Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tips to minimize saggy skin before/after WLS

First, let me preface this by saying that this post is only meant for positive tips, suggestions, and encouragement for those who are seriously interested in helping each other come up with ideas that is a concern on everyone's mind. It is not meant to be a post for negativity or criticism. I'm not trying to offend anyone. I just don't arguments about whether we should or should not worry about saggy skin.

So, if I'm being honest with everyone, like many of you, I worry about how my skin is going to look after surgery. I know my numbers are going to look better after surgery, but what I worry about most is the skin. For myself, being in the health field, I know what kind of health problems can come from extra skin, such as sores, infection, odors. Whatever your concern for not wanting extra skin, it's a good reason.

Knowing there is going to be some extra skin afterward, I have been doing some research on what can be done BEFORE surgery to help MINIMIZE saggy skin after surgery. Here is what I found so far...

Strength Training: can build muscles that will help fill the void where the fat used to be.

Drinking water: will help make skin build more elasticity to shrink back (somewhat) with time.

Biotin: taking 3000 MG daily helps with hair, skin, and nails.

I mentioned these to my Dietician and she agreed with me on all these. If anyone has anything extra to add or has tried any of these, please feel free to add or correct.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

Your skin is an organ, and like every organ is requires certain nutrients to flourish and maintain health.

Dietary fat is an essential component to maintaining healthy skin. Saturated fats especially.

My mom has a cousin who has followed the low fat no saturated fat mantra for many years. My mom, a pharmacist, never bought into that craze and has always consumed red meats and real butter (she told us margarine has more chemicals than paint growing up).

They are almost the same age, and both quite slim in their 60s. The huge difference is that my mom has smooth skin, tans easily and almost no wrinkles. Her cousin is very pale and has tissue paper like skin, and is quite wrinkly. My mom looks 20 years younger.

Very much agree with Hammer_Down. Natural fats such as in butter and full fat milk are very important to maintain skin health and elasticity. Just have them in reasonable quantities.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using the BariatricPal App

I could never cut dairy or if diet either. Going through nursing school right now and we just learned that Proteins, lipids (yes, fats!) and carbs are what keeps or bodies running. These diets, such as Atkins, which I have tried, really are not good for the body.

I could never cut dairy or if diet either. Going through nursing school right now and we just learned that Proteins, lipids (yes, fats!) and carbs are what keeps or bodies running. These diets, such as Atkins, which I have tried, really are not good for the body.

I'm curious about your statement at the end about Atkins not being healthy for the body? The Atkins plan is a high fat, moderate Protein and low carb diet - which is similar to what many WLS patients follow.

Eating low carb diets have been shown to improve cardiovascular health, regulate blood sugar and insulin in diabetics and non diabetics, promote weight loss and the list goes on.

Fats are essential for health. Protein is essential for health. Did you know that your liver produces 280g of glucose (carbs) per day? Or that your lover also has the ability to create glucose out of excess protein (gluconeogensis)? Eating carbs is absolutely not required, not even a minimal amount. Your body is able to produce all the glucose it needs from or cellular and brain function without ever eating any sugar.

Carbs are essential for health too. They are the fuel that keeps the body going, but when you severely limit carbohydrates, you restrict readily available energy. This can result in fatigue, weakness, dizziness and headaches. The symptoms are more severe for those with an active lifestyle or regular exercise routine. The primary cause is the lack of glucose to fuel your muscles -- the fatigue, weakness, dizziness and headaches worsen the lower your energy stores become.

But I'm confused on how your replies to my original post is relevant? I looking for people who wanted to talk about how to minimize saggy skin for after surgery. Does your original about butter and milk help with that?

I do a lot of heavy lifting for my business, but I am supplementing that with weights at the gym. Hopefully that will take care of arms and chest issues for me. I don't know what I will do about my Dunlap's Disease (my belly done lapped over my belt) but I am hoping a regimen of sit ups will help. I start every morning by doing at least one. :P And as has already been mentioned, I am not one buying into the low low fat stuff. I am concentrating on low carbs, lots of Protein, and hang the fat.

But I'm confused on how your replies to my original post is relevant? I looking for people who wanted to talk about how to minimize saggy skin for after surgery. Does your original about butter and milk help with that?

I'm not trying to be rude in my question. I'm really curious if it is. I haven't read anything about that, but that would be great to know! I'm an avid milk drinker, so I wonder if it matters how much percent also.

I do a lot of heavy lifting for my business, but I am supplementing that with weights at the gym. Hopefully that will take care of arms and chest issues for me. I don't know what I will do about my Dunlap's Disease (my belly done lapped over my belt) but I am hoping a regimen of sit ups will help. I start every morning by doing at least one. And as has already been mentioned, I am not one buying into the low low fat stuff. I am concentrating on low carbs, lots of Protein, and hang the fat.

Lots of protein! I bet that is another key component that will help keep our build muscle.

I was sleeved on 10/25. I'm trying dry brushing. I can't say yet whether it will work or not, but it does feel invigorating before my morning shower. You use a dry body brush and gently brush toward your heart all over your body. It is supposed to increase blood flow to the skin as well as stimulate your lymphatic system releasing toxins. The brushes can be found at Wal-Mart or CVS. There are YouTube videos also. I an also taking Biotin.

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App

Lots of protein! I bet that is another key component that will help keep our build muscle.

It certainly is a necessary component for keeping muscle. If you don't hit your Protein goals, you start consuming muscle mass to fuel your body. I do not want to turn into some stick figure with no muscles left. So, lots of Protein and lots of physical exertion. If I stay flabby, well I am getting old, and it only matters to me and the Mrs. And she loves me anyway.

Thanks for the tips. I think my biggest issue is going to be my belly. I am going to start strength training now and look into Biotin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the BariatricPal App

Okay, I've also just read that using a lotion that had some type of Cocoa butter in it cab help keep moisture in your skin, which will help with moisturizing and making the skin a little more elastic. I'm not sure if there is a recommended brand, but I'm going to look into that as well. I'm willing to do anything now that can help even a little bit.

Thanks for the tips. I think my biggest issue is going to be my belly. I am going to start strength training now and look into Biotin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the BariatricPal App

Yay! Good for you! You can do it! My husband and I are going to start going back to the gym also, probably starting next weekend (after my finals are done). We'll start a routine of strength training and some cardio (swimming, low impact, but great resistance). I bought some Biotin and will start that also. Good luck to both of us!