Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Prepared for new life?

My surgeons office has been amazing with providing information and walking me through this process. They are a nationally accredited center of excellence and I think they are wonderful. I've scoured the Internet and forums for real life experience. Based on all the research I've done I think I have mentally prepared for and could handle a certain amount of food disagreement, some possible throwing up/dry heaves/diarrhea forever. Never being able to eat quickly, without thinking, or while drinking liquids. I'm prepared for my hair to fall out, stalls here and there, emotional ups and down, not being able to turn to food for comfort, not eating the same as everyone else in social situations. No carbonation, drinking with straws, or coffee and alcohol for a while at least. I think I might even be able to handle a leak.

What I don't think I could handle is more extreme complications that I have read about on the boards. Not being able to hold anything but liquids for years, having the wear adult diapers because of the uncontrollable diarrhea, not being able to tolerate any foods, having my esophagus destroyed from reflux and needing to convert to bypass, frequent hospitalization from complications, being too weak to take care of my 4 children.

I am 34yrs old 235lbs and 5'6", so definitely obese, but I'm healthy otherwise and don't have a problem being fairly active with my children right now.

Did you go into this process thinking whatever the outcome it would be worth it? Because there are very real outcomes that could destroy my life and the life of my family that I'm petrified of happening. I've read quite a few horror stories on hear and gone back to the persons original posting and they start like the rest of us. So excited for this process, they have done all the research, can't wait for their lives to change....and then one horrible complication after another and they wish they could go back in time.

I know these complications are rare, but they happen to someone....someone's mother, father, sister, brother, etc. And I've been working myself into a tail spin lately. My husband told me to stop "Web MDing that sh$t and trust I've done the research and have a great Dr and those things are rare." He also said if there was a surgery for quitting smoking or drinking or any other addiction people would be doing that left and right, which I thought was a great point too. I just can't imagine doing anything that would hurt my family since I so desperately want this to be even better for them.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@ The complications you described are extreme. You don't know the history of those people or if they followed the plan. Your chance of developing significant obesity related disease is high. If you don't lose weight now - you most likely will have hypertension, possibly diabetes, be at risk for a stroke or heart attack, develop joint pain or degenerative disc disease. You have done your research and know what you have to do. You've chosen an excellent surgeon. Stay off Web MD and the negative threads on here.

Every surgery has risks. I Read all the bad outcomes. But thought it was a good choice for me to go ahead with surgery. I worried till I got to the hospital. The Drs and nurses were fabulous. I talked to my anesthesiologist till I don't remember. I woke up and it was done. The first 2 days I had diarrhea. Of course I read that some people have it forever. But just like my info packet said I might have it for 2 days is gone and I'm fine. Everyday gets easier. I wAs mad reading all the posts that people felt great from day 1 after surgery. I was nauseous a lot the first few days. But I'm 12 days out and doing fine. I too wish I did it 10 years ago. But better late than never. Do what your heart tells you. Don't over think it. Just think what life will be like in 3 months. 6 months etc.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Your husband is a smart man. I'd listen to him. I had to convert to bypass from sleeve 2 years post op because of uncontrollable acid reflux. Even with that "complication" I'd have surgery once a month if need be to maintain my current lifestyle. I say go for it!

I was the same way. I still kind of am. I'm 3 weeks post op and it's almost like I'm waiting for something to go wrong although I feel great. I haven't had a second of nausea, have been able to tolerate everything I've eaten and overall just feel great. People would ask me before the surgery what I was worried about and I would say the same things you mentioned above. You've just got to trust the process and trust your body. My body has always done what it was supposed to. It's healed as it should and responded to medications as it should. There is a risk with any surgery but they are so rare and usually only happen to people with pre-existing medical conditions. That's what I have to keep telling myself anyway. I feel like elective surgeries are always scary but being afraid of something that rarely happens isn't a reason to not do it. Again, things I have to keep telling myself. [emoji6] We are young (also 34) and healthy and there is no reason to think we'll be one of the unlucky ones. My surgeon has done thousands (not sure exactly how many) of surgeries and has never had a complication. I bet yours hasn't either. If you look on this forum and compare how many people say it's the best thing theyve ever done to how many people regret it, it's like a thousand to one. I would say that the odds are in your favor.

Edited by kelliev2015

My stats are similar to yours, with the exception of age. Im 48. 5'5" and at surgery was 227. @@kelliev2015 hit the nail on the head as I too am waiting to feel awful....i actually feel TOO good cuz it makes me think I can do way more than I should. I literally have to keep reminding myself that I had surgery 5 days ago and to not lift, not exercise and just take it easy. I am beginning to believe that how you go into it mentally has a lot to do with how you recover. That being said, there are certainly people out there who have complications and other medical issues that can make this recovery difficult, Im not minimizing that at all. But i do believe that if other than your weight, you are basically healthy and you go into it with a positive attitude, your recovery will be easier than you think. 6 days out...ZERO pain, ZERO nausea, just some occasional uncomfortable gas bubbles. Im still having a difficult time getting my Water in, but literally every day, i notice an improvement.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Most of those complications are extremely rare with the exception of GERD. I have GERD, but had it before the surgery but chose to move forward because in my opinion, the benefits clearly outweighed the risks.

I have perfect labs, perfect blood pressure, perfect resting heart rate, and I am at a normal, healthy weight. I look and feel 39 instead of 49. I can run 3 miles and climb almost 100 flights of stairs on the Stair Master. I think having to take a little pill every day for GERD is a small price to pay.

Far more benefits than risks.

Great post and I love LOVE the responses!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

I researched wls for several years before choosing my bariatric program, surgeon and the sleeve. I give you credit for going into it with your eyes wide open. VSG is a life changing surgery and should not be taken lightly. And I believe the more you are ready, the better you will do. Knowledge is power. You can use what you learn to stack the odds in your favor. Learn from other's mistakes and use the resources available to you through your program to answer your questions and provide information. Just be sure what you read comes from a reputable source. Following the rules is critical, especially in the beginning. There are risks involved. Looking at the statistics for the complications and knowing what to watch for and what the treatment for those complications was is what helped me to feel more comfortable.

That being said, my experience has been nothing short of AMAZING! And I know you will see this over and over, but it was the best decision (other than marrying my Husband), that I ever made. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Thank you all so much!! You are all so wonderfully uplifting. I think I know all the bad and will just focus on the positive going forward. I too believe attitude has so much to do with it, and I definitely need to stop putting nervous/anxious juju out into the universe!!

My daughter was sleeved 2 and half years ago at the age of 17. She lost 150 pounds. She suffered no complications except her gallbladder had to come out at the very end of the first year. It was without a doubt the best possible thing anyone obese can do for themselves. She is an active 19 year old in her second year of University and she has never looked back! Dancielady the rest of your real life begins soon...

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using the BariatricPal App