Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Abdominal binders. Are they worth it?

I was looking at bariatric abdominal binders on Amazon. The one I'm looking at costs about $35. Is it worth having for the surgery?

I used a pregnancy belly band on and off for the first three weeks it helped me a lot, I used it for short periods of time like on my walks - it made me feel less pain. I paid $19 at Walmart I think and it's wide and soft.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was looking at bariatric abdominal binders on Amazon. The one I'm looking at costs about $35. Is it worth having for the surgery?

Hi Evenya, how soon did you wear it after surgery?

Sent from my VS985 4G using the BariatricPal App

I haven't had my surgery yet. My guess is that it will be in November? I'm considering getting the binder to help with the pain while walking. I've heard it helps but I wanted more input from others.

I bought that one from Amazon I think. I would say not not worth it. Only used like a day or two and could have done without. Save money for heating pad or extra nice pillow!

I didn't even know this was a thing.... honestly, I couldn't imagine having worn a binder post-op. Walking actually helps alleviate the pain, and so adding a binder on top of it when your body is trying to rid itself of the gas used for the surgery just doesn't add up in my head anyways.

I didn't even know this was a thing.... honestly, I couldn't imagine having worn a binder post-op. Walking actually helps alleviate the pain, and so adding a binder on top of it when your body is trying to rid itself of the gas used for the surgery just doesn't add up in my head anyways.

I wore one for a few weeks after surgery. It wasn't about the gas pain which, in my case, was gone after the first couple days, but for the pain where my pouch was stitched to the muscle lining my skin. When I lay down that stitch lined up and there was no pain but when I stood or sat the stitch pulled intensely on the muscle and caused pain. The binder really helped to hold the skin tight and not have so much pain. After a few weeks that stitch dissolved just as it was supposed to and the pain left, I haven't needed the binder since.

Jo x

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I bought one to help as I returned to work post-op.

I had zero need for it for my VSG....but thought it'd help with the abdominal hernia that was repaired at the same time.

If it was for VSG alone.....no, I'd not have wasted the money.

I used one for the first two weeks after surgery and loved it!! I didn't have any gas pain it was more about the support for the muscle pain....really helped when sleeping on my side. I wore it from the day I came home from the hospital and on and off thru about two weeks......I used one my daughter had after having a c-section.

I bought and used one the first week when walking around and it helped a lot. Once I started feeling better and no more tummy pain, I haven't used it. It's put away now, maybe in a year if I have a Tummy Tuck I can use it again.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

My hospital gave me one right after surgery. It was a huge help for me and I lived in the thing for the first week or so. It helped so much when getting up and down to have something hold my incisions so they didn't feel like they were pulling.

I spoke to my doctor prior to surgery whcih I had an advanced RNY and she suggested a binder for both muscle pain and support for weight loss during the first year while working on reestablishing muscle control and core strength. As my weight comes off (since my surgery was Ocrtober 28, 2015) I do use it alternating days and times when needed for either moral or abdominal support. Just make sure that while you eating take it off, as gastric restriction and nausea will be more prevelant when wearing a binder. As one other person mentioned my insurance covered my binder and was ordered through the hospital where there was no copay. Now that I have lost 145 lbs the two binders that I had to use I can now use seperately. This knowledge was quite a ego booster when we are often looking of confirmation of our sucess. Hope this helps.

I have been looking also, I used a post partum binder after C-section to help with skin and muscles... think it will help after rny also?

Hope Your Day is Great,

*Amber*

The Starving Mom

starvingmom.wordpress.com

“I'm not telling you it's going to be easy - I'm telling you it's going to

be worth it.” - Art Williams

I have been looking also, I used a post partum binder after C-section to help with skin and muscles... think it will help after rny also?

Hope Your Day is Great,

*Amber*

The Starving Mom

starvingmom.wordpress.com

“I'm not telling you it's going to be easy - I'm telling you it's going to

be worth it.” - Art Williams

Yes the one I used was actually the one my daughter got right after her C-Section. It worked wonderfully!