Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Loyola program/ Newbie Questions

Hello all!!!

I am 26 (will be 27 in the spring!) and just beginning my weight loss journey. I am 5'2 and 252lbs... eek! :( I am having my surgery at Loyola Medical Center. Is there anyone out there that has had theirs at Loyola? Can you give any tips? I just submitted my paperwork and took their online seminar which is required prior to the first appointment. I am nervously waiting to hear from the office. I'm not sure which weight loss surgery I will have, so I'm reading up on everything and anything weight loss related. I do believe that it will be the sleeve or bypass as I have way too many weight related problems. At 26 I have sleep apnea, high blood pressure, asthma, anxiety, under active thyroid, PCOS and carpal tunnel. It seems that each year something new happens. :( ugh!

Now for my questions!

-what is dumping?

-how common is hair loss?

-do you have any tips?

-how long did you take off work?

-how long is the process from your first appointment to the actual surgery date?

-anything else you think I should know?

-Any other good weight loss surgery reads besides this app?

Thank you!!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had RNY gastric bypass surgery over 3 years ago.

Now for my questions!

-what is dumping? After RNY gastric bypass surgery, the part of my stomach that normally processes fats and sugars was cut away. Therefore if I ate fats and sugars, it can flow through my stomach and produce diarrhea. Also because after surgery, my stomach was significantly reduced in size, if I consume more than the size of my new stomach, I get sick and vomit the contents of my stomach over several hours. Dumping is a tool. Once you experience you do not want to repeat the experience so you become sensitive to the pretriggers.

-how common is hair loss? I did not experience any Hair loss but some people do. It is important to consume the required amount of Protein, otherwise your body will scavenge Protein from other parts of your body such as you hair. Hair loss is more common during the weight loss phase and should cease when you reach the maintenance phase.

-do you have any tips? I recommend you do three things.

1. Take a good before photograph of yourself, so that you have something to compare to after surgery. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success.

2. Walk 30 minutes each day, every day until surgery (or equivalent exercise). Walking helps the recovery process go smoothly and minimized the pain levels from surgery.

3. Wean yourself from caffeine and carbonated beverages now. After I gave up my 6 diet coke a day habit, I suffered from a week of severe withdrawal syndrome consisting of severe headaches and body aches. I was miserable. You don't want to combine the effects of caffeine withdrawal with the effects of surgery.

-how long did you take off work? I had the surgery after I retired. The amount of time off from work will depend on your physical condition and how strenuous your work is. Some people return to work after 2 weeks, but that can vary a lot.

-how long is the process from your first appointment to the actual surgery date? In my case it was about 9 or 10 months. It is driven by meeting the requirements of my health insurance company.

-anything else you think I should know? I am 68 years old. I had the surgery because my condition of being overweight was destroying my body. I had developed high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea and GERD. All those conditions were resolved shortly after surgery. These conditions went into remission and stayed there. I physically now have the stamina that I had when I was in my 30's. For example during each of the last couple years, I moved over 100,000 pounds of gravel and concrete blocks by hand for one of my home building projects.

Now for my questions!

-what is dumping?

-how common is hair loss?

-do you have any tips?

-how long did you take off work?

-how long is the process from your first appointment to the actual surgery date?

-anything else you think I should know?

-Any other good weight loss surgery reads

I'm 4.5 months out

Dumping was already covered. I've not yet seen Hair loss, but it will grow back if you do lose some . As far as other tips, I'll second cutting out caffeine and carbonation before surgery. Also, begin trying to separate your fluids from your meals. That's another hard thing to do. Also, begin eating like you'll have to post-op: small bites chewed to applesauce consistency. The more bits you can start practicing now, the easier it will be when you're dealing with recovery.

I took off two weeks from work. I wished I'd have taken 3. My first appointment was in march, surgery was in August. I was a little on the fast side because I didn't need a sleep study

As far as other reads, there's the ASMBS website.

Good luck and keep asking questions!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Hi there!!! So excited for you! Dumping happens with the bypass more often and not as much with the sleeve. Same for hair loss....the bypass helps you lose weight by shrinking your stomach and making it so you do not absorb all the calories you take in...that can cause malnutrition if you are not careful. With these surgeries you need to take all the required Vitamins to assist your body with nutrition and they can run upwards of $75 per month! But they are very very important! I took 3 weeks off work and truly needed one more week. You feel very tired for a few weeks so if you can take 4 to 6 weeks off and recover well! You will be glad you did so you can rest and spend time retraining yourself how to eat! I had my first appointment May 25, 2016 and had my surgery Dec 9, 2016. A good surgeon will make you wait all that time to work with you and make sure your body AND mind are ready!!! Exercise now at least 5 times per week....you will recover much faster and the surgery will be so much easier on you! I wish you all the best!!! Keep us posted!

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

Wow this is the first time I have read a post by someone enjoying later life. I was looking to see how it went because my age was my major concern. I am 65. I go to my 1st seminar the 25 th. Please let me know

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App