Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've had so many ups and down these past four months! I started at 340 lbs. I'm down to 251 lbs. As much as I have regretted having this surgery done, it has saved my life. I'm 22 years old and I was going down a road I don't think I would have stopped if I didn't have this surgery. I've always been a bigger girl, but 340lbs is and will be my biggest and i am never going to go back to it.

It's the hardest thing I have ever done. This surgery has impacted me emotionally so much, I've been having a rollercoaster of emotions every day. I am so incredibly proud of myself though, that I am tearing up! Haha. It's amazing how many things I've noticed. I'm actually wearing jeans! Jeans!! Size 16!! I went from a 22 to a 16 in just 4 months. It's insane.

I was watching a show called 'My 600 lb life' today and I just felt so much with what the woman was saying. She was saying that sugar was like heroin.. and food is such a comfort in her life. That's how it was for me. I struggle with depression and as I got heavier I got more depressed so food was always my comfort. It's been so rough, but it will be worth it. It has been so far but it has not been easy. Overeating is a sickness and there are times I wish I could eat like I used to, and that scares me so much. I don't want to go into a spiral again and gain weight back. I've been in therapy but I don't know what else would work for me. What are some things that help y'all with not overeating?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@caseycat7, congratulations on doing so well with losing.

The obvious thing that comes to mind is antidepressants. If you don't have medication, would you consider it?

My take on 'comfort' eating is that it has nothing to do with comfort, but everything t do with eating one's self into numbness, a stupor. Not only that, but it adds calories and pounds and merely puts the bad feelings on the back burner for a short time. They always reignite.

To avoid overeating, almost any activity helps -- rearranging a closet, knitting, singing, dancing, drawing/scribbling/painting/coloring, writing, reading, doing dishes and on and on. Singing and dancing really do something not only emotional, but physical, too. I suspect it's got to do with oxygen -- taking in more than we do if we're just sitting. And they just feel so damned good. As I wrote to someone in a post a day or two ago, whatever it is that makes you feel vital and creative and part of the world (even if you're home alone) makes a world of difference. Use the pride you feel as energy to doing other worthwhile things. "This feels great. If I do x-y-z too, things will feel even greater." Now that you know you can do something hard, you're just about ready for anything. If you feel hesitant, reread your message and see that you can do "the hardest thing..."

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

I'm just starting out with my journey I don't even have a surgery date I have so many pre op appointments.

Listen I'm 58 I should of done this 15 years ago before my sleep apnea and my diabetes. You were smart to do it now while your young. My brain needs a gastric sleeve as well as my stomach. So that's why I will continue going to a therapist and meetings to keep your brain in step with our stomach lol I'm learning here everyday and the wealth of knowledge on this forum is awesome.

I think women get more emotional than men with that said I'm the last person that would ever go for weight loss surgery but it took me this long to realize this is a disease and has to be treated as such. I try to envision myself thin and healthy again and buy clothes from a regular store and not the Big and tall shop. Keep your eye on the prize kiddo good look

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by BigJohn58

I love that you made such a huge and healthy decision at 22! You have so much courage and strength. I am only 4 weeks post op so I only know of some of the struggle. Your mind and body has been taught to use food in a way to cope with whatever life has for you. You now have an amazing tool to fight back and regain control over your life. You can do it and you will. Seek some therapy and learn to love who you are and the path you have chosen. ...22...wow...you have many, many memories to make in your future as the person you you have always wanted to become.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App