I asked my doc how long he wanted me clean. he said two months and then the blood test. Blood test results came back no cotinine found and I vaped the entire time with zero nicotine. I quit exactly two months. The internet will drive you bat shit with everyone's opinion.

I don't know what type of test they're going to administer on me.

Two months quit is so awesome. I have a vape. I'm going to clean it out and use zero nic juice. That's a good idea. I also bought cotinine strips on Amazon so I'll know. I can't wait to be where you are.

I bought pee strips too from Amazon.. I bought way too many. I wanted to test it this was before my end date to quit. so I quit for two weeks took the test the line was faint but it was still there so I knew I was dirty. But I wanted to see if the strips worked so I smoked took another test. That shit showed up like 3D pink paint! So I know the strips were legit.

I had my doc. Appt. approved surgery, he is like go over to lab core and get your test. I said Two months is in three days and he said if you actually quit then you will be clean. Sure enough I was. As long as there is absolutely no trace in the vape filter or replace it then u will be fine. Cotinine shows up like a lighted Christmas tree.

I also did nothing special ate, drank normal...

Just now, Carrie1122 said:

I bought pee strips too from Amazon.. I bought way too many. I wanted to test it this was before my end date to quit. so I quit for two weeks took the test the line was faint but it was still there so I knew I was dirty. But I wanted to see if the strips worked so I smoked took another test. That shit showed up like 3D pink paint! So I know the strips were legit.

I had my doc. Appt. approved surgery, he is like go over to lab core and get your test. I said Two months is in three days and he said if you actually quit then you will be clean. Sure enough I was. As long as there is absolutely no trace in the vape filter or replace it then u will be fine. Cotinine shows up like a lighted Christmas tree.

I also did nothing special ate, drank normal...

Lol! I appreciate the feedback. I was wondering if they really worked. I'll replace the filter for sure. Have you had your surgery yet?

Yes I did, in November. I just had my three month follow-up. On target 40 lb totally gone.

You will get there. The vaping help with edge and the nervous. It's not good for you but I rather have two ingredient going into my lungs than a 1,000 you get from cigs... :-)

5 minutes ago, Carrie1122 said:

Yes I did, in November. I just had my three month follow-up. On target 40 lb totally gone.

You will get there. The vaping help with edge and the nervous. It's not good for you but I rather have two ingredient going into my lungs than a 1,000 you get from cigs... :-)

Wow! Quit smoking and losing weight. That's a dream come true! Huge congrats!

I was a serious carb addict before I had surgery. It is a completely different world on the other side. It's changed my life. I am not gunna lie the day of surgery (after-wards) and I was sober enough from all the drugs. I broke down and I didn't not know what to do because my mind was like, mashed potatoes,  chicken,  Cookies, you name it and my brain wanted it. and my stomach didn't want nothing to do with it. My doc's said i am going through emotional  food withdrawal and said I am not hungry. This took about a week to get over.

My surgeon asked how I did with pre-op I said I had headaches the entire time. I said 3rd day and 5th day I gave in and had mashers and my headache went away instantly no  pills were working. I said I work in a stressful environment doc. had no problems with me cheating twice. And I only had enough to curb it and only once a day. The doc was like I knew you followed the plan because if you didn't you would of not mention headache's.

I started my research a long time ago... but did not find the bariatric doctor "for me" until November 2016. I am 5'4" and I weighed 220 pounds. I was a pack a day smoker and was addicted to carbs, sugar and Mt. Dew - and I was scared that if I didn't make some changes, I was going to die.

In December, just before Christmas, I ended up in the hospital because scar tissue from a surgery 16 years ago had adhered to my intestines. I was in the hospital 2 days and when I got out I thought - why start smoking again? I am 2 days smoke free! I still "wanted" to be doing it though, so I switched to vaping. I also was on Clear liquids for 4 days... so I thought, why go back to soda and sugary drinks? I just never had another soda since.

Then, I had my surgery on January 25th... and was in the hospital for 3 days (2 nights)... I never even thought about my ecig until I got home and unpacked my bags... so I thought, why start again when I am already 3 days vape free? And of course I had been on a pre-op liver shrinking diet for almost 2 weeks before surgery, and part of that had me ingesting something every 3 hours from 730 am - 730 pm daily... so I thought, why not try to keep doing that? I sipped Water constantly but I made sure every 3 hours from 730 - 730 I was ingesting something other than Water - Clear Liquids, full liquids, soft foods... whatever part of my journey I was on I integrated into the every 3 hours process. Right now, I am 2 weeks from a full, regular diet and I am still on soft foods - but every 3 hours I ingest something and I am not hungry in between and feel great!

I quit sodas, I quit smoking, I quit vaping and I have lost 34 pounds so far. It hasn't been super easy - but it has absolutely been worth it!!

Carrie1122 I don't drink coffee, but I do enjoy hot tea... with Splenda now instead of sugar - and the only fast food place I still go to when friends or family want to stop while I am out with them is Chick-Fil-A because they have Soup :-)