Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long to feel pains near incisions? (I am 3 wks post op gastric bypass)

I love seeing that so many people are pain free so soon. However, it makes me worried about my continued intermittent pain. I had gastric bypass surgery on Dec. 5, 2016 and it went well. I could drink all my Water fairly easily early on, can swallow my meds, even get in all my Protein. However, I still have pain in my abdomen that at times can be very sharp -- like getting up at an angle, stretching, standing up straight, twisting (even slightly), and even when I yelled loudly to get my dog out of harm's way. My incisions look great. I went off pain pills within 3-4 days. No fever. So, I feel like I should be okay, but the pain can be pretty significant at times. Has anyone experienced this in their normal successful recovery process? Would love to know. (And yes, I will ask my surgeon after the holiday week -- or if the pain increases.)

Edited by YankeeBizChick

I had my bypass done almost a month ago. I was good until last week. Started having a soreness on my right side. Progressively has gotten worse. Feels like I'm ripping stitches sometimes doing same things as u mentioned. I saw my doc today and she said it's muscle pain. Gave me muscle relaxers. Hope they work cause it hurts so bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using the BariatricPal App

@@Shellie79 -- yes, "ripping stitches" is what it feels like. I am sorry you are also experiencing this issue and I hope the muscle relaxers work for you. It does help to know that at least one person who is on the road to a successful recovery is experiencing hese pains. I keep reading posts from people who seem to be 100% after 3-4 days. It does make you worry when you feel like the only one with these types of pains 3+ weeks later. Thanks for your reply and feel better soon!

YankeeBizChick,

You didn't mention which side your pain is but if it is on your left side and you had your surgery Laparoscopically and it is on your left side, I was told by my Surgeon that they put the big equipment thru that incision. and they said that some people have so much pain with it that they have to go in for a shot of Lidocaine. I was feeling so good and then one morning when I went to get out of bed the pain was BAD. I thought I had torn something. So the pain can be pretty bad!! If it keeps on call your Dr they may have something to help.

Shedo82773 - yes, the top left side is exactly where it is. (And yes, it was laparoscopic). My surgeon mentioned the day after surgery that that was the spot where he did the most work. Your reply makes a lot of sense and makes me feel better. I know I can reach out to him with this question, but he is out for the holiday and I don't want to bother him needlessly. All other indicators are good except for that sharp pain in that particular incision. Thank you so much!

I'm 3 months out and I still get irritation of my scar above my belly button. It was the last to heal and tends to be the one that clothe rub against or I lean on or something.

My surgery was easy not a lot of pain but I did have some pain at odd out of the blue times. Especially the low left one.

Sent from my 5054N using the BariatricPal App

I'm 3 months out and I still get irritation of my scar above my belly button. It was the last to heal and tends to be the one that clothe rub against or I lean on or something.

That's good to know (yet sorry to hear that still happens.) thanks, TravelHer!

My surgery was easy not a lot of pain but I did have some pain at odd out of the blue times. Especially the low left one.

Sent from my 5054N using the BariatricPal App

This is helpful feedback. Thanks!