Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric sleeve saved me

Hey all my name is Melissa and I am 20 days post op. I was sleeved on 10/5/16. I started my journey to the surgery 3 years ago. I went to two surgeons did the whole work up and chickened out. This time it was different. I am older and my daughter asked me can I lose weight to go on a bike ride with her. I knew I needed to do something. I am only 20 days post op but the sleeve literally saved my life. I am a nurse and I am amazing at ignoring all of my symptoms. I was excited when in April I went to my current surgeon and he was like really high BMI with no Comorbidities. They just wanted me to start on the work ups and try to lose weight. I neglected to tell them that I was falling at work, could barely see it of my right eye and turns out the diabetes that I thought I was getting I didn't have. A month in I developed right sided weakness that my doctor noted and she said you are going to need a neurological clearance. Well she really said I'm gonna call 9-1-1. I of course refused. I kind of had an inkling what was wrong and I knew it wasn't a stroke. I wanted the surgery so I knew that I didn't have a choice and I had to go see a neurologist. I made the appointment but I had an expressive aphasia episode and had to go to the ED and was admitted. I was not surprised after the MRI that I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. You see I kind of already knew. I kind of already knew more than a year ago just didn't want an official diagnosis. The gastric sleeve saved me simply because without it I would had continued to relapse and remit but ignore it. Today the MS is under control. I had a small relapse after surgery by its getting better. This VSG is changing my life in more ways than one. I can't wait to continue to see the changes.

HW 425 SW 377 VSG 10/5/16

Wow. What a story. I am sorry you're having to deal with this, but thank you for sharing.

Nurses do make awful patients. My sister the RN ignored a (benign) tumor until it nearly killed her. Mom found her unconscious in a pool of blood. It must be a nurse thing ????

Take care of yourself and keep is updated.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App