Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bypass recommended Not Sleeve

I went and saw my surgeon for the first visit yesterday. He was amazing. I have been looking at the sleeve. I am a type II diabetic and high cholesterol. I started at 202 and bmi 37 with 2 comorbidities. I have been an insulin for more than 3 years and struggle to lose a pound. My Dr. recommended the I do the Bypass not the sleeve because of my diabetes and how it would more likely reverse it compared to the sleeve, I am nervous about this. I am researching it now. I will have all my check off complete for the Dr and insurance on 2/2. He will be requesting approval for both then I will just need to tell him which one I want to do. Do any of you have input on this? Thank you ALL!

Don't be afraid of bypass,especially if it can reverse your diabetes.I was afraid of it initially.So I had the sleeve in 2011.Nov 22 2016 I had bypass because of severe acid reflux issues.Best decision I made.

I am also approved for both due to type 2 diabetic and reflux. I also have fibromyalgia, chronic pain and Rheumatoid Arthritis. I live a long way from Billings where we doctor. I am having my surgery in Vegas with Dr. Umbach with Blossom Bariatrics. I will recover for ten days in NV then will end up back in Big Timber MT I was set for sleeve now they suggest a bypass. I will go with what they feel is right. As a nurse of many years understand the surgeon knows best. I am nervous but prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had bypass, no problems. I think it is also pretty standard for patients with diabetes. I don't have it. I chose it because it is proven to work in the long term and I had terrible reflux with the band so I didn't want the sleeve for that reason alone.

@@Travelher when did you have your bypass did you have to travel to your surgeon? Did you have any post op problems the first 9 days? I have to travel to Vegas then I have a home about an hour away. I am staying there until post op day 9. I am then traveling to see my girl in her last home college basketball game senior night. I will be staying a week there then flying home to Montana. What do I need to take on this journey? What should I be aware of??

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@Travelher when did you have your bypass did you have to travel to your surgeon? Did you have any post op problems the first 9 days? I have to travel to Vegas then I have a home about an hour away. I am staying there until post op day 9. I am then traveling to see my girl in her last home college basketball game senior night. I will be staying a week there then flying home to Montana. What do I need to take on this journey? What should I be aware of??Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Yes, I did travel, I had a 5 hour drive. I went the night before and stayed in a hotel. My clinic had a mandatory 2 night stay and required to stay in the area for another 3 days. I did not stay...my recovery was very good and the doc said no problem to go home after being checked out. Just stipulated frequent stops to walk. My mother went with me and did the driving. That would not have been a great idea 2 days post op.

I had no issues post op. Other than one incision that was stubborn to heal. But nothing to do there, but wait. One thing to keep in mind if you are flying is that you will need to get up and walking to make sure all the extra gas they pump into you is out of your system. I think it wasn't the fact we were driving that they were ok with me leaving after 2 days as opposed to 5. You will be weak for the first couple of weeks from low calories etc, but that. Didn't stop me from going apple picking 5 days post op. Or cooking thanksgiving dinner. My recovery may not be typical though

I brought Soup mixes and Protein shakes with me. Basically anything I thought I'd need for 5 days post op...oh and a comfy dress I could pull on so I wouldn't need to fuss with clothing. You want loose comfy clothes...beware of things fitted to you waist because you don't know where your incisions will sit.

Edited by Travelher

Thanks for your input. I will be having surgery the 14th going to stay 2 nights in hotel I have an appointment on the 16 th get IV fluids and Vitamins stay overnight again then am going to my home in NV one hour drive will stay there 6-7 nights then fly to Dallas.

I started my journey adamant I was going to get the Sleeve but my surgeon felt the Bypass would be a better choice due to my BMI of 62. My co-morbities were high blood pressure, pre-diabetes, and osteoarthritis. After I finished the requirements for surgery and was ready to submit to insurance, I decided to go with the bypass. While I did not have any issues with reflux pre-op, I felt I wanted to have only 1 surgery and not be someone who down the line required a revision due to reflux, etc.

So far I have not had any issues. I recovered well and can eat all approved solid Proteins (beef, chicken, shrimp, etc)