Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Current Weight vs. Goal Weight Question & Nutritional Guidelines Post-Op

Hey!

Is everybody just picking their dream goal weight or have you actually discussed a realistic goal with your physicians? I'm asking because I feel so lost and uninformed. I've done all my pre-op testing, seen a nutritionist twice, lost nearly 20 lbs and just waiting on insurance approval. With all this said, I have received absolutely no info about anything it seems. Maybe my expectations are skewed. All I know is that the surgeon (who I met once and told me I'm a perfect candidate for bypass) told me most bypass patients lose about 100 pounds. I'm 300 pounds overweight. Should I enter 200 pounds as my goal weight even though I should and dream to be about 100-110? I just feel so discouraged by this. Part of me knows that any weight lost is awesome and that I should be so thankful for that, but at 200lbs for my height 5'1, I'll still be facing most the problems I am now.

Also, did any of you get the nutritional breakdown per meal post-op? I was just wondering if they give you a guide for fat, calorie, carb, allowance for each of your meals or do you just stop when your full. Does any have the breakdown? All I've been told is to make sure I get 60g of Protein a day. Well, I can definitely get the protein in AND everything else too. If I was regulated, it would be so much better.

Thank you all so much for reading this and hopefully adding something below!!

Goal weight is an artificial number. I think my surgeon told me that I could reach 190 pounds. I was happy with that. But in the end I dropped almost down to 140.

As far as a goal, I would shoot for the high side of normal BMI. Normal BMI 18.5-24.9. So for your height of 5 foot 1 inch that would correspond to a goal weight of around 130 pounds. The reason why I would select that as a goal is because individuals on the high side of normal live the longest. It is important to keep a little fat in your body because when you have a very, very serious illness or accident, you need that reservoir of fat to keep you alive until your body recovers.

The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

Weight loss is achieved after surgery through meal volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your Protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as Protein shakes.

This is unbelievably informative, James. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to breakdown and explain my questions. If you think of anything else to add or books you could recommend, I'd be very appreciative. Again, this has been a tremendous help! Thank you!

P.S. I just updated my stats, made a Ticker, and mentally gave myself a realistic goal and pep talk. Thank you so much!

For most Gastric Bypass patients, a weight loss of 60 - 75% of your EXCESS weight is expected.

So if your normal weight would be 130 and you weigh 301, then your expected weight loss is 119 pounds.

301 - 119 = 182 - just about what your surgeon picked for your goal weight.

Statistically, most bariatric patients don't reach 24bmi. BUT, this is absolutely under the patient's control. The surgery will knock 100lbs off, the rest is up to you! Use the easy time to make lifestyle changes that will encourage the rest to melt away.

Hi Karazona,
I bought a book, it has been awsome! Everything you need to know is in it plus very easy to read!! "The Big Book on the Gastric Bypass" by Alex Brecher
I got it from Amazon. God Bless