Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having Second Thoughts...

My RNY is scheduled for Oct 3rd and I'm beginning to second guess my decision after reading so many posts!! YIKES!! I'm most worried about the possible post-op pain and whether or not I can get in all of the nutrients and fluids that is required. If any of you can give me some advice, I'd appreciate it!

Sent from my SM-N900V using the BariatricPal App

Worrying is normal, especially during this time right before surgery. But ask yourself these things: why did you go through all of this in the first place? What are the reasons you even began this journey? Do these reasons still exist? Is it worth dealing with possible complications/difficulties for the chance to lose weight and be healthy/happy?

The reality is, if you're anything like the rest of us here (and I suspect you are. You're here for a reason), then you've tried and failed before, probably many times. You know what you want, and you know how to get there. Of course this process is scary. It would be silly not to contemplate the very real issues that could arise. Might you have trouble in the beginning? Yes, you probably will. Might it be painful right after surgery for a week or two? Yep. It definitely will. But are you willing to deal with a short period of pain and discomfort for many years of health and life that would not exist without this surgery? Only you can answer that.

In the end, this is a huge, terrifying, and sometimes horrible process. You're probably going to have crappy experiences with food/drink, gas, weird metabolic and hormonal changes that make you a little crazy, maybe even some deficiencies that you're going to need to work at to fix. Maybe even some of your "friends" and loved ones will act strangely towards you as you change and become closer to society's expectations of beauty and normalcy. But you're also going to have an entire new life, and entire new you. You're going to have times when you're so overwhelmed by the amazing changes you'll be going through that you'll just break down in tears out of pure joy and disbelief. If you do this, understand that as monumentally difficult as this is going to be, it's going to be a thousand times better than where you are. In a year, when you're completely healed and living your new life (probably loving the way you feel and look), these fears will seem silly to you. You'll look back at this and realize that everything has been worth it and that you'd do it again in a heartbeat.

By the way! I'm a little over 13 months out and I've lost almost 200 since surgery and over 250 overall. I went from a size 34 jeans to a size 10/12 jeans. I followed the plan obsessively, and as such, have not suffered any dumping or Vitamin deficiencies. My one-year check up last month proved I am perfectly healthy. Now that I am healed and have entered maintenance, I've added some good carbs back into my diet. I can even treat myself with a bite or two of something yummy and naughty (i.e. my friend's birthday cake) and then move on with my life. My relationship with food is now healthy and normal, something I never really believed I would ever experience. I feel... normal. Yup... I would do this all over again a million times if it would get me here every time.

Only you can choose, but it seems to me that you already know what to do and why you're doing it. Don't let your fears conquer you. I wish you nothing but the best of luck and health moving forward. :)

Worrying is normal, especially during this time right before surgery. But ask yourself these things: why did you go through all of this in the first place? What are the reasons you even began this journey? Do these reasons still exist? Is it worth dealing with possible complications/difficulties for the chance to lose weight and be healthy/happy?

The reality is, if you're anything like the rest of us here (and I suspect you are. You're here for a reason), then you've tried and failed before, probably many times. You know what you want, and you know how to get there. Of course this process is scary. It would be silly not to contemplate the very real issues that could arise. Might you have trouble in the beginning? Yes, you probably will. Might it be painful right after surgery for a week or two? Yep. It definitely will. But are you willing to deal with a short period of pain and discomfort for many years of health and life that would not exist without this surgery? Only you can answer that.

In the end, this is a huge, terrifying, and sometimes horrible process. You're probably going to have crappy experiences with food/drink, gas, weird metabolic and hormonal changes that make you a little crazy, maybe even some deficiencies that you're going to need to work at to fix. Maybe even some of your "friends" and loved ones will act strangely towards you as you change and become closer to society's expectations of beauty and normalcy. But you're also going to have an entire new life, and entire new you. You're going to have times when you're so overwhelmed by the amazing changes you'll be going through that you'll just break down in tears out of pure joy and disbelief. If you do this, understand that as monumentally difficult as this is going to be, it's going to be a thousand times better than where you are. In a year, when you're completely healed and living your new life (probably loving the way you feel and look), these fears will seem silly to you. You'll look back at this and realize that everything has been worth it and that you'd do it again in a heartbeat.

By the way! I'm a little over 13 months out and I've lost almost 200 since surgery and over 250 overall. I went from a size 34 jeans to a size 10/12 jeans. I followed the plan obsessively, and as such, have not suffered any dumping or Vitamin deficiencies. My one-year check up last month proved I am perfectly healthy. Now that I am healed and have entered maintenance, I've added some good carbs back into my diet. I can even treat myself with a bite or two of something yummy and naughty (i.e. my friend's birthday cake) and then move on with my life. My relationship with food is now healthy and normal, something I never really believed I would ever experience. I feel... normal. Yup... I would do this all over again a million times if it would get me here every time.

Only you can choose, but it seems to me that you already know what to do and why you're doing it. Don't let your fears conquer you. I wish you nothing but the best of luck and health moving forward. :)

Wow. Your words are so encouraging! I really appreciate the insight and support. I think it's just getting so real and it's scarier now more than ever. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. You are an insipration!

Hi Just read your comment and you just spoke to me!! I am worried about post op pain too but hey I am looking at things now I am in pain everyday, every step I take so a few days of discomfort is going to be worth it, My surgery date is 10/14 I already started to do the pre op diet on my own just to get a head start and to see how I can cope with stress and head hunger so far so good. . I know I can do this and G8rg you can do it too. I will be praying for you and a safe and speedy recovery, keep us posted on how it goes.

Hi Just read your comment and you just spoke to me!! I am worried about post op pain too but hey I am looking at things now I am in pain everyday, every step I take so a few days of discomfort is going to be worth it, My surgery date is 10/14 I already started to do the pre op diet on my own just to get a head start and to see how I can cope with stress and head hunger so far so good. . I know I can do this and G8rg you can do it too. I will be praying for you and a safe and speedy recovery, keep us posted on how it goes.

Thank you so much for the encouragement!

I'm Oct 3 too and yesterday I was having some second thoughts but today I am back on track with my excitement for the surgery and what the future holds! I actually am not worried about pain (I've had 3 c-sections and dealt with all fine). But I was thinking yesterday maybe I could do this myself, which I know isn't true. Happy to be a surgery buddy since we are the same day!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Second guessing is very normal. Trust me all the information is a lot to take in and sounds scary but it really isn't . Take one day at a time . As far as surgery pain, I really didn't have any pain. Just a mild discomfort and even that wasn't much. You will do fine. Talk to yourself and tell yourself why you wanted to do this. What do you see for yourself when you no longer have the extra weight . You can do this!

I'm Oct 3 too and yesterday I was having some second thoughts but today I am back on track with my excitement for the surgery and what the future holds! I actually am not worried about pain (I've had 3 c-sections and dealt with all fine). But I was thinking yesterday maybe I could do this myself, which I know isn't true. Happy to be a surgery buddy since we are the same day!

That would be awesome! Only 2 people know I'm having this done as I didn't want to be under everyone's magnifying glass so I'd love to have a buddy!

Second guessing is very normal. Trust me all the information is a lot to take in and sounds scary but it really isn't . Take one day at a time . As far as surgery pain, I really didn't have any pain. Just a mild discomfort and even that wasn't much. You will do fine. Talk to yourself and tell yourself why you wanted to do this. What do you see for yourself when you no longer have the extra weight . You can do this!

That you so much for the encouragment! You put my mind more at easy!

just so you know, I had no pain. My abs were sore so it was a bit challenging to go from lying down to sitting or sitting to standing, etc, the first week or so, but if I just laid there (or sat there), I had no pain at all. I was very surprised!

P.S. getting in all your vitamins/nutrients becomes second nature after the first few weeks. I'm pretty much on auto-pilot at this point