Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need some help/support + blood in my urine

Yesterday marked 1 month post op for me. Yippee. But I spent the day running around to doctors. The day before I'd gone on a hike. I do this often. I've always been very active and hiking isn't new for me. But that night I had a lot of blood in my urine, which I've never had in my life. The next morning, my urine was very concentrated and also filled with blood. I called my surgeon's office and they said I needed to be seen that day, but they couldn't see me, so go to an urgent care clinic. I called my primary care doc first but they also said - I should be seen but they couldn't see me, go to an urgent care clinic. They assumed it was probably a UTI since I wasn't having pain. The urine test showed lots of blood, but no infection. The PA there was really nice. She said I needed to have this looked into more and have some imaging done. She suggested either calling my doctor today or going to the ER (same building) last night. Since we were there, we went to ER. That doctor was totally useless though. You could tell she didn't want to deal with that. 3 hours there and she only did another urine test. The same thing they'd done an hour before, through the same lab, at the same hospital. Surprisingly, it showed the same results! She told me it could just be from the exercise, that I'd gone on a long hike. I told her that was not new. I've exercised a lot in the past and that hike was common. She told me maybe I just bleed regularly. I told her no I don't and she argued that how could she know that when she didn't have other urine tests to compare. Ugh. I could see we were getting nowhere, so I just agreed with her and got out of there. I called my surgeon's office back and am waiting to hear from him.

Here is what I need some help with. I feel like I'm failing! It should not be rocket science to get in enough fluids and Protein, yet I fail at it all the time! I know what I need to do, but it seems like I can't make it happen. I go to bed feeling defeated because I'd intended on doing so good that day, but still have fallen short. I do seem to hit the minimum 60 grams of Protein a day, but they said I should be doing more like 78. I seem to end my nights in the 50 oz range for Water. I bought a 30 oz tumbler that keeps my Water cold all day. I carry it everywhere. I really do try. That's what's so frustrating.

Yesterday the surgeon's nurse lectured me on the phone and it's not that I don't understand how important it is. I don't need to be scolded, I need some tips on how to make this work!!!

What gets me is you can't drink before or after eating. So I don't get water because of that. Then it seems like if I forget my water for any reason for a little while, I just can't make up for it. Like I went on a walk and forgot it or went to the store and forgot it, but then I can't catch up on it even with continuous sipping.

I'm not really getting enough calories in either, but jeepers if I try eating more often, it means I drink less often. I'm not doing as many shakes because I get such bad diarrhea from them, even lactose free ones or with taking Lactaid pills. Which, of course, then makes me even more dehydrated.

I've been waking up with dehydration headaches, and it just makes me angry because I really am trying. Now the scare with blood in the urine, which I wonder if it's related. I just want to do this right, but I'm really struggling!!! Like I said, I wish my doctor's office had given me some tips to help me succeed, not just scolded me. She even was kind enough to tell me she thought I'd have a bigger problem with hair loss at 3 months because of how I'm doing. That really makes me feel great. So I'm hoping that some of you maybe struggled with this and figured out ways to do better. I know it doesn't seem like rocket science. I'm a smart person who usually does what she sets her mind to, so it really annoys me that I can't do this right!!!

@@BarefootDrummer Sorry you're dealing with this! The blood in the urine could very well be from the exercise and dehydration combination. You definitely need to follow-up with this though. I would schedule an appointment with your PCP and they will probably refer you to a Urologist, Nephrologist or Uro-Gynecologist. I went to both a Urologist (man) and a Uro-Gynecologist (woman) and found that the URO-Gyn was much more helpful. The male urologist did all sorts of tests and basically told me I don't pee often enough. You will probably need a catscan (with contrast of your bladder and kidneys). But - it may just all be from dehydration especially if you know you're not getting enough water/fluids. You will need even more than 64ozs if exercising - especially in the heat. So - here's my advice. Set a timer to remind you to start drinking (30 minutes after you eat - stop 30 minutes before you eat - or whatever your program requirements are). You don't only need to drink Water - you can drink a Protein drink (which will help you get the Protein and fluids at the same time). Try the Atkins Lift or Isopure, Syntrax, etc. rather than the milky type shakes. Be prepared - always have fluids with you (keep several bottles in your car if you forget). Drink Decaf tea, crystal light, Powerade zero, broth, Vitamin Water zero. Have sugar free popsicles. Always have fluids with you - make it your routine to grab your car keys and a bottle of water. Good luck!

I am so sorry you are having such difficulties and that the ER was so very unhelpful last night (as a non medical professional to give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe they were slammed with trauma patients...)

Anyway, as to your Protein and fluids. It sounds like you could benefit from at least one more Protein shake. When I was early out, if I was short, I took a Premier Protein to bed with me (30 grams Protein and 11 oz fluid), and didn't turn out the lights to go to sleep until I had finished it. If you can't find a Protein Shake that works for you, you may have to keep looking for a protein rich snack or drink.

Have you tried the ProtiDiet liquid beverage concentrates? They come in light, fruity flavors and are a great way to add Water to your protein.

Also, if you are in the habit of forgetting your Water you may need to get in the habit of carrying spare change and buying water when you are out. Bottled water can be expensive.

I run through drive throughs all the time and just order iced water. Some of them give you a small complimentary water, some charge a small amount, and some charge full drink prices, so just pay attention.