Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Here we go!!! I have BCBS Federal and they cover WLS, great! What's not so great, I have taken so many test with my Bariatric office that I'm ready to pull my hair out and scream to the top of my lungs. I can't decide if they are being thorough or a blood sucking leech trying to suck out all the money they can.

First there was my first visit with the surgeon. $40 copay rt? Wrong!!!! $40 for the Bariatric center and $40 to his surgical office! that makes absolutely no sense. Then I had my psych eval ($30) who sent back I needed another evaluation... 2nd psych eval with another Dr. ($60) he's says ur fine, I don't see any issues, why were u sent to me ok. Let's keep moving... not 1 but 2 sleep studies that results were the same (2x150) my PCP and my hematologist wanted me to come back to the office to write my clearance. Now let me just say I had just seen them a month ago (30+40) I go in the office and they are like so u want to have wls? Yes muthaf***er!!!!! Writes clearance. I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have been scheduled for my final test, EGD and pulmonary fx and chest X-ray. I knew that I would have costs to pay before hand. But I feel like some were not needed and i was getting the shaft over $300 worth of shaft. Whew.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

health insurance. can't live with it, can't live without it! :blink:

I also have BCBS Federal. but all I can tell you is it is all worth it!

I also have blue cross blue shield so I had to pay all the same copays you did. Plus, and this sucked, a 300 program fee to my bariatric office. I was super bummed parting with that $300 but I guess it's worth it!

@@sumochik omg $300!!! I don't wanna sound like a brat I know we are blessed to have insurance that covers the procedure but daaaaaang!

We paid $500 each ($1,000 total), out of pocket. Would do it again.

I'm sure on the other side I'll have different thoughts, but on the front end I'm like wt* @

Thanks y'all for responding it's making me calm down a little.

I know it s not easy, especially for younger single women and young parents. But this reminds me of an acquaintance, who told me she and her husband borrowed $25,000 to finance his weight loss surgery. As I was wide eyed, she said it is worth the price for my children to have their daddy around a long time. He was very obese, and it made me really think how much I agreed with her. That was before I knew about the Mexico surgeries, or I would have recommended.

@ WOW!!! That put a lot into perspective. Thank you!!! Yes it's very hard as a single mom, I'd fork over a extra three hundred anyday over 25,000

Edited by nickisleeve

In my situation, I am hitting the out-of-pocket maximum for my insurance this year. So as I was meeting all of the insurance requirements pre-op (nutritionist, psych eval, chest x-ray, EKG, 6 diet visits, clearance visit and labs with my PCP, etc.) I knew that all of that cost would come off the final amount I would have to pay for the hospital, surgeon, and anesthesiologist.

@ WOW!!! That put a lot into perspective. Thank you!!! Yes it's very hard as a single mom, I'd fork over a extra three hundred anyday over 25,000Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The ultimate sacrifice for her children and husband. I applaud her because they were a struggling couple in little old Callahan, Florida.

Lucky you @missvee. I have to pay copay a and pay my surgeon a separate fee and pay the hospital a fee. I'm opting for 1 night stay I think. Cuz two would be about 400

I spent $666 a month for five months on my own policy to pay for WLS -- only to have the dr postpone me 2x and delay it four months! Four months of $666 needlessly paid because they couldn't get their act together! Uhhh!

Post sleeve -- worth it!

It's all about CYA, Cover Your A**, from the Drs and hospitals point of view.