Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for January op buddies!

How strange!!!

I had to partake in a 6 month group therapy session. I went to the group session twice but after that work commitments meant I could only do private sessions - which were a bit of a waste of time and I was pretty much told they wouldnt give me the surgery (despite my GP having referred me). So nobody went into any details, it was basically advice on nutrition and for anyone who has been on so many diets as most of us, I probably knew as much about it as she did.

That was all I got. I met with the surgeon and he told me which op I was going to have. I thought I would have a sleeve but he said as I'll get one shot at this, he reckons I should have the mini bypass. Which procedure are you having?

The diet is silly... did you google the NHS one? It lets you have TWICE the Protein I'm allowed. Nobody mentioned bad breath as yet... and thankfully I'm almost at the end of that.

Can't believe that two days from now, I'll have had my insides twisted and connected in a different place... not sure I can quite get my head around that..... ugh.... x

Oh yes I've done 12 week course on diet and nutrition, 12 week course on physio and exercise also seminars about the different surgeries available. Then they hold a support group once a month and it was compulsory that you went at least twice . I'm the same as you, I'm having my op in the private hospital on site at the local nhs hospital, and I've noticed that the diet as a lot more strict than overs. 800cals a day has been miserable and makes your breath smell lol

Sent from my SM-G800F using the BariatricPal App

I'm glad I had the opportunity to meet a lot of different ppl but at the time it felt like a pain in the backside. I've sen other pre op diets and mine does seem strict. Mine is a phoenix health one.

Are you prepping food on advance for when you are home ?

There are quite a few of us January patients then!

How are you feeling about it?

Mine is January 23rd

I am not sure how I feel. It came so sudden. A month ago I thought I was just having a little reflux and they would put me on a higher dose of meds. Part of me is excited at the prospect of losing more weight. The other side is scared to death of the RNY

I am totally with you there. In a way I would LOVE to be a more normal weight. The other way is an operation that could have side effects... sigh...

How strange!!!

I had to partake in a 6 month group therapy session. I went to the group session twice but after that work commitments meant I could only do private sessions - which were a bit of a waste of time and I was pretty much told they wouldnt give me the surgery (despite my GP having referred me). So nobody went into any details, it was basically advice on nutrition and for anyone who has been on so many diets as most of us, I probably knew as much about it as she did.

That was all I got. I met with the surgeon and he told me which op I was going to have. I thought I would have a sleeve but he said as I'll get one shot at this, he reckons I should have the mini bypass. Which procedure are you having?

The diet is silly... did you google the NHS one? It lets you have TWICE the Protein I'm allowed. Nobody mentioned bad breath as yet... and thankfully I'm almost at the end of that.

Can't believe that two days from now, I'll have had my insides twisted and connected in a different place... not sure I can quite get my head around that..... ugh.... x

Oh yes I've done 12 week course on diet and nutrition, 12 week course on physio and exercise also seminars about the different surgeries available. Then they hold a support group once a month and it was compulsory that you went at least twice . I'm the same as you, I'm having my op in the private hospital on site at the local nhs hospital, and I've noticed that the diet as a lot more strict than overs. 800cals a day has been miserable and makes your breath smell lol

I'm glad I had the opportunity to meet a lot of different ppl but at the time it felt like a pain in the backside. I've sen other pre op diets and mine does seem strict. Mine is a phoenix health one.

Are you prepping food on advance for when you are home ?

I'm with Spire Healthcare. It's similar to the NHS one but instead of 4 ounces of meat making a portion, it's only 2 ounces. And I so crave Protein. I can give up everything else but not protein!

I have taken salads to work but in all honesty, this is totally the wrong season to be eating salads and it's leaving me extremely unsatisfied. I usually eat Soup at work but I cant use the usual fresh Soups from the supermarket (as they all seem to contain carrots or some kind of root veg which I am not allowed) and with a job and two kids (single mum) I just honestly dont have the time nor energy to be cooking Soups from scratch...

I have made up some recipes - cooked sweet peppers with onion and garlic and a dash of balsamic vinegar to make a pepperona which was lovely. Also just onion, courgette and mushrooms... with one small bacon medallion and an egg mixed in at the end is surprisingly nice and satisfying (despite it sounding gross). Or using two eggs, I can make a small fritatta with 'allowed' veggies. Would have loved to find a quick and easy veg curry but the one I tried wasnt very nice... basically the diet sucks! They gave me some pages with recipe ideas if you'd like those?

My surgery is also on Jan 5th! I too am quite nervous, but I keep telling myself how worth it this surgery will be when I start seeing results and feeling healthier.

My 3-week pre-op diet got easier every day, but it was VERY hard at first!

We are starting the new year off on the right foot! :)

Woohoo you're my op twin!

Interesting that most of us are on different diet schedules. I know my hospital says 2 weeks for everyone.

Which procedure are you having done?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm having RNY! I hope everything goes smoothly.

Thank you! I hope so too! I shall give you the low down (hopefully without any horror stories!) ;)

There is a Facebook group called January 2017 Sleevers. I really like it! Really nice people and helpful info!

Mine is January 24th.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

Are you excited or worried?

Submitted to insurance today so hopefully I will be a Jan OP buddy. Fingers crossed for a quick approval.

Fingers crossed for you! Let us know once you have a date! :)

There is a Facebook group called January 2017 Sleevers. I really like it! Really nice people and helpful info!

Sounds great - I'm not going for a sleeve though. Will still have a look if I can find the group - thank you!

What's a mini bypass bluey ?

It's a bypass surgery that works a bit different. To be honest, it's probably easier to just google it. Basically the stomach will be turned into two parts. The big part continues to produce stomach juices etc and is still attached to the gut as previously but no food goes into it. The new partition, is where the food goes, is then attached to the gut further down. So basically the main difference is that there is only one new connection to the gut, hence it is a shorter surgery and less risks. And it is fully reversible - which I am not sure a RNY bypass is? It is however not suitable for people with certain conditions.

@@bluey I to am having surgery on the 12th of this month, I live in Southern California

@@bluey I to am having surgery on the 12th of this month, I live in Southern California

How are you feeling about having surgery?

My surgery is tomorrow, and I am a ball of nerves. I'm considered low risk, so I'm really hoping everything goes well and there are no complications! I've got to finish packing my hospital bag tonight. I can't believe it's here!

How is everyone doing?

Mine is January 23rd. My pre-op appointment is tomorrow., I'm excited but nervous.