Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need advice on my post op diet

Hi all

I'm due to be sleeved in 3 days and I wanted to ask everyone's opinion on my post op diet given to me by my nutritionist.

Her booklet says to go straight onto purées once I leave the hospital (from day 3). Eg of food is "half a cup of puréed meat and puréed veg or scrambled eggs".

I know we should follow our teams advice but quite frankly this scares the crap out of me. My sister is sleeved so I've seen her journey, and the amount of posts I've read here about people having trouble with just liquid, I'm not sure I should be going straight to purée.

I also haven't been given a daily Protein goal. Just 1.5 L of Water a day. (I'm Australian)

Any advice or stories from those in a similar boat very appreciated.

Edit: Sorry I've posted this in 2 threads and I can't figure out how to delete one.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Nikkinee

If I were you I would try it, but in very small amounts. Do not try a half a cup! Start with less than a quarter cup and start with things that are easily digestible (yogurt, cottage cheese, fish) do not start with things that are hard to digest like vegetables!

If it gives you trouble, switch to full liquids for a week and then try again.

Good luck!

That would scare me too! But people always advise to follow your dr orders my diet said Clear Liquids first week- then other liquids then anything---- so I tried real food two weeks after surgery and boy was that a mistake- I immediately went back to liquids for an extra week.

I guess puréed meats are kind of liquid but yuck . Hahaha

It is ok to ask your medical team why the diet is so aggressive? In a nice non conformational way of course. That can't hurt. Don't get me wrong I don't think purees will hurt you. But be honest and tell them it makes you a bit nervous. Just ask why you are not doing Clear Liquids, full liquid, purée, soft foods, progression. They may have a really great answer that makes you feel better. Ask what your go toos are if the purees don't work for you.

It looks fine to me - my program was purees and soft Proteins, along with liquids of course, from the hospital on out. I was served things like yogurt and scrambled eggs (along with pureed lettuce - ewwww!) in the hospital. The basic rule was to try new foods one at a time to test for tolerance, and if you had any problems with that one, try it again in a couple of weeks. This is from a program with over twenty years of experience with the sleeve, so I had little problem questioning their experience on this. Things like Protein shakes are still a staple initially to ensure adequate Protein intake, but their preference is to move away from them as tolerances permit - their general finding has been that patients tend to do better as they move toward more real food. I have found this to be a fairly common practice amongst the more experienced programs (most particularly the DS oriented practices that have more sleeve experience than the average bariatric practice.)

The main reason we see most programs being more conservative and going with liquids, sometimes for weeks on end, is that they are transitioning their experience from bypasses to the sleeve and they haven't gained enough experience and confidence in the sleeve yet. We are seeing more programs advance their progression schedules as time progresses and their experience builds.

How well you will handle heavier liquids into purees and beyond is heavily dependent upon how much inflammation you experience in your stomach - it may be minimal which will allow things to move through relatively easily or it may be significant where liquids have a hard time passing. There is no real way to know ahead of time where you will stand in this spectrum. Take things slowly and try small amounts of new things while sticking with the tried and true Protein drinks for the basic needs at first.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply. And for the great advice. I think it'll just have to be a bit of trial and error. And I will speak with my surgeon in a few days and see what he says.

We started purée on day 7 but 5-6 meals of 1/4-1/3 cup per meal. I had no problem tolerating the purée. Good luck.