Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Surgery Freak Outs

I received my surgery date (9/20) and all of a sudden, I'm freaking out. Is this the right thing for me? I've tried diets, and exercise but I don't know how dedicated I was to it. Maybe I haven't tried hard enough yet on my own... The sleeve is SO permanent and once I do it, there is no turning back. Is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Mine is the same day as yours! I had those same freak outs but Ive tried almost everything to keep this weight off. I feel like everyone goes through the pre freakouts once they actually get accepted.

This is completely normal!! I had my surgery booked about a month and a half before, and it didn't hit me until about 1-2 weeks prior where I was second guessing everything. Even down to the day we flew down to Mexico I was freaking out. But now that I'm post-op and seeing results from my hard work (whereas I would rarely see results before), it's all been worth it. But this choice is purely your own, you have to be certain this is what you want. Just keep in mind those questions and doubts are normal.

It was easier for me to decide.

i was 47 years old. I'd had plenty of experience losing and regaining weight.

I'd lost as much as 120 lbs in a health kick at 45 years old.....only to regain after an injury and surgical repair that kept me outa the gym for a while. I healed but turned that "while" into way too long.

Anyway.....a bulging disc at T-12 knocked me on my arse. Outa work for an extended period trying to heal it and avoid surgery. Back surgeon suggested bariatric surgery and that losing a significant amount of weight would allow my back to heal itself.

Suffice to say that pain is a powerful motivator.

That back injury was the most painful thing I've ever experienced....and that includes knee surgeries, broken bones and two prior hernia repairs......those back spasms were a beyotch.

Within a month of having my VSG my back started to heal. At five months I was taking vacations and having an absolute blast. Live was good again........and has been ever since.

Weight is coming off nicely.

I can eat anything I choose to eat, just choosing weight loss friendly foods now.

I can eat smallish to normal sized portions at meals.

Nobody I'd meet today would ever know I'd had wls if they didn't see older pictures. Nothing in my daily life would reveal this.

Living like a normal person......eating normal foods......normal portions.

What, exactly, is your fear ??????????????????

A better life awaits you.

Get lean.

Enjoy the results.

Gotta run. 14 hour shift awaits me.....and I have tons of energy to burn. Will even hit the gym during lunch break.

VSG life is good !!!!

Edit: VSG life is GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As many others will say, this was the best decision of my life. It is normal to be scared leading up to the surgery. I was still thinking the oh my gosh what am I doing thoughts as they put my on the operating table. But now 11 months later I am so grateful for the new lease on life I have been given and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I've not posted yet, but lurked for months. I can relate 10000% to the presurgery freak outs. I'm scheduled on Sept 7. And second-guessing my decision almost every time I see food. I'm on my presurgery diet which allows me to eat small amounts of food (abt 600 calories), so I'm starving. And I hate the feeling of being hungry. That's why I am fat. It's so helpful to read success stories @@Dub I needed to read that I *should* be able to eat normally in the future. I needed to read that this morning--thanks to all the amazing vets that share their wisdom and stories! You are impacting more people than you know! Now off to find my liquid Protein breakfast....

I received my surgery date (9/20) and all of a sudden, I'm freaking out. Is this the right thing for me? I've tried diets, and exercise but I don't know how dedicated I was to it. Maybe I haven't tried hard enough yet on my own... The sleeve is SO permanent and once I do it, there is no turning back. Is this normal?

Have you watched any YouTube videos about WLS or gastric sleeve? I highly recommend them, they are kinda like video diaries of the entire process and help me a lot. I love Clusie L (you search and find her) but recently I have become a huge fan of Less of Sarah. She addresses this very topic. Yes, WLS is drastic, but the odds or a person losing 50 pounds and keeping them off for at least 5 years is 2%. Seriously 2%. Most of us have more than 50 pounds to lose (I have twice that much) I like the surgery odds of keeping it off much better. I can't keep going on like this forever.