Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone, I am 5 days post op, still in a lot of pain was hoping I would be fine by now. One of my wounds has got an infection and I'm on medicine for that spoke to my doctor she has said its because I'm not getting any Proteins ...I have no desire to eat nor drink I'm forcing myself half a cup of Water a day I'm starting to feel like I shouldn't of done this

Start weight - 123kg

CW -117kg

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Clearly half a cup of Water isn't enough. Try peppermint tea in the morning. Soften the Water with some crystal light, if it's too sweet, only put in half the powder. I'm into my third week and only now can drink plain water. First week or two sip, sip, sip. I can now drink normally.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

Right after surgery, your body is in a major heal mode for a couple weeks and it is difficult for some patients to meet their daily Fluid and Protein requirements. But keep trying each day and you should be able to get there. The three most important elements after gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

Weight loss is achieved after RNY gastric bypass surgery through meal volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as Protein shakes.

@@ellsmayy

Tough love warning here........YOU MUST STAY FULLY HYDRATED! No matter how badly you don't want to eat or drink anything it is a necessity. You will likely end up with complications if you don't take control now.

The more dehydrated you get, the less you want to drink and eat. This is because dehydration causes nausea, headache, weakness and if you let it go long enough.....it can be life threatening.

The first thing you need to do is get your fluids in and then you need to focus on Protein.

Your doctor is also right about Protein is very necessary for healing so you need to figure out what will work for you.

Of course in this moment you will regret your surgery but honestly you are not doing your part to make yourself well. You will continue to feel crappy until you begin to get your fluids in.

If you continue to go without protein, you will not heal properly and the potential is there for your hair to fall out among other things. You already have an infection so you need to follow the doctors plan for you.

This is not to be mean, but what were your expectations following surgery? You had to know that you would be required to drink fluids and protein for a long time to come.

I do understand it is hard and also most of us cannot come remotely close to 64oz of Fluid in the first week but we certainly can do better than 1/2 cup of Water.

You will feel better quickly when you start drinking Water and protein.

I wish you the best and hope you are able to start moving forward.

@@Djmohr is, as usual, right on the money. I know it sucks right now, but eating and drinking isn't about "wanting" or "feeling like you can/should", it's about giving your body the tools it needs to survive this big upheaval and to thrive and be healthy moving forward. Pretty much all of us have to unfortunately force ourselves to eat and drink, but think of it like medicine, which it is! It may not be appetizing, it may not be pleasant, and it may be hard to get down, but you wouldn't refuse to take medicine because of these reasons if you truly needed it to make you better. food and Water are your medicine right now. You must find a way to get them in. If you don't you'll become one of those statistics attached to bad words like "noncompliance" "major complications" and maybe even "death" if you let it go long enough. Good luck! It gets easier, trust me. Have you spoken to your doctor about nausea medication to help you get your liquid/protein in?

@@ellsmayy

Tough love warning here........YOU MUST STAY FULLY HYDRATED! No matter how badly you don't want to eat or drink anything it is a necessity. You will likely end up with complications if you don't take control now.

The more dehydrated you get, the less you want to drink and eat. This is because dehydration causes nausea, headache, weakness and if you let it go long enough.....it can be life threatening.

The first thing you need to do is get your fluids in and then you need to focus on Protein.

Your doctor is also right about Protein is very necessary for healing so you need to figure out what will work for you.

Of course in this moment you will regret your surgery but honestly you are not doing your part to make yourself well. You will continue to feel crappy until you begin to get your fluids in.

If you continue to go without protein, you will not heal properly and the potential is there for your hair to fall out among other things. You already have an infection so you need to follow the doctors plan for you.

This is not to be mean, but what were your expectations following surgery? You had to know that you would be required to drink fluids and protein for a long time to come.

I do understand it is hard and also most of us cannot come remotely close to 64oz of Fluid in the first week but we certainly can do better than 1/2 cup of Water.

You will feel better quickly when you start drinking Water and protein.

I wish you the best and hope you are able to start moving forward.

I have had my gastric band out 3 months ago and bypass this gone Sunday... Two totally different experiences .... The band made me drink less in life anyway but now I've just take two sips of water and I'm standing over the toilet reaching to be sick!!! I knew it wouldn't be easy .... Doctors never really said anything about protein until after and 1 I HATE milk and everything about it and 2 protein powders do not agree with me!!! I'm really struggling to find the light at the end of the tunnel the only time I feel okay is when laying down.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@ellsmayy that does not sound normal. It's almost always a struggle in the beginning but being physically unable to drink even a couple sips without getting sick? Not good. I would strongly suggest you talk to your doctor, and make sure you let him/her know that you are not able to get even Water in without being sick. You may have a stricture or some other complication that can be fixed relatively easily.

@@ellsmayy I encourage you to find something you tolerate or you will be hospitalized and get fluids through an IV. There's plenty of fluids you can try - tea, crystal light, broth, Powerade Zero, Vitamin Water Zero, infused water, sugar free popsicles, ice chips, crushed ice with Crystal light, Isopure Protein Drinks, Atkins Lift... Find something you can drink and if you can't - call your surgeon or go to ER.