Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a little past 4 months out. My stats are:

HW-232

SW-220

CW-186

GW-140

Anyway. I've been doing ok until today. I didn't know who to talk to about this. My Facebook support groups are ok...but I really feel like I'll get better advice here. I have depression and anxiety. I had a therapy session today that left me in a bad place. We usually talk about things that upset me or what my worries are...but we ended the session with me talking about when I was abused...sexually. It was a brief talk and my therapist and I will likely discuss it next session. My issue is...right after I left her office... I sat in my car for 20 minutes then I got super emotional... and I started binge eating... I only have 5ozs of stomach but I binge ate until i was sick... and repeated this all day... what do you all do when your emotions are just all over the place and all you want to do is eat?

Sent from my SM-G928P using the BariatricPal App

First, I just want to say how very sorry I am for what happened to you and tell you how brave I think you are for sharing and for committing to therapy.

Second, as far as the binge goes, I would recommend telling your therapist what happened after your last session so that you can work together to come up with some constructive ways of handling the stress that comes from confronting painful memories. Maybe journaling, meditation, positive affirmations, yoga, or simply having the therapist make sure not to end a session on a low/stressful note before sending you back out to the world?

Keep up the good work and hang in there!

I am so sorry :(

While you aren't caught up in the whirlwind of emotion, it would be good to put a constructive outlet in place. Make a plan.

Heavy physical work helps me (I have anger issues). Look for something that you can do for a couple hours that will leave you better than you started, and no longer having the need for self sabotage.

Sitting and eating is a very passive activity that leaves you feeling worse than when you started. Something like going to the gym gives you an outlet that helps you feel better about yourself. (Look, I walked farther on the treadmill, or lifted 5 more pounds than last week).

If the gym doesn't appeal, there are so many activities... arts, crafts, puzzles, reading, volunteering...

[Hugs] You will find your way!

4 hours ago, SeaShells82 said:

First, I just want to say how very sorry I am for what happened to you and tell you how brave I think you are for sharing and for committing to therapy.

Second, as far as the binge goes, I would recommend telling your therapist what happened after your last session so that you can work together to come up with some constructive ways of handling the stress that comes from confronting painful memories. Maybe journaling, meditation, positive affirmations, yoga, or simply having the therapist make sure not to end a session on a low/stressful note before sending you back out to the world?

Keep up the good work and hang in there!

Thank you so much. I know she tried to talk about something different towards the end of the session but I think I was already feeling overwhelmed and helpless at that point. But i will definitely talk to her about what happened. I will have to try the Journaling and meditation.

Thank you again.

1 hour ago, Berry78 said:

I am so sorry :(

While you aren't caught up in the whirlwind of emotion, it would be good to put a constructive outlet in place. Make a plan.

Heavy physical work helps me (I have anger issues). Look for something that you can do for a couple hours that will leave you better than you started, and no longer having the need for self sabotage.

Sitting and eating is a very passive activity that leaves you feeling worse than when you started. Something like going to the gym gives you an outlet that helps you feel better about yourself. (Look, I walked farther on the treadmill, or lifted 5 more pounds than last week).

If the gym doesn't appeal, there are so many activities... arts, crafts, puzzles, reading, volunteering...

[Hugs] You will find your way!

Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it. I think the gym is a great idea. I love to craft too. So I can definitely get into crafting.

Thank you again.