Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DEEP, DEEP HUNGER

I'm about 2.5 weeks out from surgery and I have felt hunger all along except for maybe the first couple of days.

Deep, gnawing in my soul hunger. I drank my Soup for dinner. I felt satisfied. I took my Antacid. I am drinking my Water. I try to tell myself it's in my head, but oh how I feel it in the very core of my being. (This is turning out to be quite dramatic, isn't it?) ;)

I had a single size unsweetened apple sauce, forced down about half a SF cherry Jello cup and drank a nice warm mug of morrocan mint herbal tea in order to curb this empty feeling deep within me.

Then I found my husband's sugar free gum and started chewing that.

Is this REALLY head hunger? Is it possible there is such a disconnect between my mind and body after years of mindless snacking and eating whatever I wanted, when I wanted and how much I wanted?

Will it ever go away? I feel WAY hungrier now than I did before (granted, I used to stuff myself way past the point of satiety on a regular basis).

Does anyone experience this and what do you to do to distract yourself from the deep, growling hunger inside? I need some good tricks or this is NEVER gonna work for me.

I am still pre-op, so take from this what you will, but are you getting enough Water? I have discovered that usually when I feel that deep, from the soles of my feet type of "hunger" that I am really just getting dehydrated. In any case, I hope you find some answers!

Thanks for your reply!

I don't get as much Water as I should. I'm having a tough time with that and the Protein shakes. Sometimes I would rather just skip the Protein shake all together but that's no good because my body will go into starvation mode and start storing fat, slowing any weight loss.

I guess I just didn't expect so much hunger. I thought most of the hunger hormone was removed with the excess part of my stomach. ??? I'm surprised is really what it is.

Best of luck on your upcoming WLS!

I'm about 2.5 weeks out from surgery and I have felt hunger all along except for maybe the first couple of days.

Deep, gnawing in my soul hunger. I drank my Soup for dinner. I felt satisfied. I took my Antacid. I am drinking my Water. I try to tell myself it's in my head, but oh how I feel it in the very core of my being. (This is turning out to be quite dramatic, isn't it?) ;)

I had a single size unsweetened apple sauce, forced down about half a SF cherry Jello cup and drank a nice warm mug of morrocan mint herbal tea in order to curb this empty feeling deep within me.

Is this REALLY head hunger? Is it possible there is such a disconnect between my mind and body after years of mindless snacking and eating whatever I wanted, when I wanted and how much I wanted?

Will it ever go away? I feel WAY hungrier now than I did before (granted, I used to stuff myself way past the point of satiety on a regular basis).

Does anyone experience this and what do you to do to distract yourself from the deep, growling hunger inside? I need some good tricks or this is NEVER gonna work for me.

I am three days out. I am having the same problems. I feel like I'm starving. I think it really is head hunger, because what we are eating isn't what we are use to, and it's not "good"... it doesn't satisfy that hungry feeling.

I have tried the same stuff you have, and I don't feel satisfies. I just want more... I want food. This is hard.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am three days out. I am having the same problems. I feel like I'm starving. I think it really is head hunger, because what we are eating isn't what we are use to, and it's not "good"... it doesn't satisfy that hungry feeling.

I have tried the same stuff you have, and I don't feel satisfies. I just want more... I want food. This is hard.

I think you're right. It's such a deviation from how we've been living. For years I never put limits on what I ate or how much or when. 3 ice cream sandwiches at midnight? Sure! Going from that type of food mentality to this is drastic. Even during my pre op diet I was instructed to drink 2 Protein shakes and one meanl with lean Protein and veggies, so that was more than we can have now.

I'm 4.5 weeks out and was experiencing this deep, constant, gnawing hunger type pain in my stomach. I would have thought it was hunger, except I recognized it as the same type of pain I had when I had an ulcer a couple years ago. I'm on my 3rd day of meds for the ulcer and am already feeling better and that hunger type pain is fading.

I have no idea if that's what you're experiencing, but thought I would share just in case...

I'm 3.5 weeks out and I'm glad you posted this! I'm not taking in the total fluids, but I am pretty sure now that i've just started soft food, Fluid intake changes.

I've also experiencd Constipation, but that was normal for me pre surgery.

When I do eat, especially now with more solid food, it is fulfilling the hunger for a while, but I do still get hungry!!

I also suffer from severe sleep apnea and take ambien at night to sleep. I wasn't able to tolerate cpap due to asthma, which is why I had sleeve done.

So I was blaming hunger on lack of sleep and ambien, which hunger is side effect.

Not sure if any of you have been experiencing an emotional rollercoaster as well! I've had a smooth sail with this surgery so far other than these issues.. But it is discouraging because I thought hunger would be gone.. Hopefully, once I lose more, apnea will reverse and it will have less affect!

I'm 4.5 weeks out and was experiencing this deep, constant, gnawing hunger type pain in my stomach. I would have thought it was hunger, except I recognized it as the same type of pain I had when I had an ulcer a couple years ago. I'm on my 3rd day of meds for the ulcer and am already feeling better and that hunger type pain is fading.

I have no idea if that's what you're experiencing, but thought I would share just in case...

Oh, no! I am so sorry about the ulcer. My brother has had them from taking too much ibuprofen (he suffers from debilitating cluster headaches). I remember he and I went skiing for his birthday years ago and he was in so much pain (his stomach). We took him to the urgent care in Lake Tahe and they guessed ulcers. When he got home, he had an endoscopy and sure enough- ulcers!

I'm almost positive I don't have an ulcers at this time, but yes, I believe that it can mimic the gnawing hunger feeling. I am glad your ulcer meds are working.

Antacids are not enough. You need a PPI to lower your stomach acid production. Your body is still producing acid for a full size stomach. It takes a few months to balance out. At one year I don't take Antacids or a PPI but I did the first 6 to 9 months and it made life a lot easier.

Also like someone else said. Most hunger is dehydration.

I'm 3.5 weeks out and I'm glad you posted this! I'm not taking in the total fluids, but I am pretty sure now that i've just started soft food, Fluid intake changes.

I've also experiencd Constipation, but that was normal for me pre surgery.

When I do eat, especially now with more solid food, it is fulfilling the hunger for a while, but I do still get hungry!!

I also suffer from severe sleep apnea and take ambien at night to sleep. I wasn't able to tolerate cpap due to asthma, which is why I had sleeve done.

So I was blaming hunger on lack of sleep and ambien, which hunger is side effect.

Not sure if any of you have been experiencing an emotional rollercoaster as well! I've had a smooth sail with this surgery so far other than these issues.. But it is discouraging because I thought hunger would be gone.. Hopefully, once I lose more, apnea will reverse and it will have less affect!

Hey there! I don't have sleep apnea but I do use ambien to sleep sometimes. I'm a night owl and occasionally an insomniac. Crap. I didn't know it made a person hungrier. Lol. Great. Just what I need.

I'm totally with you on the emotional roller coaster! I've been thinking about and researching WLS for 2 years. I finally get the guts to go ahead with it- pay for it OUT OF POCKET (no co morbid conditions and was denied by insurance), and after all that- having regrets!!!!???

I think these feelings are quite common and will go away in time. Plus, like you, I've been so blessed to not have had any complications (at least not yet).

Truth be told, I know I am a food addict and it's going to take some brain retraining to sever the connection between head and stomach.

Some days I feel pretty good mentally and others are a struggle. I was an Cymbalta for anxiety and depression byway and depression runs in my family. I had post partum depression after the birth of my only child , so this doesn't really surprise me.

Hope you and I both feel better soon. XO

Antacids are not enough. You need a PPI to lower your stomach acid production. Your body is still producing acid for a full size stomach. It takes a few months to balance out. At one year I don't take Antacids or a PPI but I did the first 6 to 9 months and it made life a lot easier.

Also like someone else said. Most hunger is dehydration.

I am taking the PPI omeprazole. Still hungry. Last night after I posted, the hunger did subside a little- chewing the gum, drinking the tea seemed to help.

I think being on liquids it's hard to really be satisfied. I guess I'll just have to distract myself when I feel the hunger and drink more Water.

I have to take cymbalta, which is an antidepressant. They aren't HUGE pills... but they are capsules and bigger. So I am scared they will get stuck. I normally take 2 a day. Since surgery I have been taking 1 a day. Trying to lower my dosage a little. I would love to come off them, but the side effects from withdrawal are almost unbearable. I am noticing some headaches and the weird feeling I get when I haven't taken it. So I'm guessing it's starting to kick in and realize in not giving my brain what it's use to.

So the emotional rollercoaster I completely understand.... from both view points. The surgery and coming off anti depressants.

My 4 year old is loud and wants to yell... it makes my head spin. Everything is on my nerves, and my feelings are hurt because everyone around me can eat what they want, and I can't.

Cymbalta withdrawals are no joke!! I been through it several times. It's best to taper down the dose under the care of a doctor (I know that's not always practical). The withdrawals are mean but it can be done.

I can't imagine coming off medication after surgery - I'm struggling with the surgery enough on its own. I have so much respect for those of you battling with that on top of everything else

Sent from my iPod touch using the BariatricPal App

Thanks @ Browneyedgirl41, oddly enough, I find cooking and baking relaxing! I don't feel hungry because I am smelling (not tasting anymore) the food. Stepping up with some type of exercise may help me change my food focus, tire me out and help with weight loss. My kids are grown, hubby is retired and is kind of a grazer, so I end up cooking for others, dad, grandkids etc. You are right, I grew up Italian, food is a huge part of our families traditions, show of affection..I never had any weight issues all my life till peri menopause after 43..

Yesterday I turned 60..60lbs.and sleep apnea are in my way of perfect health so I am on a mission to rid myself of both!!

We can do this! Keep up the good work!!

I have to take cymbalta, which is an antidepressant. They aren't HUGE pills... but they are capsules and bigger. So I am scared they will get stuck. I normally take 2 a day. Since surgery I have been taking 1 a day. Trying to lower my dosage a little. I would love to come off them, but the side effects from withdrawal are almost unbearable. I am noticing some headaches and the weird feeling I get when I haven't taken it. So I'm guessing it's starting to kick in and realize in not giving my brain what it's use to.

So the emotional rollercoaster I completely understand.... from both view points. The surgery and coming off anti depressants.

My 4 year old is loud and wants to yell... it makes my head spin. Everything is on my nerves, and my feelings are hurt because everyone around me can eat what they want, and I can't.

I take it too- one 60 mg capsule a day. Since it was in capsule form, I was allowed to swallow it right away after surgery and it goes down just fine but it's a medium sized capsule. Perhaps your pharmacy could give it to you in a different form?

I have tried to withdrawal from it. The brain zaps are horrible. Kind of wish I never started taking it but I was crying all the time. My son, who was 5 at the time, asked me, "Mommy, why are you so sad all the time?" That's when I knew I had to get on something for depression and it helps. It really does help but I sometimes would like to clear my body of it for awhile.

Tell me about it! My husband made pancakes for our son, who is now 9, this morning. I grabbed a Protein drink and high tailed it out of the kitchen. I used to love Sunday morning pancakes. I'll be able to partake again- someday, on a limited basis I hope.

I hope your 4 year old takes a nap today!